Anyone Know

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GraftonChic

Reaction score
One of my larger beardie babies today started to have what might be a fit.
He is sitting there fine and then starts shaking and going round in circles. Was perfectly fine this morning
Has eaten and pooed ..Has good heating and gets taken out into the sun. Has crickets, woodies and salads, with vitamin spray (on the vegies) and calcium when they will eat it.
They have mistings and a weekly bath.
Any ideas?
He is solid and healthy looking and active before this incident

Maybe lack of calcium, I didnt think beardies needed to be misted

Sounds like lack of calcium to me. If you get to the problem quick it can be fixed by using liquid calcium. Depending on size give the dragon one-two drops a day and to have access to direct sun light all day. The dragon should come good in about 1-2 weeks. You should be able to purchase liquid calcium from a vet (Herpacal)

ok

I have liquid calcium so i have given him 2 drops, will keep that up and see. I cant have him in the sun all day, so I have ordered a tube for the fluro light. I do take him out each day though

Liquid calcium will not work without direct sun light. If your dragon is calcium deficient a UV tube is not good enough. For all of my hatchlings i use big plastic storage tubs with a wire mesh lids.

We have too many predators to leave them outside all day, plus its too hot. Still in the 30's here. I am also not home during the day to keep an eye on them.

We have too many predators to leave them outside all day, plus its too hot. Still in the 30's here. I am also not home during the day to keep an eye on them.

an inexensive option is as suggested a tub with wire over it. You can also cover half of the tub so that the beardie can go under cover if the tub is too hot. Just make sure the cover is think wood to insulate the heat....dont use tin. 30s isnt to hot for a beardie...they looove 40+ temps.
Two tubs joined with one covered with wood and the second covered in wire would provide a good temp range for him....even drill some holes in the sides for extra air would be good as the sun on the side can get a bit warm early morning and evening.
Not many predators can take a tub apart.
Sun or death,if they are correct,isnt really that hard a choice.

If he is suffering lack of calcium, you can give him liquid Vitamin D (the vitamin produced by the UVB/sunlight rays) to help absorb the calcium.

Some people won't use it, however I've used it on my beardie (additional to UVB light) since he was a hatchling (he's over a year old now) and have never had an issue with him. I've been told by people who've had issues with calcium deficient beardies that it's worked wonders.

Not all pet stores stock it, it's made by "T-Rex" and it's called "Solar Drops - Liquid UVB".

If you have trouble finding some and decide to use it let me know, it's $20 at my local pet store and I can express post some to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back