Air rifles!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
high powered rifles generally go straight through not giving an instant kill due to lack of damage

Only if you arnt using the right bullets, otherwise they look like they ate a stick of dynamite. You are right about airguns though, especially with a good one like what you have, much cheaper with ammo, although probably more expensive to start with. Airguns are more pleasant to use due to the low noise(stupid government banning silencers:evil:) they are also much safer as they wont travel as far if you miss or have a richochet. Although you can get .22 ammo that makes less noise and has similar power and a .22 will allow for quicker repeat shots.

Rednut, you could kill them with a normal .22 or high powered .177 airgun, most just prefer to use something that is suited to the task and gurantees a humane kill. While shot placement is important, a good bullet from a decent centerfire will go a long way towards a humane kill, especially if the prey isnt posing at the right angle and sitting still for a head shot. I agree about the bows though, good enough to quickly kill anything in this country, if you know what your doing.

Actually you will have heap of crap to go through to get a licence, if your lucky you might get it in under 6 months.

yeah lol 8 months is alright its over quickly.
gives the bunnies more time to breed,plus both my neighbors are very good freinds and they travil the world for hunting so they they wont complain about the noise trust me,if there not working hey will come join the hunt.

and where i will be hunting it is just trees behind it no houses no nothing,so i cant harm any1 or anything behind the shot.

Centrefires are out of the question for this topic..:rolleyes: as mention in my post at the start of the thread. Your right in saying a good shot with an air rifle will drop a bunny, I cut my teeth on an air rifle and have dropped many a cotton tail and even foxes with them. I don't agree with the high powered comment though, my Bruno .177 HMR goes straight through and the stopping capabilities amazes me.
Sorry if the pics offend but it is a demonstration of what we are talking about, the same pics were shown on the hunting thread that was up a while ago, but this shows the stopping power of the .177 which is a topic of conversation.
And yes these were instant and humane kills as you may see from the placement of the shots, which were wide out as well.
And the rabbits minus the head were a yummy meal for a couple of BHP's i have and NOT wasted as some may think. even the roo was used as food. :)

a bad shot with a centrefire or even a shotty sees rabbits escape to die in pain,100 acres isnt the size of property id be using a centre fire rifle on,and they are over kill if bowling bunnys over is your game,and also a 16 year old would quickly grow tired of the kick it gives,not to mention how expensive ammo is,for rabbits a 22 rimfire is best,bang for buck,and these days there are also quite a few capable air rifles that will drop bunnys humanely,some are mega expensive,but some are quite cheap,also with 22 air rifles,if shot in the head the pellet stays in the head mostly,causing more damage as it plows through,high powered rifles generally go straight through not giving an instant kill due to lack of damage,trust me on this,air rifles can be deadly on rabbits,i find they kill instantly way better than a 22 rimfire

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    738.2 KB · Views: 46
was just a point as to the killing capabilities of air rifles,of course centre fires and rim fires are more powerful and have a way bigger range,also it stands to reason they shoot bigger projeciles with way more force than an air rifle ever will,my point was just to say air rifles are highly capable of bowling over bunnies humanely,they come in handy on small properties to where the use of a 22 rimfire ect is out of the question

crosman have a very nice air rifle out now - the nitro piston ELS177. $580 was the quote i got for it - i'm looking at it as the muzzle velocity is around 1200fps - and it has around 24 ft lbs stopping power. This is Plenty to take out a bunny as richard said. Chronied the thing shoots around 680fps - the good thing about that is you don't have to worry about pass throughs.

It's a break barrel gas ram type - but still in the springer range. check it out - at pyramidair - there's a nice video review.

EDIT - Oh and this thing is so quiet that if you pick off a bunny that is next to another one - there's a good chance you wont scare the 2nd bunny off - unless it craps itself after seeing its mate fall over.

Yes your correct and I agree 100% richardsc, no disrespect intended! I was comparing a .177 to a .22 and not an air rifle projectile, as this is obviously an unfair comparison. As mentioned I love the old air rifle, brings back many a fond memory.... and one i reckon all beginners should get their eye in with, ALTHOUGH its not fair to the animal if you cannot make humane kill with an air rifle so best not to use if you can't get the kill shot....:)
There are some really good air rifles around, but IMO not worth the cash if you plan to take quarry with it and your NOT a good shot.
was just a point as to the killing capabilities of air rifles,of course centre fires and rim fires are more powerful and have a way bigger range,also it stands to reason they shoot bigger projeciles with way more force than an air rifle ever will,my point was just to say air rifles are highly capable of bowling over bunnies humanely,they come in handy on small properties to where the use of a 22 rimfire ect is out of the question

Last edited:
thanks again guys sorry i havnt responded i was at me nans....
anyway im bak home now and gotta get me mum to ring up to get some details.

im not sure if im a good shot, the last time i shot a gun was about 5 years ago,o and the fair but the target was about 2 mtrs from me.the duck game outer about 20 shots i got 18 so yeah but alot different i take it as in the field

well my mum is gonna ask my neighbor to teach me to shoot and hopefully he says yes so fingures crossed.

well practice makes perfect mate, noones born a dead eye!
did you decide on a 22 or a .177HMR??

thank's farma yeah i no practice make's perfect. lol and trust me i will be target practicing on anything lol, well nothing live i will make some targets.

and im gonna go with a 22.

maybe after a while i will buy a air gun aswell lol.

If you do start shooting be safe and responsible as the anti-gun groups are waiting in the wings ready to use any irresponsible, unlawful and or dangerous action as an arguement for the banning of private firearm use or ownership.

Regards
Octane

ok thanks for the heads up octane

dont worry i will be very safe and responsible

pffft all you dime a dozen "hunters" useing scope at under 50 meters make me feel really good about my self :p jk

never understood the attraction people have to air rifles specialy when you can get a .22 much more fun imo

lol yeah im gonna get the real gun lol not the air gun

i might buy 1 after a wile just for more fun.

make sure you learn to shoot without a scope you will thank me in 10 years time when you can handle 30-06 better than any of your mates, and the guys at the range all look at you like your some sort of holy man.

im sure your curious as to the differance it make i'll give you a list.

1. you learn to shoot with both eyes open allowing you to judge distance and adjust far more quickly.

2. you will be able to bring up the rifle take aim and shoot in one action taking no more than about 2 seconds to do it. (most people who learn on scopes can't do this except with a shot gun)

3. makes your rifle cheaper by like 300 bucks.

4. you should learn everything from the most basic level and a .22 with iron sights is about as basic as it gets.

i used to want to shoot with a scope on everything but im so glad my godfather wouldnt let me and forced me to shoot with iron sites. i can now drop a bunny at 40 - 50 meters no scope with my bsa sportsman number 5 (.22) within about 3 seconds of spotting it. little blighters never have a chance.

i only just got a .222 remington (savage 340e) it does have a scope for the sole reason that i wont take a shot under 75 meters with it. even so i can still spot a bunny/fox/ indian minor take aim and drop it in about 3 seconds at 100 meters. however get me prone over a warren at 100 - 200 meters and i can take 3 bunnies befor they even know whats happening :)

make sure you learn to shoot without a scope you will thank me in 10 years time when you can handle 30-06 better than any of your mates, and the guys at the range all look at you like your some sort of holy man.

They probably just think your poor, been frozen for 50 years or are trying to handicap yourself for some reason. Thats what i would think anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back