Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had many blue bottle stings as a kid. Was bitten by a white tail spider when I was a kid and only have a small scar to show for it today. Was bitten by a red back on the back of the head when I was 16, the bite got fairly infected and I was on anti-biotics till it eventually cleared up (my hair now grows white out of the tiny bite site).
Last year I was bitten between the toes by a marsh snake that I didn't see until it got me. I suffered headaches for a few days and my foot swelled up to about three times it's regular size for about a week...after that I was fine.

My mother in law, I call her Shelob.

I called my ex mother in law Sha doonk. It was the sound of her axe embedding itself in our front door preceding her arrival.

Good luck to your fella rbb. One of those stories that puts things like that MORON ( opps did I say that out aloud ) burning my pizza tonight yet again, into perspective. I'm sure everything will turn out for the best.

Never hit by anything impressive, a little jumping spider made me feel a bit woozey as a kid but thats about it.
Heard about some one who used a cloth with dried rattle snake venom as a compress for a wound and they were invenomated.
Not sure what is more strange, the effect of dried venom or the use of a dirty cloth on a wound:shock:

Really sorry to hear about hubby redbellybite. Hope he recovers fully.
Take care.

bit off topic but several years ago a hawk flew over my house paddock and dropped something which we saw, turned out to be a young tiger. Was not seriously injured and after a few days R&R it was on it's way.
So it is more than possible your brown was dropped off.

yeah Baxtor,the place was concrete rendored(spelling)and had a smooth texture no where really for any snake to climb up including the likes of carpets and GTS etc ...so as there where also no trees or hedges either ,that was about the only conclusion we could come up with ...well glad the tiger was ok ,unlike the EB he would have only been around 3 foot long,a guy I knew got it down from the roof and put it in a bag for the ambo's ,they all thought it was dead ,even travelled in the truck to the hospital ,Docs looking at it ,all confirmed its an EB ,,,,I turn up ,after being in shock seeing my husband the way he was SCARY stuff ..then my daughter says"mum the snake is on the bench" I picked up the plastic bag looking at the snake ,could see its injuries and next thing it OPENED its mouth and moved ,poor thing had played possum ,so went and saw the doc and said ''Its still alive'' well they were shocked, as they all presumed it to be dead ..lucky no one else copped a tag ,anyhow I took it out euthed it and that was that ..

GEEES..... Some very serious bites here ...... anyone get stung by a Box Jelly?? They are all around where I am and I read they are the worlds most venomous creature....it's just there are always people swimming here and I never hear of anyone getting killed or seriously hurt.....

I recon i have had well over a hundred box jelly stings when out fishing. I honestly think you need to be allergic to them to have a serious/life threatening sting. All they do to me is hurt, i just ignore them now and don't put vinegar on them cause that just makes it hurt more lol.

yeah Baxtor,the place was concrete rendored(spelling)and had a smooth texture no where really for any snake to climb up including the likes of carpets and GTS etc ...so as there where also no trees or hedges either ,that was about the only conclusion we could come up with ...well glad the tiger was ok ,unlike the EB he would have only been around 3 foot long,a guy I knew got it down from the roof and put it in a bag for the ambo's ,they all thought it was dead ,even travelled in the truck to the hospital ,Docs looking at it ,all confirmed its an EB ,,,,I turn up ,after being in shock seeing my husband the way he was SCARY stuff ..then my daughter says"mum the snake is on the bench" I picked up the plastic bag looking at the snake ,could see its injuries and next thing it OPENED its mouth and moved ,poor thing had played possum ,so went and saw the doc and said ''Its still alive'' well they were shocked, as they all presumed it to be dead ..lucky no one else copped a tag ,anyhow I took it out euthed it and that was that ..

I've had a dead gwardar crawl out of a box in a freezer once Nat, was a big beast too. They can do a good job of playing dead.

