Another bulb blown...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0_missy_0

Reaction score
The past week has been sooo crappy, not much has been going my way, but the thought of picking up my little ackie from the airport today had cheered me up:)until I looked into its enclosure to find the bulb blown!!:xI've only had it for a week! And I had another bulb blow just a few days ago! So now, with only a couple of hours before I have to pick up the little one, it's enclosure is cold and I have no spare bulbs left to use:x
I'm sick of having to buy a new and expensive bulb every few weeks, so is it possible for me to buy a cheap supermarket red bulb that'll last, say, a few months longer?! Either that or I'd go with a ceramic heat emitter, but they're pretty expensive from a pet shop so am I able to find them at Bunnings etc.?

:evil::evil::evil:

We had the same trouble, bulb after bulb some lasting only hours until we got put on to the ceramic heat emitter , as you said they are a bit expensive but have had ours now for 5 months and still going strong, will work out alot cheaper in the long run...
Good luck anyway

I use the cheap spotlight globes from coles or kmart, they all work the same, and last longer too!

Ohhh and the red party globes are just the same as the dear ones, save yourself the money!

You could buy ceramic heat emitters they don't blow and last ages. I use them, and havenever had a problem, they are a little more expensive but is cheaper in the long run instead of having to buy replacement bulbs.

CHeers

I had heaps blow when I was living at my old house. I realised that vibrations from the floorboards were the cause. I attached the cage to the wall and the globe lasted heaps longer.

I had heaps blow when I was living at my old house. I realised that vibrations from the floorboards were the cause. I attached the cage to the wall and the globe lasted heaps longer.

Really:?wow that's new to me.

Hmm good point about the ceramics. I've probably already spent upwards of $60 on bulbs alone:evil:
Might go with a ceramic:)Cheers guys.

IMO you are best off with halogen bulbs for goannas. They are more efficient and provide a much better basking spot. I get mine from woolies(safeway) but they dont always havethem in stock.

one or 2 50watt halogens is heaps to provide a good basking spot (~ 60C)

Ceramic heat emmiters are not ideal for providing basking heat.

What about for night time, I can't keep the light on at night but won't it get cold? My room is about 25*C

i just buy the reflector globes from k-mart and dont bother with night heating for my little dragons

They should be fine without night heating, Those are halogens in he pic, but tou can also get the with standard 240V fittings.

Bulbs

I have had 2x100 watt "moonlight" globes in my enclosure for 4 months. Last week one of them blew so I went to my local pet shop and all he had was a 50w red globe so I bought it, no option. It provides enough heat for night time, just.
Today my other 100w moonlight blew so the only option I had left was to buy a $4 spotlight from Mitre 10. It is 100w and puts out loads of heat. So at the moment I am using it during the day then switching it off and using the red one at night.

QUESTION. Are the cheap spotlight globes safe to use or will they make my snake sick?
Apart from the colour of the moonlight globes what is the difference between them and cheap globes.($12-$4)?
Can you put a coloured filter over them?

Brett

Standard lights are fine the picture of a reptile on the box does nothing but put the price up and make the box look better as a hide.

i use downlights in my enclosures
they keep the temp stable, last ages and come in different colours.
i use the red and the blue ones.
the blue ones make a rainbow effect also.

i have had my ceramic heat emitter for 3 years paid $70 and still working well dont know the brand but looks like a pearlco

I ended up buying a few globes from coles, just to compare, and so far the one that puts out the most heat is a 100w "coles brand" lightglobe, and my new ackie loves it :) I don't think I'll be going back to petshop brand.

If your bulb blows too early, send the manufacturer an email or give them a call.

We had two Philips SpotOne globes that blew after about a week of use. One quick email to Philips, and they have offered a full refund on both globes. You shouldn't have to pay for faulty products, regardless of whether it was a $30 reptile globe or a cheapie $4 one from Bunnings.

What thermostat if any are you using?

If its a on/off style thermostat, that is the problem, get a dimmer style thermostat, problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back