Am I doing it right?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naota

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im new to APS and even newer to owning a python. I got my first python 8 days ago and am already finding Keeping and extremely rewarding hobby. I do however have a few questions, or confirmations on what im doing to see if I get things right.

I have a 5 month old Mcdowelli. I havent had a good measure yet as ive been avoiding handling him while he settles in but he fits along one two sides of the 7l sistema i have him in so i would estimate hes somewhere between 45-50cm, though I could be out by abit. So now for a couple of questions.

1. Heating: As previously mentioned, I have her in a click clack, but im not using a heatmat to heat her, but rather a 60w infrared URS spotlamp attached to an ACT-110 Thermostat. The temperature gradient in the click clack range from 30 degree Hot end to 23-25 degrees cool end. Is that too small a gradient? is a cool end of 23-25 degrees running the risk of dehydrating the hatchling? ( I have a large waterbowl in there).
If this is too small a gradient, does anyone have any novel ways of increasing the gradient without increasing the power to the bulb. I assume more ventilation will help, but is it better to increase the number of ventilation holes at the cool end so that more heat is escaping at that end? or should I increase the number of holes at the warm end so that warm air doesnt get conducted towards the cool end (heating the cooler air from that end) to escape through those ventilation holes? I can work this out through experimentation im sure, but just curious if anyone has already done that leg-work.

2. I have a hide at either end, but at the cool end I have a shop-bought small hide that you see everywhere (I was given it), and at the other end i have a toilet role. I read that he will choose safety over heating, should i make both the hides equally appealing to him so as to encourage thermoregulation?

3. Thirdly, I have him set on a 12on/12off photocycle. After reading Keeping Carpet Pythons I had the heat lamp turning off on the same cycle, as the ambient night temperatures in my room are suitable at his time of year (according to the aforementioned book) for an adult python at least. But I have since read on APS that most people keep a hatchie heated 24/7. Are there any other schools of though out there or is 24/7 the norm?

4. I am setting up a future enclosure, and was thinking of using auto-carpet for the flooring, it has the same benefits as the marine carpet (alittle less waterproof probably, but still able to be hosed down and soaked I guess, to get it clean). Its only partially absorbant, its strong and has no loose fibre, and its smoother and more aesthetically pleasing than marine carpet. What objections/experience do people have with using this material?

What I have really learnt more than anything else from patrolling these forums over the past few weeks that everyone does it differently, and everyone has there own way that works for them and there snake. I look forward to eeking out my own method. To me that seems like half the fun. But i just want to make sure at this early stage that im doing an acceptable job.

Wow. I know thats a huge post. I apologise for its size.

If you read this far, your dedicated. Thanks.

....... What I have really learnt more than anything else from patrolling these forums over the past few weeks that everyone does it differently, and everyone has there own way that works for them and there snake. I look forward to eeking out my own method. To me that seems like half the fun. But i just want to make sure at this early stage that im doing an acceptable job.........

That is exactly right. If he is eating, and settled (not over-active) then you don't change what you're doing just because someone else says it isn't right.

As far as heating is concerned, I use 24/7 heat but I don't use lights. I use heatmat or heat cord.

To me, the gradient you have could be too close but observing your little snake's behaviour will tell you the answer to this question. If he spends all his time in the cool end, especially pinned to the wall of the cool end, then you need to get it cooler. But if he is moving about all over the tub then most likely he is happy and your temps are fine. To cool the cool end without changing the power of your light can work by adding more holes to the cool end, or using a longer tub. I know snakes don't like large space, but sometimes, to create the gradient you want might mean using a bit bigger enclosure. Fix it up with hides and plenty of cover and he will be fine.

The carpet sounds good. It probably doesn't matter what the carpet looks like. Anything clean and tidy always looks great. But just watch the coar.sness of it. Some carpets are harsh and effects how their scales sit. And make sure you cut it to a tight fit in their enclosure so he can't get underneath it. A lot of carpets have harsh backing on them and can rub their noses.

Sounds like you are doing ok. Heating is fine, i use the tubs you mentioned and they are normally somewhere around 32 hot and 26-27 cool end. Keep in mind your coastal will outgrow that tub very quickly so have a larger tub ready shortly.

I heat all my snakes 24/7 unless i am cycling them to breed, some do this some don't. I would recommend for a hatchie and yearling always keep the heat on.

You tiolet paper roll hide is ok providing the snake fits in it, for a coastal again i would think it wil outgrow it fairly quickly. Snakes don't worry about how the hide looks, rather they go for something they fit in comfortably and snug.

For substrate i have never used carpet, i can only recommend newspaper and paer towell, cheap and easy to clean.

Enjoy your new hobby, i am sure soon you will more snakes, one is never enough!!

hey sounds good to me i had trouble when i started to get the gradient to differ, but by put small holes in the cool end and worked a treat.
I also found it helped get the humidity down to 50-60.
keeping python is a great hobbie
i think that no matter how much reasearch you do you, you will probably end up changing all of the ideas you have read to suit the way you believe is best for your snake.

congrats:D

Gday mate, I'm also a newbie, got my first python (male Bredli) in March & already have a 2nd python (female Bredli). I can only offer advice from my own limited experience. They are kept in off-the-shelf plastic enclosures called Pal Pens (jumbo size). These are heated 24/7 with a 13W heat mat up one end only, & this is controlled using a Microclimate 100 thermostat. The enclosures sit on a piece of polystyrene for insulation, then the heat mat, then a sheet of 3mm MDF, this is to stop the mat melting the enclosure floor (yes, speaking from experience & some bad advice). I keep a hide in the warm end & another either in the cool end, or half on, half off the heat. Floor temp at the warm nd is 30-31C, then the rest of the enclosure is room temp (down to 15-16C at night at the mo, I'm in Sydney) I also have a water bowl large enough for the snakes to soak in. There are also climbing branches (pic of blue one didn't have branch at time, it was in tub boiling to sterilise). This gives the snakes a thorough gradient to choose from. As we speak, the ambient air in the room is 20C & my male has just moved off the warm floor & climbed the branch. I'm using aspen bedding as a substrate, had no probs with it so far in my limited experience. I use a non-contact thermometer to check mt temps at any point in the enclosure & use this to set my temps (not the dial on the thermostat, it's inaccurate, use actual temps). I don't use any lighting at all, apart from a red globe at night so I can watch them (it is away from the enclosures so not providing additional warmth). Pics:

Hey Guys thanks heaps for your quick replies. Glad to hear im on the right track. I increased the ventilation in the cool end which helped out with the gradient quite considerably. Thanks for all your advice. I thought I might post a few pictures of the little guy himself, so here they are. The last one really shows the milkyness on his head, which is absent on the rest of his body at the moment.

Attachments

• P5210754 edited.jpg
    P5210754 edited.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 73
  • P5210756 edited.jpg
    P5210756 edited.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 62
  • P5210758 edited.jpg
    P5210758 edited.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 69
  • P5210759.jpg
    P5210759.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 67
Yeah

I like the stripe as well. I managed to get the gradient fully sorted and everything is going fine with him now as well. Only problem now is trying to stop myself from buying more of them.

I like the stripe as well. I managed to get the gradient fully sorted and everything is going fine with him now as well. Only problem now is trying to stop myself from buying more of them.

haha, why stop yourself? I got my 2nd only 2 months after the first & I want to get a pair of BHPs when I can afford them. Had to pay for AC/DC tix first tho' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back