advice warning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-avtar (people claim to be al sorts of herp vets/ clinics/educational displays ,ect in their avtars).

Not sure how that works as an avatar is just a picture lol

Read his turtle thread that started all this. He just has a bee in his bonnet about one particular user and is trying to cause a stir.

I assume this thread stems from some advice you were given in your turtle thread the other day that you didn't agree with.

The quality of advice given in a response rests on the quality and amount of information given in the question asked in the first place. The question you asked about your turtle was very basic without any info regarding species, age, size etc. Hence you were given a pretty basic answer that you then didn't agree with. If you had given more info to begin with you would have more than likely been given a much more detailed and correct response to your answer. I don't know why you bothered asking anyway because you acted like you thought you knew it all anyway!

So get off your high horse mate and take a look at yourself before you start criticising others!
lol

I like the idea of naming certain users as "experts", or something to that extent.

As long as it doesn't go to their head ;)

I think naming an "expert" should be up to the Mods though, they'd have read enough posts to see who can give the most reliable advice.

Who are Mods anyway? I havnt notice if anyone has Moderator anywhere in their name.
Edit: Other then Garthnfay

I don't like labeling people as having bad advice though..unless they do give consistantly bad advice that is lol.

My two cents

how about a rating system,

Age/Gender:110
Member rating: GOLD

there could be voting buttons on their profile page and for every 100 positve votes they get it changes the rating higher up the ladder,

Only subscribers should be able to nominate or be nominated

or even start a thread for "positive feedback for members" we have one for buyers and sellers
I think you are onto some thing there we could have a rating like ebay % + and - feedback.

Don't think it'll work. I'm pretty sure that everyone coming here knows that they are participating in a forum and not sitting in a vet's office. If you get given some shoddy advice, it's your responsibility to verify it from a credible source.

?

That's why you should always get to know people in the forums. If you are half switched on you will soon realise who is full of it and who is not.

If your ever in doubt I'm sure the mods could you point you in the right direction.;)

People coming on here should know (or, I wish they did) to take the advice given here with a pinch of salt. Verify your information with your best friend Google.

As for the advice givers, I should think that those who do not know at all, should not even attempt to give said advice. Doing so could cause the person asking for help to do something harmful to their reptile.

People need to be aware that this site is a FORUM:
forum [ˈfɔːrəm]n pl -rums, -ra [-rə]1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
3. a public meeting place for open discussion
4. a court; tribunal

it is all opinion based and as notechistiger says followup research is important before taking advice.

if any regulations were to be put in place i would suggest that people need to back up what they are saying with literature from a reputable source. This way the person asking the question can read up further on it also.
in saying that, information put up on the internet is not guaranteed to have factual basis either. :?

Don't think it'll work. I'm pretty sure that everyone coming here knows that they are participating in a forum and not sitting in a vet's office. If you get given some shoddy advice, it's your responsibility to verify it from a credible source.
Yeah but thats exactly my point how good would it be to know that you are actually getting great advice at your fingertips.

I think you are onto some thing there we could have a rating like ebay % + and - feedback.

agreed. so far i have taken my only real advice from people who have businesses, or i've seen pics of their extensive set ups and know already they are reputable breeders etc. but some kind of feedback rating would be helpful.

i know this is only a forum, but as a newbie it has been sooooo helpful for me. hence my subscription -i am appreciative of this place.

however, i have learnt to work my way around the 'know-it-alls'. at first it was pretty offensive, but now i know what to just ignore. :D

although i personally wish more people would stick to the creedo 'if you cant say anything nice (or say it nicely), dont say anything at all'. :?

I understand what your saying but you just have to trust people not to try and give advice outside their own area of expertice (look at my signature)....I lie about my age but not to try and impress people but its probably safer....

It seems a bit unfair than whenever a thread like this is started that people eventually blame kids who just want to get a reptile for the fun of it..... Ive got a real passion for reptiles and usually im the one asking questions and with the answers i recieve (and i verify them all) i then believe that it is only fair to help out someone else who is asking the same question.

I feel violated that you aren't really 95, Reptilefan.

Oh, sorry, was that inane? ;)

People coming on here should know (or, I wish they did) to take the advice given here with a pinch of salt. Verify your information with your best friend Google.

I agree completely - any kind of research involves taking facts from multiple sources and then verifying the credibility of the sources.

I agree completely - any kind of research involves taking facts from multiple sources and then verifying the credibility of the sources.

Yep as rational adults we can comprehend this, but just remember kids use this site and will trust whatever they are told at times, as will some slower people, which directly affects animals in their care. Quality control on this site takes the form of the more experienced keepers jumping in and correcting bad or ill given advice/ information, which has been very effective at weeding out the rubbish :D

You soon learn who you can and cant trust on this site...

yes i am pretty good at weeding out bad advice from people that claim to be all sorts of things they are not.
But what about the kids that may take advice from some fool that may look credible as i initially came upon this site when i google a herp related matter so we should keep these things in mind .
No one benefits from sick reptiles.

i like the idea..... i but i think people like JasonL and Ramsayi should have a mark near their names..somthing like ***RECOMMENDED ADVICE***

suckup! :lol:

Whilst it maybe a good idea, you also have to keep in mind, everyone has different ways of doing things. What works for one, may not work for others....

I think there are enough users of these forums that can question any bullsheeet advice given by any "experts". This thread subject is a reasonable idea, but I don't think it is practical.
Do your research, and if you can't find your answers you should not have obtained the animal in the first place, but also never be afraid to ask questions.
We all started at the same place.

suckup! :lol:

Whilst it maybe a good idea, you also have to keep in mind, everyone has different ways of doing things. What works for one, may not work for others....

i think he forgot our names in that list Becs ;)

Seriously , who is going to decide who are the idiots are who aren't ??
and can i please have idiot next to my name , might be the safest option .:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back