Anyone awake? Need help! Heat light blew!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
close to 240cm in total length, she was only 60cm at a year old when i got her (slow starter, fussy feeder call it what you will) girth is 25 - 30cm,slams ~280gram rats roughly every 3 weeks depending on how much cruising she does. Her heat cord (25w) is under an insulated hide and runs 24/7, so she is still getting a sense of winter without icicles on the end of her tail, and no, i dont live in a climate controlled house either. I hate breathing hot air. so she can feel the amibiant temp is pretty chilly.

I agree that there no studies to be found and i'm not saying the result of my keeping methods may not be a shortened life span, but if the last 2 years are any indication then she is thriving. (as are the 5 Darwins that are kept in the same house, in temporary melamine enclosures.)

and who's to say there isn't a few coastals floating around in the national parks here in sa. they're tough buggas.

What species do you keep kawasaki?
Your in ippy right? If you keep any local species eg coastals etc etc. they would be fine with out heat this time of year. but good on you for wanting to properly supervise your repz

Kawasaki.....It looks like all the loonies have come out of the woodwork in a flaming mood, and you are copping the brunt.:) Keep doing what you are doing and ignore the knockers.
A good replacement is a similar wattage standard or party globe from Woolworths or Coles. If you don't have a t/stat just be a bit more vigilant and cycle on and off manually on occasion.

Thanks mate, I have a thermostat so it's all good :) A lot of people on here are quick to pick on people, they must be pretty weak in the real world if they have to feel a sense of superiority so much that they seek it online :p

Wow this thread sure went off topic! Glad it's all ok kr. It's a shame about some of the flamers on here, I really think it puts people off asking questions! Even when it's something that will just put your mind at ease.

Thanks woodys, yeah a lot of people may be deterred when reading a lot of threads on here :)

flaming? lol you sure must be kept in a nice safe bubble world if you think a light tap to introduce some common sense and forethought is flaming...

I like to think that I have enough common sense and forethought. Hence the reason I made sure I could tend to my animals if need be, which I did.

The fact is my snakes had food in their guts, my residence isn't insulated and the room where they are situated HAS been as low as 0. I don't care how much common sense you think I lack, everything I've read indicates that snakes need heat to digest their food, and the light could have blown at any time. They may have digested it before it blew, but they may not have, at the time the light actually took a nap, the snakes weren't digesting anything, but it COULD have happened at the wrong time.

What sort of common sense and forethought would you have bestowed to me if I came on here with a "RIP" thread, stating that my snakes had died? "Get someone to look after them" - Improbable "Don't feed them before you go away" - Fair enough, but the trip was a last minute thing, so forethought wasn't really possible.

Bugger forethought, they say hindsight is 20/20, and in hindsight, I reckon I did the right thing :) I'm not fussed about people giving me "constructive criticism", I've got broad shoulders. Keep it coming ;)

I've just re-read through the entire thread and not a single post could be said to be a flame

Ask sookie. She should be able to tell you

^^^^ If the above isn't a blatant flame, then I don't know what is. Granted, no "Blatant" flaming has come my way in the thread, but people haven't been too polite either. The people that talk a hard game on here wouldn't dare talk to people so rudely if people were face to face. Anonymity makes us all a hero :)

What species do you keep kawasaki?
Your in ippy right? If you keep any local species eg coastals etc etc. they would be fine with out heat this time of year. but good on you for wanting to properly supervise your repz

Hey Cleo, I have 3 jungle python hatchlings :)

I think you may have taken "ask sookie" as an insult when it wasnt intended that way, "Sookie" is an APS member :)

See how easy it is to misinterpret something :)

I think you may have taken "ask sookie" as an insult when it wasnt intended that way, "Sookie" is an APS member :)See how easy it is to misinterpret something :)
It is easy to misinterpret something, as you've just discovered :). I said "no blatant flaming has come in my direction, but if the above (quote mentioning Sookie) isn't a blatant flame, then I don't know what is.Sookie told everyone she liked to take her snakes for car rides. There was (understandably) and uproar about it, she hasn't been back since, but given the fact it was so long ago, and completely irrelevant, it's immature to bring her name up.So, how's my interpretation of things goin'? Pretty spot on, aye ;)

wow, you really do have a bee in your bonnet don't you?
that last reply shows just how over precious you are mate, you need to chill out a little and stop taking everything SO personally.

you're making it sound like we're all rallying around with pitch forks for your hanging or something lol
no one in this thread has tried to paint you in a bad light or any thing else, no one has belittled you, no one has been even subtly rude, you're taking way too many things as a personal attack, you might want to step back and ask yourself why this is, perhaps it's time to seek some anger management?.

edit* I'm sure sookie is going to be thrilled to be seen as a personal affront now haha poor sookie :( (double funny, as that's our birds name too! lol)

How about you guys learn to comprehend things; I said no blatant flaming has come my way. I know who Sookie is, and I understood exactly what the comment was referring to. It was a blatant flame in her direction. I never said I was being flamed.

and how on EARTH would anyone know that was a jab as sookie? I may be a long time member on here, but I don't follow all the little cults that seem to pop up over time, I generally just watch the threads of interest that I may have some useful information or comment or light jab in.

I'm sure sookie is big and ugly enough to stand up for herself, do we need to have every body jumping on every body else if someone makes a tongue in cheek quip? (yes, it may be warranted if it's bad enough, but then again, that's what mods are for and why we have a report post button for, let them do their jobs, even if they DO tend to swing that hammer of theirs a little too freely)

All I stated was sookie asked the question about taking snakes out to the shops. The person can read that thread to understand the question that was asked and the answer to the question.

Granted, no "Blatant" flaming has come my way in the thread, but people haven't been too polite either. The people that talk a hard game on here wouldn't dare talk to people so rudely if people were face to face. Anonymity makes us all a hero

I love how you always bring this up when ever there is a thread that mentions flaming etc. So any one that puts their 2 cents worth into a thread and says something the OP didn't want to hear (regardless of it being good or bad advice - usually it's good advice that the poster just chooses to ignore) it makes that person a hero who hides behind their computer screen?

As someone who told you what you did wrong (and by wrong I mean against the law, not what you or the next person thinks is wrong) regardless of you thinking it was the right choice, anything I said to you I would say to you and/or any other persons face. I don't mean that as being a 'hero' as you put it, and I don't mean I would be a tool about it, but simply to tell you that what you did was not the right thing to do...

As Recharge has said, people need to learn how to take constructive criticism. So some people are a little tough, who cares? Learn from your mistake(s) and move on...

OK, recharge didn't know that abnormal91 was mentioning something sookie did. It still doesn't change the fact that you guys think that I'm getting upset, when I have clearly stated that no flaming has been thrown in my direction.

Sam, OK mate I take that on board.

I'm with recharge on this one!

You may not have known it was a jab at sookie, but I did. You said I was misinterpreting things, but in reality I wasn't. I even said in the post where I mentioned "sookie" that I hadn't been flamed.

It's all good, I don't really care, but I didn't misinterpret anything. You misinterpreted my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back