Another bulb blown...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to burst some bubbles (or globes), but...

The red party globes are not the same as some of the reptile red globes. Red part globes are simply a standard globe with red paint around the outside.

A good red reptile globe will have impregnated glass. So the colour isnt just a filter on the outside, it is within the glass. so yeah there is a difference. Having said that, i too have found that these bulbs will blow a bit.

Having said this though, the red reptile globes are usually only around $3 ea. which isnt too bad, but yeah know what you mean when you are replacing them all the time

If you put these on any pulse thermostat, they will blow pretty quick. Also wiring can have a bit to do with it, I found this out the hard way.

As far as the ceramics are concerned, we had a thing running in the for sale bit the other week, which is now continueing onto our site.

We are still doing CERAMICS at $20

That is for the 40w/ 60w/ 75w and 100w
the 150w are $25
And anyone that uses ceramics will know, they last bloody ages.

Alright, have fun and all the best

i use an on off thermostat with my ceramic with no problem but i will not buy the exo terra brand went through 2 in 6 months i paid $65 each and they are crap i even bought 2 previously and had to take them back as they did not work now i am using pearlco brand

I only use Pearlco ceramic heaters in my enclosures with one of those curly fluro baynet fitting globes for day photoperiod. The fluro goes off at night by a timer but the ceramic stays on at reduced heat. Both have light guards coveing them.

Nothing wrong with using globes, but I prefer the ceramics.

Last edited:
Yeah Pulse thermostats are ok with any sort of heat emitter, so heat cord, heat mat, ceramics, panels, etc.

But any incandecant globe will need a dimming as prior suggested

We swapped to ceramics after the whole globe blowing thing, first ceramic still going strong after two years.

Globes can blow as a result of small fluctuations in the supply voltage which is now 230v AC in most areas of sydney. These small fluctuations, that last a few seconds, can decrease your globe life dramatically (from memory it can be something like 75% life lost). If people want me to look up the real values or are actually interested i'll reply to any questions on thursday arvo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back