Albino Darwin Hurt?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakefinda86

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

OK. So I finally got my Darwin python enclosure up and running. I put her in only to hear her fall about 60cm. I ran over and she was upside down breathing heavily. I thought for sure she had broken something but after about 5 mins she seemed fine.. Now she won't go on her heat. The whole time I've had her she has loved it, now spends all of her time in her water bowl. She isn't due for a shed, hasn't got mites and its not hot in our house. I'm really worried about my baby. Does anyone know a reason why she would do this? She still ate her food the other day but refuses the heat... I would take her to a vet but we don't have any that know snakes :( Thanks in advance for your help.

Jessika

If she is eating and not showing any signs, I believe she is fine. What degree's do you have? It may even be too warm, or just a new personal preference.

Thanks for the quick reply :) I have the heat cord set at 31 degrees.. Ive just never seen her to do this. Very strange. How will she digest her meal if shes really cold all the time.?

Thanks for the quick reply :) I have the heat cord set at 31 degrees.. Ive just never seen her to do this. Very strange. How will she digest her meal if shes really cold all the time.?

She wont be really cold, she knows what she needs to do. It could very well be to warm, its not unlikely. Snakes will still digest food items at the lowest of 18 degrees.

I think it's something we all worry about when first keeping snakes. But as you'll learn, they're not all that bright but they sure are hardy creatures. My jungle is a little thick at times but always entertaining. In one night he fell at least a dozen times trying to climb the glass front of his enclosure. Would get his body 2/3rds up the glass and eventually topple over. He eventually decided the branches in his viv were a better idea.
I'm sure you're little one will be fine :)

Haha yeah my Jungle regularly lunges at his food so hard that he flies off his shelf and plummets to the ground about a metre below. Like 53ERX said - not too bright but quite tough

Thanks guys :) That makes me feel heaps better. Yeah my big diamond constantly is dropping in her enclosure too. I just thought albinos might not be as hardy as normal pythons. Thanks again :)

Yeah doesnt sound like anything to worry about mate. Our BHP spends all day falling over ! Darwins are just as hardy as normal snakes; just not as black ;)

My Bredli is always falling out/off things. Lands with a thud shakes it off then goes back to what he was doing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back