Anyone awake? Need help! Heat light blew!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawasakirider

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got home and discovered that my heat light is dead, I have a ceramic fan heater facing the enclosure for now, and the temps seem to be rising. The snakes haven't had a feed since last thursday, and they seem to have passed everything. Will they be OK at around 23* for a small amount of time until I can get a new bulb?

Thanks in advance.

Your snake will be okay don't worry :D just make sure you get a new bulb.

Cheers :) The tank is warming up, I'm just worried if I go to sleep it will get too hot.

I'd leave the heat fan off. They will be fine without heat until you sort out a new bulb. That or you could put the heat fan on your thermostat.

Leave it off, snakes don't use lights at night in the wild...no fingers to turn the switch on.

You are living in an area that can get well below zero at night and you are relying on a heat bulb as a heat source, with no spares or reliable back up
that wouldn't sound like a good idea to a lot of people.....solar 17 (Baden)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Baden. I always try to keep spare globes of different wattages. That way it doesn't matter which enclosure they blow in I still have 2 or 3 spare at all times. It has been 0 overnight at my place lately so it's important to have spares.

Last edited:
you're very silly for not having a spare bulb around for such occasions!
in fact, keep 2 spare just in case! (even if you have to use a standard spotlight)

You are living in an area that can get well below zero at night and you are relying on a heat bulb as a heat source, with no spares or reliable back up
that wouldn't sound like a good idea to a lot of people.....solar 17 (Baden)

+1

Yet another reason i run heatcords for heating and only run globes for lighting. Adelaide hills often gets to 0c or lower overnight and as all my reptiles are northern Oz species i feel it unfair to subject them to constant overnight freezing and average daytime temps of 13c.

Last edited:
Although i agree with the replies about having a spare bulb, maybe instead of ripping into him you could just give him some friendly advice e.g. "they will be ok until you get a new bulb asap and buy a spare to keep for next time"

It has happened to me before, i did not have a spare bulb but i do now, i learnt from my mistake.

Although i agree with the replies about having a spare bulb, maybe instead of ripping into him you could just give him some friendly advice e.g. "they will be ok until you get a new bulb asap and buy a spare to keep for next time"

It has happened to me before, i did not have a spare bulb but i do now, i learnt from my mistake.
+1

Thanks to the people who offered friendly advice. To those who decided to not read my post, I'd like to point out the fact that I am on holiday and I'm a lot further north than where I actually reside. I have a spare bulb in a tank (that is dodgy so I don't use it) at home, but didn't think of taking it with me.Will pick up a bulb today, thanks.

You took your snakes with you on holiday..?

You took your snakes with you on holiday..?
Not that it's relevant, but yes. I've been away for a few weeks and I like to keep an eye on them. What if the light blew and I wasn't home? They would have died, it gets to -1 where I live.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure it is illegal to take your reptiles on holiday with you as they must stay at the address/premises that is on your licence.

Secondly, as a reptile keeper who is responsible for the well-being of a living animal, you should have organised for someone to take care of them whilst you are/were away.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure it is illegal to take your reptiles on holiday with you as they must stay at the address/premises that is on your licence.

Secondly, as a reptile keeper who is responsible for the well-being of a living animal, you should have organised for someone to take care of them whilst you are/were away.

I'm aware of the laws mate, but I don't know anyone where I live.

So you're saying that a person that doesn't have access to outside help shouldn't own reptiles or pets? I'm doing the right thing by my animals, I don't care if you or anyone else doesn't like it.

Have a good one :)

And you wonder why you got replies such as the ones on the previous page...

Yes, have a good one.

Dont want to be rude but what you have done is against your licence conditions, The animals must not be removed from the address on the licence
unless going to a vet for assistance or being sold!

the law seems a bit silly when the animal is going to be better cared for being taken with rather than being left behind,...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back