Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eladidare

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I went up to see the "Australian Venom Zoo" in Kuranda the other day and i was very unimpressed of the little tin shed to say the least.
For starters, I was taken on a guided tour of this so called zoo, and the first thing i saw was the boyds forest dragon, which was dead... there was a grand total of 5 species of venomous snakes, one of which was named as a king brown which looked much more like a Butlers to me, and the highlight of my day was the black whipsnake which i was told on the tour by the owner stuart douglas, that they could jump 3 foot in the air and crack its tail like a whip.
the next thing on the list was the olive python which had scale rot.
There is nothing i hate more than people who dont look after their animals but the way that stuart douglas treats his staff is disgraceful, it has to be seen to be believed.

But one thing took the cake on the day, the fact he actually thinks he is the best elapid handler in queensland!
stuart douglas...what a joke!!!

I went up to see the "Australian Venom Zoo" in Kuranda the other day and i was very unimpressed of the little tin shed to say the least.
For starters, I was taken on a guided tour of this so called zoo, and the first thing i saw was the boyds forest dragon, which was dead... there was a grand total of 5 species of venomous snakes, one of which was named as a king brown which looked much more like a Butlers to me, and the highlight of my day was the black whipsnake which i was told on the tour by the owner stuart douglas, that they could jump 3 foot in the air and crack its tail like a whip.
the next thing on the list was the olive python which had scale rot.
There is nothing i hate more than people who dont look after their animals but the way that stuart douglas treats his staff is disgraceful, it has to be seen to be believed.

But one thing took the cake on the day, the fact he actually thinks he is the best elapid handler in queensland!
stuart douglas...what a joke!!!

damn dude that zoo sounds like it sucks, it s what u call a shih-tzu LOL
whipsnakes jumpin 3 ft in air and crackin there tails ?
i think stuart douglas must be on crack :lol:

Thats really dissapointing. Im sure even non snake people notice terrible and uninhabitable conditions in places like that.
By the way what is scale rot and what does it look like i have never heard of it?

This is pretty shocking. It seems one of these threads is popping up every week or two now. The sad thing is, all of these threads probably result in no action whatsoever from the authorites that be. Why? My guess is that despite there being numerous replies to these threads, how many people actually ring the authorites and report it, or speak to the owner/manager and demand action be taken or else it will be reported to the authories, as well as animal welfare organisations and the media. The main problem then would be getting the abovementioned to listen, which is unlikely if only one person is reporting the problem. What we need is to form a group, that will, upon seeing undeniable evidence and hearing first hand accounts, collectively begin filing complaints with the relevant authorites, animal welfare organisations and possibly the media, depending on the circumstances. There would need to be at least one person doing all the organizing and a number of people spread over various states and areas that can gather the evidence required to make a formal complaint. Once enough evidence has been gathered, all members of the group should then receive an email with all the facts, any evidence (i.e. photographic or written statements) and all the contact info required for complaints to begin being made (i.e. email addresses and phone numbers for the state's authorites, welfare organisations and possibly local media). The more people in the group, the more complaints are obviously going to be made and the more chance there is of something being done.

Now, i came up with the idea, who wants to take the next step and get it off the ground? I would happily be a member of such a group, but certainly don't have enough time to run the whole thing - not that it would take that much time, really all you would be doing organizing the email that would be sent to the members once a complaint was ready to be made and possibly asking other members to follow up the initial complaints. So if someone feels they have the time to take this up, then please do so. The neglected animals of Australia are calling you!

my mate has recently brought it to the attention of the appropriate authorities, we just have to wait and hope something is done.

As mentioned above, it sounds like it needs to be mentioned to the authorities.

Per

kuranda village, cairns...
its worth going just to see how rediculous stuart douglas is in person

By the way what is scale rot and what does it look like i have never heard of it?

It's a skin infection due to unhygenic conditions. It causes scales to die, forming scabs that drop off leaving raw flesh exposed. Not pleasant.

By the way eladidare, what was security like?? I would have stolen that Olive just to save it!

From hearing what you said I agree that something needs to be done but "wrap it up in one word "scale rot ="CRUELTY" is far from a fair staement, it may be in this case but not all!

i saw the place on totally wild the other day they were praising it!!

didnt look like much on the show either (very small) and some of the animals shown and mentioned were not even the right names!

the AUSTRALIAN VENOM ZOO is located in Kuranda village approc 30km from cairns its up kuranda range

Mr Bredli put it really well, report any situations like this to the relevent authorities and try to back up what you're saying with as much evidence as possible, photographs, video, written statements anything you can think of.

Bugger, all of micks taipans went up there to Stuart last year. Never heard of him before, we thought with it being a zoo they would be going to a good place.
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back