Alot of wee's in the cage; overheating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDeDah

Reaction score
Hi all,
My little one is settling in well, but I noticed a lot of wee's in his cage. Every day their seems to be a new one some where in the cage, does this mean he is over heating? Or do snakes usually drink a lot. Many thanks, Naomi.

LOL, well done !
I've never taken much notice of the toilet habits of my gang, I'm never sure if its water from the bowl or not, I just wipe it all up :)
Is Homer in a tub ? Could it just be condensation ?

LOL, well done !
I've never taken much notice of the toilet habits of my gang, I'm never sure if its water from the bowl or not, I just wipe it all up :)
Is Homer in a tub ? Could it just be condensation ?

Yea he is in a click clack at the moment, but it isn't condensation it's like white chalk in little balls.

:) that's the urate part of his poo. (The excess calcium from the rodents I think) the brown smelly stuff follows shortly after, wee is wet like water :)

:) that's the urate part of his poo. (The excess calcium from the rodents I think) the brown smelly stuff follows shortly after, wee is wet like water :)

I sound like the biggest idiot! ;) haha but thanks! :)

definitely not excess calcium, its urate crystals/ concentrated urine.

Happy to be corrected, I knew it was urate but never realised it was concentrated urine !

As a youngun, my experience has been that they do have bodily functions more often than adults. Just check your temps and keep the water topped up and as long as he is eating and shedding fine, you should be ok.

*Disclaimer: Just because I have experienced it does not make it truth :)

Can I ask where you learned this from? This is completely untrue information.

Naomi..........this is normal after a feed. Snakes do drink but not with any great frequency. Mammals are made up of high percentages of water hence the extra pee after a feed.

Happy to be corrected, I knew it was urate but never realised it was concentrated urine !

yeah i think everyone has the thought at the beggining that it looks like calcium so it might be from the bones of the prey, what i typed isnt exactly true, to my knowledge they dont have advanced kidneys like mammals to concentrate urine, rather then call it concentrate urine it is likely more correct to say they dont produce urine but produce uric acid (urates) , this is to conserve water. Not abnormal for small snakes with a high metabolism to be passing small amount of urates frequently especially if they are very active as this quite often stimulates a bowel evacuation, whihc is the basic principle for the people who toilet train their snake by takign them out on the grass

Can I ask where you learned this from? This is completely untrue information.

Naomi..........this is normal after a feed. Snakes do drink but not with any great frequency. Mammals are made up of high percentages of water hence the extra pee after a feed.

I did say "I think" as I wasn't 100% sure :)
And I'm always happy to be corrected and have said so on many occasions !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back