The White-tailed Spider necrosis/ ulcer myth is still live and well i see.

i was thinking the same thing, some of you may want to read up a little on white tips, its actually speculatory still regarding the necrosis, and most cases its more linked to a bacterial infection that some spiders may have picked up.

but that aside my only real exp is bee sting im also allergic the last bad sting was on my hand it double in size :O the last sting i got tho was on my little toe i stood on one :/ but i used a home remedy to draw out some of the venom and my toe/foot was fine yay, i don't need an epipen but if i get stung on the neck or around the chest i was to watch for swelling cos i like breathing.

oh an my home remedy was baking soda mixed with a little bit of water to make a thickish paste and use a bandage to warp it over the area it acts as a drawing agent, honey also works but is messy, and you can get magnaplasme from the chemist its also a drawing agent.

i was bitten by a white faced whip snake and i cheacked my hand afterwards and there were no puncture wounds and i never had any side effects. must of just bit me anf missed with its fangs. i had a close call with a centerpeed in vanuatu while on a school mission trip, there were 6 beds and 7 boys and i drew the short straw to sleep on the ground with a matres. i went to bed on the 3rd night and put my miscito net around the bed and wen and layed down looked up and on the inside of the net was a peed about 3 feet long and it came down over my chest and sat there untill somebody killed it by hitting it with a broom stick...i think that they were actuly aiming for me haha. also many ants ( fire ant, bull ant, green ant and red ant) all hurt but the worst was the green ant cause there were about 30 ob the little bugers and i got bitten 40+ times :(

i was bitten by a white faced whip snake and i cheacked my hand afterwards and there were no puncture wounds and i never had any side effects. must of just bit me anf missed with its fangs. i had a close call with a centerpeed in vanuatu while on a school mission trip, there were 6 beds and 7 boys and i drew the short straw to sleep on the ground with a matres. i went to bed on the 3rd night and put my miscito net around the bed and wen and layed down looked up and on the inside of the net was a peed about 3 feet long and it came down over my chest and sat there untill somebody killed it by hitting it with a broom stick...i think that they were actuly aiming for me haha. also many ants ( fire ant, bull ant, green ant and red ant) all hurt but the worst was the green ant cause there were about 30 ob the little bugers and i got bitten 40+ times :(

A 3 foot long centipede?!?!?!!?!? I know there are giant centipedes.... but do they really get THAT big ?!?!?!

So the biggest centipedes alive today frow to about 30 cm (12 in) in the largest scolopendromorphs (as advised by wikipedia).

There is an extinct ancient spp which grew to a meter in length..... maybe you rediscovered it?!?!?!?!

these are in vanuatu not australia...and yes i am sure it was 3 feet give or take a few inches. i wasnt guna hold it to messure it haha. there were a few largh peeds over there we saw i may have a pic but not sure
I have friends that verify this story.

I got bitten by something at work. At first we thought it was just a dust mite, but then my leg started itching like nothing else. I'm pretty sure it was a spider of some kind, doctor didn't know, but it took weeks to heal and even now (two months later) it's itchy and tender to touch the area.

How would you explain peoples reactions and scars then?? Its either the venom or the bodies reaction to it??

There isn't any legitimate evidence for any Australian species causing the legendary symptoms, im fairly sure the Australian (and Brazilian) Wolf spider has also been cleared of all charges. :) .. the myth is purpetuated by misinformed doctors still though.
Some people speculate the possibility of some recluse spiders having hitchhiked here, and might be the real cause.. bit of a stretch but who knows.

There is a lot of good info about.
I think the Australian reptile park might of run a bite trial with white tails deliberately envenoming something like 200 people? with no unusual reactions.

Anyways here some info from a credible source.
white tailed spider bites

Not bitten but been stabbed in both hands by a slippery Eel-tail Catfish... So apparently they have venomous barbs on their sides, who knew? Hah.
I had swelling around the wounds and intense pain for hours afterward, the pain would intensify when I put my hands in cold water. 2 months on I still have redness where the barbs pierced me.

It is amazing though Australis ...3 people in my family have been bitten by this particular spider ,,,myself included ,I knew it was a white tailed as it bit me on the inside of my finger and I grasped it when I picked up one of my kids bean bags , so still had it in my hand ..I got a blister on that spot ,then it got all soft and spongey like for weeks after that ,it ooozed a pus like liquad and took a fair few weeks to actually heal enough to form a scab ...now my daughter and brother were bitten by the same type ,both spiders were caught as well ,my brothers legs were terrible ,his scars actually look like burns ..and my daughters scar on her leg is still obvious ,she was 3 at the time and now 20 ...so many people say the same thing or very similar ..so how can we all be wrong?

When I was bitten by a white tail it turned into a blister and was swollen for a few days, within 2-3 weeks it was all better and now 12 years later I have a 2mm scar to show for it. There were no after effects after it had healed after a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back