Ackie Bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or do these guys pack a punch! I just recieved a nasty bull dog type bite from my male ackie he held on and pulsed his bite force about five times . The actual trauma to the area he bit is not that bad but the pain jeepers!!, feels like when i got a cat fish barb in my hand once , sure these guys are not venomous?

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 303
lol no a ambulance is for serious injuries..

Isn't it debated that monitor saliva isn't just full of bacteria but they may have oral toxin producing glands or in other words venom.

it isn't fun til a gecko bites! see ppl they do tag well! accept I agree it's like a bulldog, some really do shake their heads too. thats the best bite I've seen tho

Looks like it's swelled quite a bit for such a small bite (or is that just your normal thumb):)!

I was once bitten by a wild V. Kingorum with much the same result; certainly felt like there was some venom involved.

Totally agree, ackie bites are disproportionally painful for an animal that size. There is generally a lot of blood and while they are biting you can really feel their teeth tearing up your skin. Their teeth must be like little razors.

I also experienced localized swelling and itching so wouldn't be surprised to learn that there is something that caused it in their saliva.

Spot on! Recent work over the years by Dr. B. Fry has demonstrated that monitors possess a venom gland in the lower jaw.

Yeah it defiantly hurt more than it should of , so they do have some kind of toxin in there , the pain stopped almost exactly at about 10 minutes like there was nothing.

Cunningham's skinks bite harder than ackies.

I have never had the pleasure although i have seen a guy get mauled buy a bluey , seemed painful by his reaction.

Had a beardie bite straight through my thumbnail once. Not pleasant.

A friend of mine has had his hand ripped to pieces from an over exited Lacie at feeding time. He had to be rushed to hospital in an ambulance and get plastic surgery on his hand. Fingers had to be reattached..

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah A bit scary they can inflict a fair bit of trauma in a very short amount of time and to back it up they have a painful venom and a nasty bacteria if everything else doesn't work ,,.. this all reminds me very much of a one night stand i once had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back