Acrylic?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YayPythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What do people think about using acrylic for sliding doors instead of glass? It would be going on the front of an enclosure 1200hx600lx600dmm to give you an idea of how big it would be.

And what would be the minimum thickness of the acrylic if it was okay to use?

One more question, if I use glass what would be the minimum thickness?

Thanks in advance,
YayPythons :D

Last edited:
5mm glass is by far the best option. Acrylic is an awful material for cage-fronts - it's flexible so animals may be able to squeeze between the overlap, it scratches easily even when just wiping down, it is electrostatic so it attracts dust, and it is hygroscopic - it absorbs water vapour from the air so it will expand on the more humid side and will bow significantly under some circumstances.

Jamie

Acrylic works well for hinged doors provided they are installed in timber frames.For sliders best to use glass.

Glass is way cheaper.... Acrylic pfttttt

I've always found glass to be dearer.Acrylic costs me $20/cage,2x 550 mm 2
The cheap stuff is flexible ... Like said ok with a frame but the stiff stuff is ridiculous in price... I love glass.. Slides easy and easy to clean... I got 6 kids and lucky haven't broke any yet lol

The cheap stuff is flexible ... Like said ok with a frame but the stiff stuff is ridiculous in price... I love glass.. Slides easy and easy to clean... I got 6 kids and lucky haven't broke any yet lol

Yeah, I get 5mm sheets of 600x900mm glass at my local masters for $30, a 5mm thick sheet half that size costs a fortune as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back