Anyone ever known a Carpet to eat its shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoJosh

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my Jungles went into shed last week, her eyes cleared up 2-3 days ago, this morning when I checked on her she looked exactly how I would expect freshly shed (nice and shiny with no milkiness, vibrant colours etc).
I checked her enclosure thoroughly and I can guarantee there is no shed in there.
I also gave her a bit of a rub to double check as when snakes are in slough mode rubbing their skin causes it to come off, this was not the case.

So pretty much the only explanation I can come up with is that she ate it...
I was thinking although highly unlikely maybe the smell of a rat was on the skin from her last feed and as she hasn't eaten for a couple of weeks she was hungry enough to try eating it?.

Has anyone heard if this before?

Cheers Josh

Last edited:
I have heard blackheads & womas will occasionally eat their shed. Maybe they think the shed is another snake or reptile due to the smell, so the have a little snack lol.

have you misted him, he might be holding off the shed due to low humidity, give him a mist and you might have a skin in the morning.

Had a inland carpet hatchie do it once, was in slough mode then one morning looked like it shed. So I went to clean it out but there was no skin, Thought I was tripping out and she was never in shed. But a week or so later there was a poo in there completly made out of skin.

Thanks Bredli, I am now convinced this is what has happened.
So when you say the poop was made out of skin do you mean it hadn't broken down at all?

it was some what digested, But the bulk of it wasn't. you could clearly see that it was skin, just imaging a snake skin the shape of a poo but with fecal mater coating it.

it was some what digested, But the bulk of it wasn't. you could clearly see that it was skin, just imaging a snake skin the shape of a poo but with fecal mater coating it.

Thanks for that mental image :lol:.

Cool, I am a bit worried though that it may not pass easily, hopefully it wont cause any issues...

I could imagine in the wild that snakes could possibly do this if food is scarce, and due to snakes getting a constant feed in captivity that this wouldn't be a normal occurrence. Since you said your snake hadn't eaten in a couple of weeks I think it had a little snack :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back