advice warning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
It would be great if APS could have some sort of exam that people get which test your credentials for posting advice and people could then confidently use advice given.

As the usual ways of screening advice dont seem to be working anymore.
-number of posts(seems to be no indicator of merit)
-subscriber-(anyone can buy that so this is no indicator either)
-age (people lie about this all the time)
-avtar (people claim to be al sorts of herp vets/ clinics/educational displays ,ect in their avtars).

So i vote until someone has proven themselves they should be labeled with
"WARNING -Possible rubbish advice"
what do people think?

While a valid idea, it may never happen, not that I want to shoot you down for suggesting so as I respect you for doing it. A lot of rubbish suggestions and advice are thrown around by, frankly, fools. The intelligent and experienced people on here have no trouble finding one another and putting our two cents worth in and support one another where needed. What does and needs to continue to happen is keep an eye on what is being said to the younger members and newbies, so they are protected from potentially bad information by people who talk big, but evidently know very little.

Ok then, I'll stop..... sorry :(

You forgot to add "WARNING - Possible Rubbish Advice"

Jason, if I was you it should be in your signature - most of the advice you gave me was complete rubbish... Especially about hitting on chicks.

Last edited:
People coming on here should know (or, I wish they did) to take the advice given here with a pinch of salt. Verify your information with your best friend Google.

As for the advice givers, I should think that those who do not know at all, should not even attempt to give said advice. Doing so could cause the person asking for help to do something harmful to their reptile.

i like the idea..... i but i think people like JasonL and Ramsayi should have a mark near their names..somthing like ***RECOMMENDED ADVICE***

good idea but are u askign people for advice that normally give bad advise.

thus the advise ur seeking may be the advise ur trying to stop lol

When people take an interest in a new reptile, they should do their own research to find out the experts in the field.

Just by reading random threads on this site, you soon learn who's trustworthy, and who's not.
And most of the time bad advice gets corrected promptly.

Just don't act instantly based on a new post, and don't take advice over PMs and you'll be right ;)

well it is a good idea, but who comes up with the 'test' so to speak, and who monitors the posts they make lol.. Even if you are knowledgable you can still mouth off inane dribble..

my 2 cents

Nat ;)

well it is a good idea, but who comes up with the 'test' so to speak, and who monitors the posts they make lol.. Even if you are knowledgable you can still mouth off inane dribble..

my 2 cents

Nat ;)
i hear ya

I assume this thread stems from some advice you were given in your turtle thread the other day that you didn't agree with.

The quality of advice given in a response rests on the quality and amount of information given in the question asked in the first place. The question you asked about your turtle was very basic without any info regarding species, age, size etc. Hence you were given a pretty basic answer that you then didn't agree with. If you had given more info to begin with you would have more than likely been given a much more detailed and correct response to your answer. I don't know why you bothered asking anyway because you acted like you thought you knew it all anyway!

So get off your high horse mate and take a look at yourself before you start criticising others!

Even if you are knowledgable you can still mouth off inane dribble..
/QUOTE]

true true, I have found its rather easy to tell if the advice your being given is worth anything and even if someone does give me advice i always tend to get 2 or 3 other sources to back that up before i proceed with anything.

as hobbo said, having something like *recommended advice* besides someones name could be a good start especially for the newbies.

coops

how about a rating system,

Age/Gender:110
Member rating: GOLD

there could be voting buttons on their profile page and for every 100 positve votes they get it changes the rating higher up the ladder,

Only subscribers should be able to nominate or be nominated

or even start a thread for "positive feedback for members" we have one for buyers and sellers

We could implement a karma/reputation system like other forums have, but then you get kiddies begging for reps and it gets a bit petty.

we could go back to pre-school and nominate a member the golden star award of the week :D and if were really good we might even get a lolly ;):)

-avtar (people claim to be al sorts of herp vets/ clinics/educational displays ,ect in their avtars).

Not sure how that works as an avatar is just a picture lol

mine can read ...
'BLUNT AS A SPOON"

not for the faint hearted ...or the sugar and spice and please be nice answers .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back