Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creed

Reaction score
Hey guys
i have been reading a few threads and this seems like the sort of place that could answer the questions i have looked every where on the net seeking answers for. As a result i decided to join the site and i am glad i did.

I am just in the process of getting my first snake. I am not sure whether i should go with the Stimson or the south western carpet.

Fom what i gather so far, the stimson seems easier to care for and stays a little smaller, but i think i like the look of the SWC a little more.

Also there is the added factor of the stimson being a little cheaper, but i really dont want that to be a deciding factor when i make my choice.

is there much of a difference in the suitability of either?

Any advice on which to choose would be great, also any people knowing where i should get the gear and by the snake from would be fantastic as well.

Both would be a great first snake to begin with. Stimson was my first choice, great little pythons the small size is a bonus if your worried about the size of an adult carpet, not to mention here in WA we can get some great specimens to choose from colour wise :) Havn't got any sws yet but I hopefully should have a pair in a few weeks which has been a long time coming :p But when it comes down to it it'll be just your personal taste of which one you'd personally prefer.

Gear wise if your getting a hatchy or really any size stimson apart from a full grown adult you could keep in a click clack (Just a plastic tub from a homeware store or bunning's, something like that). Just make sure it secures properly :( . Little bits and pieces like proper hides/bowls and all those kind of accessories head over to Pet magic, pet aquarium or reptile trader if you havnt yet. Each have a pretty decent range, just dont let the salespeople talk you into buying crap you don't need :p. As for the snake id stay away from a petshop personally. Try www.pilbarapythons.com Dave always has a great range and I'm sure he'd look after you. Alot cheaper then the blown out prices of the petshops too.

much the same ,just get the carpet if you really like it,there not hard to look after just as easy as alittle stimson

get the one you REALLY like you will never regret it

thanks heaps for that guys. Thats a lot of help.

The other thing i would mind is seeing some set ups that people have for small pythons.

Any suggestions on the sorts of things that are essential and also the things that prob arent really that important at early stages.

Pictures of set ups would be great if anyone has them.

as for small snake setups, just a plastic box with tight lid, small water bowl, little box or a bought hide and a bit of a branch, not much to look at really

cheers for that......think i am well on my way

g day skot
i have one of each and i find they are both just as easy to look after the only difference being is the carpet will grow a lot bigger
i got my carpet from armadale reptile centre for a good price
good luck with getting your snake

I started with a Stimie and now have a south wester as well.....

beware this becomes addictive

It is funny that you mention the addictive part, I was warned and only took that as a passing comment. I think that every snake needs one of those warnings off the cigarette packets "Warning Herping Is Addictive". I have only just started this getting into this hobby, have only had my snake for three weeks and already have my next on order, another Imbricata, hatchling this time. Luckily I only have my cat 3 license because if I had my cat 4 and could get BHPs and Womas already, the next thing I would need is a twelve step program and to start attending HA (Herpers Anonymous) meetings. And haven't even started on the four legged herps or vens yet. Oh well at least it is a hell of a lot more rewarding than some other addictions out there!

Last edited:
Come on vivo,
Cave in to the BHPs and Womas, you no you want to. Up grade your licence and go for it.
Get the Aspidites bug, BHPS WOMAS. WOMAS BHPS BHPS WOMAS WOMAS BHPS.
How could you knock back that face lol.

Attachments

• BHP Millie 1.jpg
    BHP Millie 1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 119
Would love to upgrade but I think I need to have my cat 3 for a year first and hand all my sheets in on time. Then bring on the "BHPS WOMAS. WOMAS BHPS BHPS WOMAS WOMAS BHPS". And that is cruel showing me a picture of a cute little snake like that when I can't have one for myself! and did I mention that's one cute snake!

Damn you andyscott! :p Now I have to get ANOTHER set up! That face is going to haunt me........some one find a cure QUICK!!! :lol::lol:
PS. Welcome to APS Skot. You will never be the same again!!;)

Opps, Yes welcome to AP&S skot. Hope you find yourself a great python, What ever you choose to get, it will be the start of lots more to come.
ps... LOL Sorry Kakariki, but you may have to get that new setup sooner, Because here is some more teasing...:D She just loves to be handled, she comes to me. She is so sweet...:D

Attachments

• BHP Millie 2.jpg
    BHP Millie 2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 120
  • BHP Millie 3.jpg
    BHP Millie 3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 113
  • BHP Millie 4.jpg
    BHP Millie 4.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 124
Opps, Yes welcome to AP&S skot. Hope you find yourself a great python, What ever you choose to get, it will be the start of lots more to come.
ps... LOL Sorry Kakariki, but you may have to get that new setup sooner, Because here is some more teasing...:D She just loves to be handled, she comes to me. She is so sweet...:D

:D She is beauitful...:evil: but you are definitely not nice :p;) ........mutter mutter mutter.:lol: Can't keep up......jungle last week....coastal next week.........aaaaaagh......BHP.... soooon.:shock::lol:

yeah i get the feeling there will be more to follow my first snake, and i havent even got 1 yet.

how long did it take others to build the populations in your house?

i started strong and have had decent populations ever since even though there was 6 months i had to sell everything and start again when i moved states................ my other passion is for goannas/monitors/varanids they are my other favs along with snakes........................... geckos are pretty cool to but still rate less then snakes and monitors

do you ever show people your collection? i would love to find out people that dont mind showing them off in the perth area just to get a better idea of things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back