advice warning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I suggest everyone go and read the thread that started all this.

Maybe if you want a ranking system for experts Dabool, what about one where we can rank users as sarcastic individuals that when given advice show a total lack of respect for the person who has bothered trying to offer advice??

I am not an expert, I don't give advice other than my own personal experience or passing on info that another 'experienced' keeper has given me in one of my own question threads.

I would like to see what experience you have in making these kinds of value judgements. Perhaps you could submit a CV, references and do some sort of test before you start posting advice about posting advice.

It would be great if APS could have some sort of exam that people get which test your credentials for posting advice and people could then confidently use advice given.

As the usual ways of screening advice dont seem to be working anymore.
-number of posts(seems to be no indicator of merit)
-subscriber-(anyone can buy that so this is no indicator either)
-age (people lie about this all the time)
-avtar (people claim to be al sorts of herp vets/ clinics/educational displays ,ect in their avtars).

So i vote until someone has proven themselves they should be labeled with
"WARNING -Possible rubbish advice"
what do people think?

I assume this thread stems from some advice you were given in your turtle thread the other day that you didn't agree with.

The quality of advice given in a response rests on the quality and amount of information given in the question asked in the first place. The question you asked about your turtle was very basic without any info regarding species, age, size etc. Hence you were given a pretty basic answer that you then didn't agree with. If you had given more info to begin with you would have more than likely been given a much more detailed and correct response to your answer. I don't know why you bothered asking anyway because you acted like you thought you knew it all anyway!

So get off your high horse mate and take a look at yourself before you start criticising others!

I agree 100% with this especially the high horse bit..I'd say more but i'm on my longest infraction free run and want to keep it that way..Everyone should check Dabools turtle thread to see where this all stems from and the form their opinion on the merit of this one..

Ben

I have a mate interstate who's a vet. Unfortunately the money in Melbourne is in cats so he chooses to follow that path, but his PhD is in parasitism and genetics and he's honest enough to say when he's not sure. I've sent him cut and pastes about a few items from posts on here (especially on genetics) and he cheerfully replies with either "Probably not", "Yeah/Nah" or "Gold Star", but he agrees that this forum is the best python resource / community on the Net.

And in the spirit of this thread I've added "Certified Idiot" under my name... just so there's no confusion. ;-)

May be we can make it a bit like facebook where you can block certain users from commenting on your threads.
That way if you consistently get silly people commenting on your threads , you can block them.

4 pages of dribble because one person gave you the wrong advice is a bit dramatic, especially when you knew it was the wrong advice to start with:lol:

As a newbie I look for several answers and if they coincide with others as well as fact checking outside of the forum then I know I am on the right track. In 6 weeks (2 of lurking without becoming a member) I have basically sussed out the "brains trust" and know I can rely on them to give good advice if they come across my post.

As I mentioned in a separate similar topic, even the experts dont 100% agree on some issues so it does make it hard sometimes to work out the appropriate action to take. If I am unsure about someone I check out their previous posts etc...as I am sure others do. I think ratings systems only make those who have the most "friends" go crawling to get more...Whereas EBAY is a little different as you only get to do a 1 to 1 rating with the buyer/seller and something tangible is exchanged..whereas ideas/thoughts etc are more conceptual.

May be we can make it a bit like facebook where you can block certain users from commenting on your threads.
That way if you consistently get silly people commenting on your threads , you can block them.

facebook? where not a teenage communications site that takes up 1 hour of your time to play silly games and post how much did we score on retarted quizzes.

If you don't like the advice given, u either ignore it, or reply back saying that peoples advice or ideas are incorrect, if you chose option number 2 you will be fired at. A forum is a place where people learn and gather new advice from the newbies to the experts, sometimes right and wrong. We can't just pick out the people that give good advice and bad, other wise we would wipe out the whole forum becasue everyone gets something wrong sometimes. I like the forum the way it is and so do many other people but this is JUST MY OPINION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back