Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad26

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey my partner and i was just wondering if you can get albino Geckos in WA, we don't know what sort of geckos are own able here and are just curious. i am also wondering about chameleons are they also available to keep over here as well.
some one with a response would be greatly appreciated thank you.

we can only keep aussie native species in Australia so chameleon is out of the picture. As for albino gecko I doubt you will be able to find one mate they are very very rare.

yeah true ok no worries, just thought you may be able to have some sort of a licence to be able to hold an exotic , from worldwide kind of thing if you know what i mean.

no i dont want to know about anything illegal. i just was wondering if there was a legal way that you could keep exotics that's native to other parts of the world. i saw somewhere in Germany there was a guy with a BHP, im not sure if its legal but it was on youtube. if thats legal then why cant we have stuff here in Australia from other parts of the world.

Good question Brad. You are walking into a world where there is a lot to learn in regards to Australian and WA wildlife regulations.
The Aussie reptiles that people have over seas generally stems from smuggled wildlife. They have no laws against keeping them so once they are out of Australia it's all fair game. Because our wildlife is protected, a license is needed to keep them. And like wise because our wildlife is protected there is a ban on all exotic reptiles to keep Australia free (as possible) of exotics breeding in the wild.

Not an option in WA. They can't even import a gtp from the east.
I guess that the WA African safari would be a pretty boring place then. I can imagine the tour guide, and this is where the lions would be and if you can imagine carefully you will see the lioness stalking the area over there where the zebra would be.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had a look at the Perth Zoo site and they have komodo dragons , reticulated pythons and american alligators.

I guess that the WA African safari would be a pretty boring place then. I can imagine the tour guide, and this is where the lions would be and if you can imagine carefully you will see the lioness stalking the area over there where the zebra would be.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had a look at the Perth Zoo site and they have komodo dragons , reticulated pythons and american alligators.
Yep all before the ban. The ban is only restricted to pythons though. They sometimes get confiscated illegals. But not very often. Last time I went they had corns on display. The ban only came in with the introduction of the keeping system.
But no bredli, diamonds, scrubs, gtp, jungles etc.

Yep all before the ban. The ban is only restricted to pythons though. They sometimes get confiscated illegals. But not very often. Last time I went they had corns on display. The ban only came in with the introduction of the keeping system.
But no bredli, diamonds, scrubs, gtp, jungles etc.
Thats no good mate, sounds like a good excuse for a holiday to the east coast for you.

Yeah I return "home" once a year. Often make a trip to Melbourne or Taronga zoo. I do love the eyelash vipers :)

But none of these zoos have anything on a reptile expo I went to in Germany!

well thanks snowman and everybody else that gave me some advise and information on the aspect. it would be cool though if you had something that didnt belong here in OZ but im no person to do wrong and get into trouble. i once moved back over to Tas from WA and took my Stimpsons Python with me, didnt realise all the transfer papers i had to fill out and put him on a plane, few weeks later wildlife and conservation officers rocked up a nocking on my door looking for it. i was 18 at the time and new into keeping, didn't know what i got my self into and teared up really well lol. they gave me a interview in their car with a recorder, i was so upset i could barely answer their questions. il never do wrong with my reptiles ever from that day on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back