Air rifles!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol maybe but not when you get an average moa of 3.3 while they with thier scopes and bi pods and 15 - 20 years expierance cant break 3.0

im sorry think what you like but you can always pick somebody who hasn't been taught to shoot with iron sights. dont get me wrong im not saying if you learn with a scope you will be rubbish far from it. however you are giving yourself a big advantage by learning with iron sights.

and since when did not haveing a scope indicate poverty why would you really bother putting one on a .22 max effective, accurate range is 50 meters and if you can't see you target with your bare eyes from there you may need glasses, and as for placing a shot a rabbit is a very very small target even if you hit them dead center of the body they tend to die instantly from shock anyway

Last edited:
suppose the ultimate argument for not haveing one on a .22 is for a 15 year old in a day hunt plus all the garbage you take with you its uneccesary weight

Last edited:
You can keep your 3+ minute groups(although thats pretty good for open sights) and i will stick to my 0.5 minute ones(off a bipod or some sort of rest) or whatever the rifle can do. An accurate .22 with a scope is good out to 100m, you can use it just as easily when spotlighting and have the target and sights in focus at the same time. Open sights are fine to learn with, but IMO you should use the most accurate setup you can when shooting animals. Learning with a scope also helps you see how unstable you hold is, which allows you to practice fairly well without having to shoot. With open sights subtle movement like this is very hard to notice. I would admit i learnt with both types of sights and actually used to prefer open sights (although i cant remember why).

I have used a range of scopes and tascos are fine, Leupold scopes are much better and the really expenisve ones are much better again.

buy a bow & arrows that works aswell and a bit cheaper
if you want a rifle a 22. will do fine. like the on you put up before.

buy a bow & arrows that works aswell and a bit cheaper
if you want a rifle a 22. will do fine. like the on you put up before.

Bow hunting is a lot more expensive than a rifle
one bullet cost next to nothing compared to an arrow

Last edited:
agreed about arrows when you are paying 20 bucks per shaft then a furth 5 - 10 for the head and 3 - 4 for fletches and you keep breaking your arrows it gets a touch expensive and as for the bow most good hunting bows will cost more than a good .22, and there is a very high chance of only wounding your animal, which is a cardinal sin when hunting.

i think the way to go as far as shooting goes is learn on iron sights for 12 months then upgrade to a scope, i still like to use iron sights from time to time, i will agree with cris however that being able to put 3 - 6 bullets in the same hole (well close enough 0.5 moa) at 100 - 200 meters is pretty cool.

cris whats you standing average 3 shots within 1.5 at 150m with my .222 rem for me

btw tasco is rubbish unless you spend $300+ :p

as a side i never buy guns from gun shops to expensive. go to auctions or if your luckly like me you will have family that are collectors/dealers who give you family rates. ($450 for a .222rem savage with a nikko sterling 6x9 adjustable scope and 100 rounds of custom ammo)

cris whats you standing average 3 shots within 1.5 at 150m with my .222 rem for me

I have no idea, i can only afford to practice with airguns. To be honest i would be supprised if i was that good, i havnt been out shooting in ages either. With scopes you generally get what you pay for although some would be better value than others. Another way to get much cheaper guns is buy from the US, its a bit of a hassle but you will save a fair bit, nothing wrong with paying for convience though and many gunshops are struggling.

yay guess what my nieghbor said he will teach me but i dont no when,

i hope its not to far away,mums gonna call up and get them to explain what we have to do ect ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back