Almost Tragic Day...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Already_Gone

Reaction score
I woke up this morning, forced myself out of bed at 7.15 because I planned to do uni. As I walked down the hall I noticed my larger turtles huddled in the corner of the tank near the filter inlet tube. Appearing unusual I went to check it out and I noticed that Gadget (my Eastern Longneck) had his hind leg caught in the tube. The cover had come away, leaving the tube exposed (approx diameter 15 mm) His eyes were closed and his head an neck were limp and wavering in the current of the water.

Assuming the worst, I retrieved his body from the tank, when my suspicions were almost certainly confirmed, he was dead!!! I took him into show my bf, me wailing like a baby. I cried and cried for about half an hour. I then placed Gadget on the basking shelf in the turtle tank.

As I have never lost a reptile before, I was unsure of my obligations as to notifying Parks and Wildlife. I rang a turtle friend (Expansa1) to find out. We started chatting and whilst on the phone I went in to check the snakes/lizzies. I was playing with Charlotte when I walked back out to look at the tank.

I seriously thought I must have been going bonkers when I saw him move his head neck and dissmissed it straight away. When it happened a second time I panicked!!! I would probably get banned from this group for telling you what I said.

Expansa1 then talked me through what I had to do. He had fluid on his lungs and was having trouble breathing. He told me how to move the fluid from his lungs and give him mouth to mouth resucitation. He also informed me that he would need a diuretic (to remove the fluid) and antibiotics to stop infection.

At the vet surgery I noticed that some of the fluid from his nose/mouth was brownish. Apparently this is to do with the stress his lungs had been under and was no real threat. He is still really lethargic, although he can move and lift his head, he has also walked a small distance on more than one occaision. The next 24 hours will tell his fortune. I currently have him in a tub on the basking ledge on a towel, covered in towels. The heat from the fluros is enough for warmth. I will leave him there over night and see in the morning.

Fingers Crossed and only time will tell!!! The vet said that our biggest risk is infection and he has a 65% chance. If and when he pulls through I will post exactly what we did (ie. turtle first aid). Sorry for the long winded story but I thought it was neccessary!!!

I have to give a thousand thankyous to Expansa1 for his understanding, support and advice today. Cheers Mate!!!!

Wishing you and Gadget the best Liana, hate to lose one of mine, Losing an animal is the worst. What you said about the heat from the flouro though, im a bit iffy about, they dont put of much, unless hes really close. Warmth is vital to sick herps. Let us know how he goes.
Hope it goes without saying you fixed the filter permanantly. My fingers are x'ed for you.
inny :(

Best of luck to you Already Gone,looks like you've done all you can and speaking to an expert in the field must be great to guide you through what to do and not to do.

Have my fingers crossed for a full recovery...

Cheers,
Browns.........

The fluros are rather warm, he is not cold to touch, I did think about the heat mat but am unsure because it is set at 29-30C... unless I turned it down for the night but I prefer to keep an eye on it!!!

Should have added that, Couldnt have asked for better help than Craig ! Dont blame yourself if worst comes to worst, accidents happen to everyone. You did well, heres hoping for best result. Inny

p.s If hes too weak to move dont use the heat mat, stick to the towels etc.

Gadget update...

It has been about 13 hours since I found him and he is now able to walk around!!! :) he is holding his head up and looking around!!! Looking good I say, although I dont want to count my chickens before they hatch!!!!

Thanks everyone...

Fingers crossed twice here for you. Inny and I have both felt the sting of a loss lately and it not a good feeling. Hope he pulls through for you. best of luck

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my hopes high for Gadget! It is great news so far. :D Hopefully the antibiotics will keep the infection away. What diuretic did the vet use?
It's caring, dedicated people like you that deserve a miracle.
expansa1

Thanks for your post, Already Gone. It's first hand information like this that really helps all of us learn. It's especially good of you to tell us about it when you're going through something difficult like this.

People with a lot of experience who help you with things like this are great hey? On ya Expansa!

Good luck guys, I hope Gadget pulls through, sounds promising. Long necks are pretty tough and you'd imagine that they'd come equipped to deal well with problems that come from long periods underwater, so I'm optimistic!

Gadget Update...

It is now a day and a half. All of the swelling in his hind leg has gone down. He has full mobility in all of his limbs, showing interest in food and is biting at my fingers he he he. He is walking around with no trouble at all. It is still possible that he has an infection which should hopefully be stamped out with the antibiotics.

The vet gave him 0.15mL of Oxytet-200 LA (Antibiotics) and 0.05mL of Frusemide 50mg (Diuretic). He will be visiting the vet tomorrow and for the next 8 or so days for anitbiotic injections (they only last 48 hours).

One thing with the diuretic is that it dehydrates him. I am keeping him in a dry box but letting him swim in the bath tub for about 20 mins every 2 or so hours so he can have a drink and take in water. Without water he may end up with serious kidney damage. Kidneys are not able to function properly if there is not enough fluid in the body to support them and may begin to shut down. Expansa has told me that if for some reason a non-aquatic animal is treated with a diuretic, it is extremely important for them to receive fluid through injections (obviously because some snakes/lizards don't drink).

Thanks everyone.
Liana

Thats good to hear. Good on ya Craig for helping her out. A lot of people with your experience wouldnt.

Cheers

The vet switched him over to baytril injections on Monday. We were somewhat concerned that he may have had a blood infection because his throat was a peachy colour with small red veins showing and swollen. The vet checked him over and she said it was very unlikely considering the improvement he has made in such a short time. The area has now formed a scab about the size of a 10c piece so it is more likely that it was a graze from the edge of his plastron or the pebbles when he struggled to get free from the filter.

He is breathing normally now, no gasping, wheezing or discharge from his nose/mouth. There was some slight specks of blood in his faeces although that has pretty much stopped now. The shock/stress on his other organs may have caused this and unless it keeps up is OK. He has a limp, considering the size of his foot the other day, it comes of no surprise.

I am not going to reintroduce him to the big tank until I am confident he is 200% and eating.

Ta everyone

That's excellent, I'm so happy for you guys. It's great to see him on the mend, well done. :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back