Ackie / Ridge tail breeding help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxter

Reaction score
In the last month i decided to Get my Female 18 month old Ackie a mate, i purchased a 2 yr old male who is a known breeder, slowly introduced them, everything went off without a hitch, she wasn't receptive at first but within a few days she would follow him around the tank everywhere, i documented the last time i saw them mating, and according to many forums, info pages, experts ect ect. they can lay their eggs between 7-30 days after. I separated the male from the female after a few days or so because she seemed exhausted and he was constantly persistantly trying to mate with her, unsure whether she is gravid or not i placed the male in another enclosure allowing her to relax and if she is, to lay her eggs peacefully, its been 9 days since last known mate, she has been burrowing quite frequently has multiple burrows at different stages in the enclosure, a massive appetite and looks somewhat gravid but im not 100% what to look for, this being my first time. also have an incubator set up and ready to go just incase, any tips or suggestions or signs i should look out for?

sorry for the photo quality literally the best i could do without her running off she doesnt sit still often..
Added a few more photos for size comparrison between the male and female.
Cheers
spacey.jpgKevin and spacey.jpgKevin and spacey2.jpg

Last edited:
She doesnt look very big, has she reach adult size yet? Are you sure she is infact a she?

Rick

The big give-away for me is the change in behaviour, my females will start basking significantly more. I normally find that the appetite will decrease just prior to laying, but not always. The photo doesn't really indicate one way or the other. I assume that you a lay box or damp area in the enclosure?

she is roughly 30cms head to tail 18months is how long iv had her for so her exact age im unsure of, 100% is a female had x-rays done befor purchasing the male to prevent any financial loss at my end, she will still grow without a doubt but the breeder i purchased my male from, his females were almost the exact same size. she eats like kobayashi, will polish off a box off large crickets in 2- 3 days easily, also eats turkey mince, pellets which is very uncommon for an ackie

- - - Updated - - -

i have notied a changed in her behavior, she does bask quite more frequently iv noticed, at either end of her enclosure she has a burrow with abit of 10cms of substrate for her to dig through, she has her basking spot which is layed and a burrow under that, and also a burrow at the other end of the tank which is always moist and she spends every night there. i have placed a box with 15-20cms of sand/vermicule mix but she doesnt show any interest towards it much prefers the desert sand for burrowing, i spot clean everyday and every few weeks i give the enclosure a complete spray keeping her enclosure clean and warm and the right humidity,

Thanks for the reply Rob much appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

hope the extra photos help Rick,
Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

bump

Fingers crossed then. The set-up and the photos look good. The lay boxes just make things a bit more convenient because it can be lifted out, as long as she can find an acceptable spot to lay in the enclosure it shouldn't be a problem.

Photos are a lot easier to tell size. Looks like shes a good size and they both look great :)

Lay boxes are definately the go, make getting the eggs out easier and they wont dry out.

Rick

What would you recommend for a good laybox size? i have one in there atm about 25cmX25cm but she burrowed underneath it instead, typical ackie behaviour haha, shold i make the inside of the laybox dark?

thanks for the feedback guys really appreciate it

A black storage container seemed to work well for the breeder of mine, just filled with coco coir and sand.

Rick

any dimensions? ill look into getting one today maybe give the enclosure abit of an update still not 100% if she is gravid or not.

Think the one he used was 450x250x250 odd, cut a hole in the lid and she should find it alright and lay in there.

Rick

Excellent! thanks alot for your help, will keep an update on progress

- - - Updated - - -

added a new laybox to the enclosure much bigger then the original pleanty of sand/soil mix perfect for burrowing, doesnt seem interested at all, ill give her a few days and if nothing changes ill just put a heap more substrate into her enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back