Albino Darwin and UV light?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lasalms

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew if it is appropriate to use UV lighting with an Albino Darwin Carpet? Thanks.

how else do they get their tans? lol
I have read on this forum ages ago can't remember who but said it may make their colors look a bit better but who knows wouldn't harm them with one in so why not?

Years ago I did start a thread on display lighting and how a 10K Marine Tube shows off the colours of fish better than other Kelvin rated globes and I was keen to try it for Albinos and that was what the thread was about.
Although I didnt follow through with the thought as UV exposure to Albinos is not a good idea due to their intolerance to UV. Still haven't experimented with Albinos yet, but will....
Which off tangent but makes me wonder how Albino lizards are a prize to have as you supply them with UV, any thoughts??

We usually recommend against it as we worry it could hurt their eyes.
Paul

That's what I am not sure about. I am normally in the catergory as it can't hurt for them to have UV exposure. But wanted peoples opinion if the exposure of UV to albinos would be bad for them.

I've been asking a few people the same thing lately now the warmer weather is coming, I was wanting to take him outside... I've been told not to use a UV light and shouldn't really take him outside for some sun either :(

No point in UV lighting for any pythons if you are concerned you can let them play out in the back yard half an hour a week that is let them slither around the yard always be next to them the whole time

No harm in taking them outside for a bit, as it makes the colours really pop. The display lighting needs to be carefully chosen because yellow flouro globes make them look like bananas. Bluish or bright white lights make the oranges pop better. There is something about full spectrum sunlight that really makes the fluorescent yellows glow like highlighter. However, without melanin, they are more susceptible to sun damage. BTW. My MD certainly doesn't need any UV.

Thanks for the input everyone. No UV is cheaper anyway. I thought it would be the case just wanted to check. I know what you mean Susan they look great in the sun.

Albino Darwin

Is it more effective to use a heat lamp or UV light to heat up Albino's? We currently have a UV light on our's but she's still very cold, she is only young and it is quite cold where we are at the moment. Just want to know thw most effective way to warm her up.

Heat lamp. If you want UV take them into the sunlight once a week for 15 minutes. UV lights will do nothing for heat. my heatlamp raises my tank temp by 8 degrees. luckily too cause where we live barely any sunlight gets into warm the house up so if I didn't have the heat lamp on the temp would be lucky yo be over 20 degrees!

I didn't think uv produced much heat. She is still very cold and cranky. We don't have a thermostat atm so we don't know her temps. Do lamps use alot of electricity though?

I didn't think uv produced much heat. She is still very cold and cranky. We don't have a thermostat atm so we don't know her temps. Do lamps use alot of electricity though?

Go and buy a thermometer and start measuring cage temps.What temps do you think darwins need to be kept at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back