Any printers/graphic artists/Corel Draw EXPERTS?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falconboy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to create an advert for a newsletter publication and they need it in JPG format. I use CorelDraw and find its a great program and can pretty much do anything I've ever wanted (just wish I knew how to use all the features better!).

Anyway, I created the ad in Corel Draw and printed it (HP 6L). It prints perfectly clear and sharp. However to get it into JPG I use the export function. It was created at 170mm x 120mm and I exported it at the same size and at 180dpi (was suggested to me 180dpi). I get the impression they use some sort of DTP software and insert the images. They save the newsletter in PDF and do some hardcopies.

However, once exported I print the JPG - the edges of the text etc are really crappy. I've played around with specs on exporting it (dpi, smoothing, anti-aliasing, no compression etc) with no improvement. I even exported to different file formats, TIFF, EPS, etc and its still the same.

I also tried to convert text to curves prior to export, no different (possibly even worse).

Can any graphic design gurus give any suggestions?

I'm even wondering if its simply the capabilitys of Corel Draws exporting function that is the problem? I know JPG's, although commonly accepted, isn't the worlds best image format, but I should be able to get smooth edges.

Any help appreciated.

Hi all,

I need to create an advert for a newsletter publication and they need it in JPG format. I use CorelDraw and find its a great program and can pretty much do anything I've ever wanted (just wish I knew how to use all the features better!).

Anyway, I created the ad in Corel Draw and printed it (HP 6L). It prints perfectly clear and sharp. However to get it into JPG I use the export function. It was created at 170mm x 120mm and I exported it at the same size and at 180dpi (was suggested to me 180dpi). I get the impression they use some sort of DTP software and insert the images. They save the newsletter in PDF and do some hardcopies.

However, once exported I print the JPG - the edges of the text etc are really crappy. I've played around with specs on exporting it (dpi, smoothing, anti-aliasing, no compression etc) with no improvement. I even exported to different file formats, TIFF, EPS, etc and its still the same.

I also tried to convert text to curves prior to export, no different (possibly even worse).

Can any graphic design gurus give any suggestions?

I'm even wondering if its simply the capabilitys of Corel Draws exporting function that is the problem? I know JPG's, although commonly accepted, isn't the worlds best image format, but I should be able to get smooth edges.

Any help appreciated.

You say you have already tried different DPI settings, at a minimum I would be looking at 300dpi but I suspect the problem is to do with an incorrect setting hidden away somewhere.

Thanks mate. I did try 300dpi, no real luck. Its OK, but not as good as I'd like and hard to tell from the 180dpi. I just turned smoothing up all the way and its odd, what its done is softened the text, but in a 'blurry' sort of way, but then it still prints with rough edges

Something odd I just discovered. The original Corel Draw file prints perfectly on my HP 6L, as does everything else including JPG photos, clipart etc. Its just this exported file thats no good.

But I just printed it on my new Samsung colour laser (in grayscale), and it prints tonnes smoother - I'd accept that quality, its close to the original corel file printed on the HP. However thats odd, because the exported JPG file itself has the jagged edges on screen too the same as the HP printed copy, therefore I'm wondering if thats because the Samsung compensates at driver or hardware level for smoothing the edges. I really need a 3rd laser printer!!!

This is frustrating!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back