ackie introduction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python_guy44

Reaction score
a question for all ackie know how ppl's.

I have been finding it fairly hard to find a pair of ackies.
I was wondering if its ok to get them from seperately and introduce them.
from some sources i have read it says they must be introduced when very young and others say differently.

thankyou in advance

jeremy

i am pretty sure the guy i got my ackie off had just introduced 3 ackies. 2 of them paired up and hav bred since then. The 3rd ackie got picked on and bashed so i now own him.

It's best two buy a pair thats been housed together or buy them as hatchlings, they can be introduced but it can be very ugly so it's best to go for the safe option.
There should be plenty around over the next few months.

Ok i found this webpage on the pro exotics site which is a breeding strategy for breeding.
A must see for anyone who is going to get ackies and intends in later days to breed.
http://www.proexotics.com/monitor_breeding.html

i found this very usefull and now will be settling for a pair/trio of ackie hatchlings.

thankyou everyone for your help.

if i do get a trio of hatchling ackies is it possible that one of them may get the boot like wat has happened to brendan (ackie). Or was that just because they were introduced?

i have often heard of 2 females with one male

PS: How big are hatchling ackies roughly and are they hell easy to rear

BS i dont know why you said that but anyway...
If i do get hatchies would it be ok to put them in an enclosure 4 ft x 2 ft x 2ft.
IS there such thing as too big for hatchlings.

yes if the hole is too big they wil escape :D what i wanted to know are hatchling ridge taileds like the size of say a beardie or water dragon hatchling or what

you said is anything too big for hatchies and if there is a hodle in the cage too big it wil run out of the hole and then you will not own it and it would suck

oh ok.

i ment is there such thing as a too big enclosure or do they appreciate the room as long as they can run,hide,thermoregulate etc. etc.

but i do see your point bs.

lol. PG44, I believe the bigger the better. As long as they know where their water, basking spots and all those type of things are, your enclosure sounds fine. JMO.
P.S The book AUSTRALIAN GOANNAS, by Matt Vincent & Steve Wilson is a fantastic book and from people who really know what they are talking about! $32.00 per copy from the herp shop is well worth it in my mind.
Good luck
Simon

BS a hatchling ackie is tiny, check out this pick if the attachment works.
My ackie ended up with a few broken toes (so did the evil ackies)

Attachments

• lilackie.jpg
    lilackie.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 28
Wow, that is tiny!
I never would have though they were that small.

nice pic bren. But they say the ackie grows very very fast and have been known to lay clutches at the age of 5-6 moths (well from what i hagve read on the net)

Ulktimate reptile juviniles are 325 pretty expensive try a good breeder ya can find on www.reptilesdownunder.com there is a breeding trio for $700 It says the male is ordinary colours thats y so cheap i dunno if thats true or there sterile

thankyou bs, but from that link i posted on the first page of this thread states a good argument.ill copy and paste the paragraphs.

One of the most common mistakes new keepers make is trying to take a shortcut into the breeding groups. Instead of buying a group of hatchling animals to raise up, from a reputable breeder, many first time keepers try and put together an older group of one male and multiple female adult animals, some from here, some from there, this guy has a male, this guy has a female. And ideally, these are all "proven breeders". There are a couple of problems with this strategy.

First of all is the "proven breeder" adults. This is a fantasy. Think about it???

With a single adult female Red Ackie, raised from a hatchling from our own stock at Pro Exotics, we can expect quite a healthy amount of production in a single year. Nearly all of our adults have exceptional egg production, but for the sake of this discussion, let's imagine that we are talking about a very average, but solid, adult female.

In a single season (year), we can expect at least 6 clutches from the female. Egg counts would average around 10 eggs per clutch. That is 60 eggs per year, for this one single female. Now, consider that the price on Red Ackies has "dropped" this year to $350 each. Taking into further consideration that Ackie hatchlings have been sold out in advance for 2 years now, you now have $21,000 worth of production from this single, very average female.

Now you tell me, why on earth would I sell you this animal for $500, or even $1000? Those prices are certainly in the range that I have seen advertised for these so called "proven breeders". It just doesn't add up.

if you want more info from the same site again go to http://www.proexotics.com/monitor_breeding.html
this is a fairly useful piece of information and shouldnt be disreguarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back