Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, not a freak. Just VERY irresponsible.

I'm afraid I agree with Curly56..........it might have seemed fun and even a bit of an ego boost for you to have a snake wrapped around you neck, but ignorant or not, some people are genuinely afraid of reptiles and I don't think flashing them around in public is the way to get most people to like them, I think they'd just think you were an immature show off....sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's what I believe is the truth......

cause ur a freak...u like reptiles...... where 95% of da population think "only good snake is a deaddun" eh we a long way in minority wanting to keep reps,let alone wanting to hold them....bit more thortful on ppls phobias hun k

What is this "illegal" clause?...The reason I am asking is my daughters pre school (which is directly across the road from my house) is currently doing Dinosaurs...and will be moving onto REPTILES in a few weeks.

One of the carers has asked me to bring my python along to show the kids....They practice a "hands off" approach there to pets so I am sure no one will be bitten...is this illegal?...Charlie would only be out of his enclosure for 30 mins max and I was going to give the kids the spiel about hygiene etc as well as "look dont touch" when they see snakes in the wild..

I am sure it would be rewarding for them but dont know about this so called "illegal" clause some have referred to...what do others think?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I just brought my bredli boy into Petcity because I needed to see what size food would be good for him, and also I wanted Raquel to meet one of my gorgeous babies.

So I went there, I got heaps of looks and people pointing at me, but overall it was okay, me and Strike converted nearly 10 people into reptile lovers!!

So after that, we found out we couldn't go home, because we needed to grab a couple of things. So we went to Crisp on Creek, I wasn't allowed to stay in the car, and I couldn't leave the snake unattended, so I pretended he was a tie (he played along quite well), but after staring at me for a while, people started to back off and whisper about me and point and give me looks.

Then we went into Bunnings to buy some sand for the little guys enclosure, the Staff there didn't mind snakes because apparently they get a guy to come in with snakes so customers can hold them, but as I was walking past, heaps and heaps of people were staring and making faces, a couple of young girls my age were whispering calling me a freak.

Now we're home, he's napping in his enclosure and I'm sitting down, but I have to ask, am I a freak for owning pythons? :?

yes 4 talkin a pyton in 2 the local pet shop with ompv and the like

why do u pay so much 4 food:rolleyes:

Bit of a reality check here!
What you did Is not only irresponsible and illegal but to the MAJORITY of the population IS offensive! :rolleyes:
Fluanting reptiles in public doesnt do the hobbys cause one bit of good!

thank you 4 a more mature additude;)

Yes it is illegal, but not immoral. I dont see any harm in taking your python to the school over the road for a very quick show and tell.
I suppose it is no less 'illegal' than taking your python onto the front grass for some sun.
I will be taking my croc for my mates sons show and tell when he is old enough for school, but i will be speaking to parks and wildlife before hand so they know what is going on.
I am being a bit of a hypocrite here since i think what rainbow has done is completely irresponsible, but i took my bredli girl to the park (under a minutes walk) the other day for some sun, and on the very short walk home an old lady started screaming from over the fence because she peered over and seen me with a snake, she thought i had picked up a brown snake and was taking it home.....?

Yes it is illegal, but not immoral. I dont see any harm in taking your python to the school over the road for a very quick show and tell.
I suppose it is no less 'illegal' than taking your python onto the front grass for some sun.
I will be taking my croc for my mates sons show and tell when he is old enough for school, but i will be speaking to parks and wildlife before hand so they know what is going on.
I am being a bit of a hypocrite here since i think what rainbow has done is completely irresponsible, but i took my bredli girl to the park (under a minutes walk) the other day for some sun, and on the very short walk home an old lady started screaming from over the fence because she peered over and seen me with a snake, she thought i had picked up a brown snake and was taking it home.....?

i cannot under stand why a child can do it [reps in public] but if we get caught talking a rep to school we get in the

Bfg 1 mins walk to a park isnt as bad as taking it into shops etc. Those places are filthy ;P But mainly there is a very large crowd + snake = *SCREAMS* but yeah she said she had to drive so yeah 1 min walk is fine and you cant say its hypocrtical because they are completely different

What is this "illegal" clause?...The reason I am asking is my daughters pre school (which is directly across the road from my house) is currently doing Dinosaurs...and will be moving onto REPTILES in a few weeks.

One of the carers has asked me to bring my python along to show the kids....They practice a "hands off" approach there to pets so I am sure no one will be bitten...is this illegal?...Charlie would only be out of his enclosure for 30 mins max and I was going to give the kids the spiel about hygiene etc as well as "look dont touch" when they see snakes in the wild..

I am sure it would be rewarding for them but dont know about this so called "illegal" clause some have referred to...what do others think?

it will be on your permit details, check it out..
you do however need a special permit to be able to show animals on your permit otherwise it's illegal to take them away from the house other then the Vet for treatment and check ups.

I'd check with parks and wildlife first and find out what the recon. you'd reather be covered then have a frantic parent that is scared of them go and report you wouldn't you?

im sure parks and wildlife have better things to do than to bust you for taking and showing your snakes to some preschoolers... im sure it will be fine :)

yep..just read my T's and C's...but I reckon my Bush Lawyer skills would qualify a python at a pre school as "training purposes"....this is education of children...what could be more "training"...and it wont be for more than 72 hours (in fact wont be more than 72 mins).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back