Another my snake won't eat thread: Olive yearling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

llasher

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I have got with this problem so far, just thought I'd post an update and re ask the question.

I bought a MF pair of yearling Olives from a pet store a bit over 3 weeks ago. The female has not eaten anything. About 10 days ago she had a shed, and since she has had a poo. I have tried rats and mice, left them overnight, brained etc. plus today tried a freshly killed mouse. Mmm twitchalicious...She strikes madly at anything in her cage (and me) and sometimes even mouths the rodent but immediately spits it out.

My feeling is that I should just leave her for a week and do nothing, then try again? I have not tried "scent of a bird", maybe I should try that? Or is there some sort of bird I should try feeding her?

I realise it has been a short time, and I guess if she is a slow Olive I will save money on enclosure costs:lol:, but any ideas would be great. (See attached photo "Olive ignoring fresh killed mouse, trying to bite keeper")

Attachments

• olivefem.jpg
    olivefem.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 123
I don't like scenting with anything. In a case like this what has worked for me is putting the snake in a small container (about the size of a suitable hide box or slightly larger) and then putting a live velvet rat in with the snake it can take a day or more but it has always worked for me. Don't use a rat or mouse with teeth though, you don't want your snake becoming rodent food.

Are you just dropping the mouse in her cage? If so, try jiggling it in front of her nose. I have a coastal that just looks blandly at a still mouse, but jiggle it around and wham! What were the pet shop that you bought her off feeding her? You could also try wiping a dead skink over the mouse before you offer it.

I don't like scenting with anything. In a case like this what has worked for me is putting the snake in a small container (about the size of a suitable hide box or slightly larger) and then putting a live velvet rat in with the snake it can take a day or more but it has always worked for me. Don't use a rat or mouse with teeth though, you don't want your snake becoming rodent food.

That could make the snake a bit reliant on live food then Waruikazi, yes? You also say don't use a rat or mouse with teeth! How do you get around that?, They all have teeth.

Actually looking at the olive's tongue could your cage temps be too low?

Sorry to keep quoting you, but good call you may have the start of a problem there, notice its tongue is sticking. Watch her closely and as War said check your temps.

That could make the snake a bit reliant on live food then Waruikazi, yes? You also say don't use a rat or mouse with teeth! How do you get around that?, They all have teeth.

By using a velvet rat or mouse, like i said. They don't have teeth while they are still on the boob! That is a possible outcome, it could become reliant on live food. But i have not had this problem, i have had more problems weaning snakes off scented food than live food especially when they are young snakes.

She seems stressed. Check your cage temps (on the floor where the snake is or can get to). Also, put a few more hides in there (i don't think the hide already in there is very suitable), also some shredded newspaper the snake can get under (of crumpled pages). I'd also cover the glass doors with newspaper so she can't see out. Then after a week offer food again, just try not to let your presence be known when offering the food as it may freak her out in which case she will continue to refuse to eat.

Are you just dropping the mouse in her cage?
Yes. I know in the photo the mouse is sitting there, but I couldn't jiggle, take the pic and make sure she didn't bite my hand at the same time :lol:. As I said, she strikes at the tongs holding the rodent. Jiggling it at her and touching the back of her head with it makes her more angry but apparently not more hungry.

Actually looking at the olive's tongue could your cage temps be too low?
I measure it at about 32 under the lamp and 27-28 at the cold end.

Try shaking the mouse with a set of tongs until she strikes it and then tug gently on it as if the mouse is struggling if you are not already doing that.

oops sorry i opened this page ages ago and then got distracted and went walk about came back and posted reply lol. A D H D at it's finest

Yes. I know in the photo the mouse is sitting there, but I couldn't jiggle, take the pic and make sure she didn't bite my hand at the same time :lol:. As I said, she strikes at the tongs holding the rodent. Jiggling it at her and touching the back of her head with it makes her more angry but apparently not more hungry.

I measure it at about 32 under the lamp and 27-28 at the cold end.

Is her tongue normally like that? Some of my snakes have had the fork of their tongue stick together because they have been too cold but it usually goes away after a while. Keep an eye on it, if it doesn't go away it could be indicating that she possibly has RI which could be another reason for not feeding.

She seems stressed.
Heheh, she sure does. I've never had a snake strike at me through the glass so much.

Check your cage temps (on the floor where the snake is or can get to). Also, put a few more hides in there (i don't think the hide already in there is very suitable), also some shredded newspaper the snake can get under (of crumpled pages). I'd also cover the glass doors with newspaper so she can't see out. Then after a week offer food again, just try not to let your presence be known when offering the food as it may freak her out in which case she will continue to refuse to eat.
OK, thanks MrBredli. What's wrong with the hide? (I got it with a snake I bought: its one of those expensive resin ones)

Is her tongue normally like that?
Nah, I think it is just the split second of the camera shot (see attached-tongue looks normal). RI?? You're freakin me out here!:shock:

Attachments

• forked.jpg
    forked.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 70
The hide itself isn't too bad, but in this case i'd be looking for something that will make the snake feel more secure than it will in that. Something fairly solid with a small entry hole etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back