anesthetize snakes for sexing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jemnesa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a spotted python age approx 6-10 months & wanted to get it sexed. I phoned the vet & they said they want to anesthetize it :(... is this safe because if there is any risk to our baby i dont want to do that.

Jemnesa,

It sounds like your vet is pretty clueless about reptiles. I have sexed hundreds of snakes and have never had to anesthetise any of them...

That's rediculous, every time I've had a snake sexed the guy just holds it's firmly (but gently) and has no worries. That's on snakes at 5 weeks old.

I wouldn't do it, find somewhere else. You might get charged $40, but better than $300 to anesthetize it, plus if you get a vet that hasn't really dealt with snakes before you are asking for trouble

Completely unnecessary. A better option would be to contact your local herp group and find someone experienced at sexing young snakes. An added bonus is you might also get to learn how to do it yourself .

As others have suggested, the vet sounds like he/she lacks hands-on experience with reptiles.

It is definitely unnecessary to anaethetise them to probe them. Yes there is a risk with any anaesthetic.

What a joke. Have literally sexed 10's of thousands and always while they are awake. Takes about 5 to 10 seconds.

Thank's for your replies. I thought so much... well the vet clinic told me that all there vets were Herps so i dont know what they were thinking I will deffinatly not be letting them near our snake...
Thanks again.

Geez ... I wouldnt let that vet near anything I own.

Maybe he thought you meant you wanted your snake "desexed" not sexed...LOL

I don't know of any herp groups here in cairns I thought there would be one but i can't find it.

Are you sure the vet wants to probe the snake?
I have heard of some vets using an anesthetic in order to loosen the cloaca muscles so they can easily pop them (good luck popping hemipenes of an adult otherwise)

Either way I would go find someone else who has experience with probing rather than have the animal popped.

have got in touch with a local breader here in cairns he has someone who wil probe for me.
Thanx all

Atleast now you know not to go to that vet if you ever have a problem with your reptiles !:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back