Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw someone get bitten by a captive woma just a few days ago. It was horrible. The snake handled beautifully while out of the enclosure but as soon as he put it back in the snake grabbed him on the hand and would not let go!! I would guess almost a full 5 minutes with his hand in a bucket of water before the snake let go. Horrible. It looked really painful! But he has been bitten by snakes before and he was stoic ;)

1 shingle back
2 bluey
3 60 kg rottweiler crushed my arm broke 4 places
4 macaw patting it turned and crushed my finger worse than a cockatoo
5 prentie fully grown turned and bit my arm never do that again
6 and my foot was swallowed by an 80 kg QLD grouper and that hurt

I've been bitten by a 6ft carpet python on the right elbow, bled like a stuck pig, blood literally running down my arm and dripping off my finger tips. Been bitten by several freshwater eels and crayfish. Unknowingly put my right hand palm down on a bullrout once while diving in the river collecting mussels. It was the worst pain I've ever endured. I've been stung by bees and paper wasps, the latter was insane, bull ants have tagged me and green ants. I've been stung by a bluebottle. I've been bitten by no less than a dozen psycho dogs in my time, a very large centipede, wolf spiders, multiple species of Freshwater turtles, rats, mice, a lace monitor that I dived on when I caught it raiding my chicken pen, I've had a blue tongue grab me when I hastily grabbed it to prevent my jack Russell terriers from ripping it apart. Been bitten by many parrots, and of course I've been bitten by my wife. Lol

You are damned lucky the impact wasn't on your left side... could have seriously damaged your heart...

I grew up in the deserts of phoenix, az. USA and in that time I played with all the native reptiles (king snakes, bull snakes, night snakes, rattler of all kinds and red racers.. The only ones I was bitten by were the red racers (coachwhips). Their bite was not necessarily bad, small teeth and non-venomous. When I was in college I worked at an exotic reptile shop that specialized in getting species not typically seen in collections (non-ovenomous stuff). My job was to make them somewhat manageable. There i was bitten by;
Baby African rock python
Baby Green tree python
Baby Savu python
Baby Olive python
Baby White lipped python
Adult Mangrove snake (rear fanged but not too bad)
Adult Burmese python
Adult bar-necked scrub python (most memorable bite for sure)

None required medical attention. I knew not to pull away so all that remained were needle marks however the scrub bite left me with some nerve damage in my forearm that took a couple years to fully recover from.
In the end I got all of them where they could be handled with relative ease (with the exception of the African rock python). The scrub python ended up going to a local zoo to be used in educational shows but I was told it got stolen.

Since then I have been tagged by one our our adolescent womas (missed food strike with too short of feeding tongs) and one of our or baby bp's.

I recently found out it's possible to 'wake' a pet snake sleeping in the front yard, resulting in a little tag, nothing hard core.

Walked away to help a neighbor over the road while little legless was curled up on the outdoor chair, walked back over a time later, and not thinking, tried to pick him up without bumping the chair first, scared the poor little guy half to death. It's hard to imagine sleeping with your eyes open the way he does! Only the second tag, first was food related and very much my fault, both times he freaked and tried to run when I picked him up and he smelt the blood, like he thinks I'm going to knock his block off. Roughies may have the biggest teeth, but they are pretty gentle with them from what I have experienced, that or my baby is just a soft touch. LOL!

I recently found out it's possible to 'wake' a pet snake sleeping in the front yard, resulting in a little tag, nothing hard core.

Walked away to help a neighbor over the road while little legless was curled up on the outdoor chair, walked back over a time later, and not thinking, tried to pick him up without bumping the chair first, scared the poor little guy half to death. It's hard to imagine sleeping with your eyes open the way he does! Only the second tag, first was food related and very much my fault, both times he freaked and tried to run when I picked him up and he smelt the blood, like he thinks I'm going to knock his block off. Roughies may have the biggest teeth, but they are pretty gentle with them from what I have experienced, that or my baby is just a soft touch. LOL!
You are keen leaving a snake alone outdoors. All it takes is one hungry kookaburra and it will be no more.

Hi @Scutellatus

I see how that sounds, I live in suburbia, its a small front yard and my neighbors were all out, kids etc playing on the street. The birds stay away when we are all there, the kids especially. I can see him at all times, the chair is right up near the house and a vine screen and he curls up near the brick pillar, so he is hard to spot. If there is no one else around, I eyeball the birds to keep them at bay while he is between my feet or under me on the chair. I don't make a habit of him being alone, and it's only been since he had a growth spurt post winter that i let him have a wander on the grass without me hovering over him like a bouncer.

All the neighbors watch him while out like one of their kids, it's nice to have him so accepted in the street.

Hi @Scutellatus

I see how that sounds, I live in suburbia, its a small front yard and my neighbors were all out, kids etc playing on the street. The birds stay away when we are all there, the kids especially. I can see him at all times, the chair is right up near the house and a vine screen and he curls up near the brick pillar, so he is hard to spot. If there is no one else around, I eyeball the birds to keep them at bay while he is between my feet or under me on the chair. I don't make a habit of him being alone, and it's only been since he had a growth spurt post winter that i let him have a wander on the grass without me hovering over him like a bouncer.

All the neighbors watch him while out like one of their kids, it's nice to have him so accepted in the street.
Each to their own. It only takes the one bird you don't see. Also while he may seem camouflaged to you, to a bird he will stand out as a tasty meal.

I've had a seagull take a very small shark jaw that I had just spent an hour removing. I had finished removing them and cleaning them up when I put them down for a second to wash my hands two metres away. As I turned back around it swooped in, grabbed them and it was off. Needless to say I wasn't very happy.

Hi @Scutellatus

We were visiting Wilson's Prom recently, eating lunch out the front of the cafe.... a Kookaburra literally swooped me and made off with most of my burger.. which was in my hands and mouth at the time. His wing slapped my face as he did so. The burger exploded and he came back several times trying to steal Smitti's lunch too. They are cunning buggers.

Last edited:
We were visiting Wilson's Prom recently, eating lunch out the front of the cafe.... a Kookaburra literally swooped me and made off with most of my burger.. which was in my hands and mouth at the time. His wing slapped my face as he did so. The burger exploded and he came back several times trying to steal Smitti's lunch too. They are cunning buggers.

Pretty much the same story except switch Wilsons Promontory with Seaworld - Gold Coast, burger with hotdog and kookaburra with a bloody seagull:mad: for the price I paid for the hotdog I wasn't at all pleased

Pretty much the same story except switch Wilsons Promontory with Seaworld - Gold Coast, burger with hotdog and kookaburra with a bloody seagull:mad: for the price I paid for the hotdog I wasn't at all pleased
We just couldn't stop laughing.

Fox, dogs, lace monitors, horse, pig,cat, bird, alpaca, blue tongue, shinglebacks, olive python, scrubbie, Stimson, Murray darling, bredli, Darwin’s, jungles, Pygmy pythons, roughies, tree skink, Cunningham skinks, possums, and at last the king brown very lucky it was the jumper that coped it but it was a close call I’ll never forget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back