Accie Central

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We gave our son a couple of accies and an enclosure for his birthday. His birthday was a couple of weeks ago but he is still waiting for his licence .. which is a good thing because I only just finished the enclosure today.

This first pic is of the enclosure with no furnishings.

I decided to put it all together with biscuits so there are no screws showing from the outside.

ac0.jpg

The second is fully furnished. This one has some adult accies (the parents of what he is getting) checking it out.
ac1.jpg

It is also intended to be insect proof. While well ventilated all the vents are mesh at the back. There has been a foam strip added between the doors to cater for that gap. The airflow is in from the back, through the cupboard vents around the sand pit and out through the light cage at the top.

ac2.jpg

This is a shot of the lighting compartment which houses the lights, timer and thermostat - basically all of the wiring. This was intended to be a completely self contained unit with just a single power cord coming from the back.

ac4.jpg

Under the tub is heat tape which I tiled over. The thermostat is a Habistat mat stat which works well for heat mats or tape under 100 watts. The cord to the probe was just long enough hence I have mounted the controls at an odd angle so as not to over tighten the lead.
ac5.jpg

The same view but from below. Note the seal to make it insect proof.

ac6.jpg

I bought a tub from Bunnings to hold their digging .. and perhaps one day their laying pit. It does not look like it but there are porcelain tiles in the bottom.

ac7.jpg

I did not measure correctly so I put some filler foam around the lip so it would fit snugly.

ac8.jpg

The basking site works well for the parents (pictured) and the juveniles.

ac10.jpg

(and with a flash)

ac11.jpg

The furnishings are mounted on a panel so when it gets moved it can be taken out to reduce the weight. 6 coach bolts hold it in place:

ac11.jpg

Between the platforms are ramps and holes for the accies to climb through. (Pictured is one of our adult females).

ac14.jpg

So what do ya recon?

The animals seem to like it and we think it looks great. I will be quite disappointed when my son's licence comes through and we have to deliver the enclosure and its inhabitants to him. It has been a lot of fun watching them today.

(I don't take commisions.)

Yes we have some accie eggs in the incubator and judging by the look of the girl in the picture we may have some more in the not too distant future. They will be advertised on the Herp Trader when available.​

Last edited:
OMG thats sik!!!!!! i soooooooo want a pair of accies but nooooooooo 2 snakes is "enuff" PFFFFTTT

Great enclosure.
Do those downlights throw out much heat?

50 watts a pop + 20 watts for the flouro. 100 watts total on the basking spot seems pretty reasonable. It can be adjusted if required by adding extra lights, reducing the wattages etc.

There is also heat tape under the tiles in the base. About 30 watts worth from memory. This helps set the ambient temperature for most of the enclosure.

That looks terrific! I bet the ackies love the climbing apparatus :)
I like the idea of having the sand in the tub at the bottom - very good!

never seen ackies kept in an arboreal set up,seems to work well for you

In the wild they tend to live in rocky situations such as escarpments so I was trying to match that.

To go down they have a tendency to jump from the higher platforms which is a bit off putting but it is obviously intentional and had never done them harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back