ADVICE - Looking at an Adult BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sxc_celly

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Im getting 2 bhps this week (1 yearling15mths) and im also going to look at a bhp adult around 3yr old male this arvo, how long should i handle him to make sure hes alright to handle? Any tips on viewing new snakes to potentially buy? Shes selling due to the landlord wants them out!. She states the python hisses a little (only because she hasnt had time to handle it recently) but also said it has never bitten or striked ever. Any help on looking at a new python to buy would be great. Hes just alot of Pennies and i want to make the right decision. Thanks

When I look for a new snake I look at the conditions it is currently kept and if it appears healthy (ie nice weight, good scales, no visible injuries) As far as handling you should probably tell within a few minutes. Here's a tip, ask the owner to take it out of it's enclosure and observe their method, ie do they just pick it up or use a hook, etc and see how the snake responds. Also a common trick is to show a cold snake as they will be more slow and less aggressive if that's their nature, so taking it out in the sun a bit is helpful. BHPs are generally well mannered and good to handle, mine hiss alot too, but that's about it, they are all show. Occassionally one of mine will headbutt me to let me know he's upset, but that's usually the extent of it, they aren't real bitey snakes. Health is generally my priority and that they are feeding - good luck!!

Also ask when he last ate, how much and what and if they keep feeding and shedding and cleaning records...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back