Anyone keep native fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sock Puppet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone keeps native fish in thier aquarium at home?

I currently have snake-head gudgeon & empire gudgeon. Have previously owned purple spot gudgeon (also bred these), various rainbows, sleepy cod, salmon tail catfish, eel tail catfish.

Would love to see what native fish other people have!

snakehead-1-12265.jpg

snakehead-2-12266.jpg

sleepy-cod-2-12263.jpg
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...rium-fish-natives-1334/sleepy-cod-2-12263.jpg
sleepy-cod-5-12264.jpg

sleepy-cod-1-12262.jpg

empire-4-12261.jpg
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...aquarium-fish-natives-1334/empire-4-12261.jpg
empire-3-12260.jpg

Very nice! Australia has so many beautiful native fish, makes me wonder why on earth people keep gold fish?? All our gudgeons & rainbows are in ponds so we never see much of them :(. My all time fave is definately the saratoga (leichardi) very charismatic pets!

Last edited:
()()

Last edited:
Juvie saras go for about $100 up here, they last though our last was over seven years old when she decided she could fly :(

Juvie saras go for about $100 up here, they last though our last was over seven years old when she decided she could fly :(

Yeah, heard they don't mind a jump every now & then. Usually don't see juvi saratoga in Sydney for less than $150, & sometimes hard to find. I couldn't keep em at the mo' anyway, a young one could get killed by my snakehead & a bigger one could kill my empire gudgeon! For some reason the two gudgeon species get along OK though.

Nice fish. i used to have a Barramundi, and a heap of rainbows. Then got rid of them..
A pet shop down the road has some cheap baby Spangleds, so I am hopeing to get one soon..

Nice fish. i used to have a Barramundi, and a heap of rainbows. Then got rid of them..
A pet shop down the road has some cheap baby Spangleds, so I am hopeing to get one soon..

They want to be cheap, considering there freely available from your local creek.

Had a eastern cod for a while he was awesome used to eat whatever i put in his tank ,ended up putting him in a mates huge dam as he got to big.

Currently have

Three snakehead gudgeons
Two eel-tail catfish
Five salmon-tail catfish
Sleepy cod
Tarpon
Banded puffer
Mudskipper
Two red and two silver scats

Would like a jardini saratoga, australian lungfish and a murray cod but no space for them at the moment.

mouth almighty , red scat , mangrove jack , eels
and i own an aquarium with plenty of other lovely aussies

Awesome to see a lot of like minded people! Go the Aussie natives!! Keep those comments coming!! Would love to see some pics of anyones fish too.

Hey Coz666 & Tsubakai, do you keep the scats & the puffer in a community tank? If so, do you have probs with them nipping fins of other fish??

If anyone knows where I can get a decent size sleepy cod in the Sydney metro area, please let me know, haven't seen them on sale for ages & want to replace the one I lost recently. Watching it stalk & smash feeder fish (barbs) was awesome!

We had a Mangrove Jack for about 18months. Great fish, intelligent and lots of fun to watch destroy rats, mice geckoes and chicken necks. Another interesting fish I kept was a Moses Perch that was switched over to fresh water. It was probably the prettiest fish I've kept in a tank.
If I had another large tank it would be a toss up between another Jack or an Dovii(American Cichlid). A Bullrout would be nice too.
Cheers,

Kris.

I love australian fish. I have a few at the moment. I had to sell my Saratoga leichardti to try cut down in tank space and maintenance. I still have two barramundi that are over a foot each, a Tandanus catfish, two Rhendals catfish, a school of Crimson spot rainbows and an OZ lungfish.

Sooty grunter, redclaw, empire gudgeons, rainbowfish, native shrimp and pacific blue eyes. Have also had eel tailed cats, jungle perch, mangrove jack plus a heap of saltwater natives.
Spangles perch aren't the most friendly tank inhabitants, although better by far than sooties. Sooties will kill a jack or barra more than twice their size.
Here's a nice snakehead
fish1.jpg

fish.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back