Anyone please help :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaraLee

Reaction score
Hello :)

So I need some help/opinions. I recently received a gorgeous little man ( around xmas time ) and im kind of getting conflicting stories so I am a little bit confused- obviously i am a first time owner. Anyways, the guy who gave me the snake told me he was a 'morteon island carpet python' and that he was a year old. When i went into the pet store to get everything to set up my babies new home i took him with me.. And i was chatting to the people in the reptile section about everything im going to need and they ended up saying to me that they believe he is hybrid, and looks underweight for his age ( which has left me concerned ) I currently feed him one fuzzie rat every thursday. Which they said is right as he still has a bulge in belly. But when i spoke to the previous owner, he told me i should be giving him three fuzzie rats a week. Can someone please tell me what they feed/fed their snake at that age? Im also posting a pic so if you guys can tell me what you think he is ( as the previous owner still insists he is a morteon island carpet ) and if he does look underweight for a year?

thank you guys! :) IMG_7092-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2820.jpg
    IMG_2820.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
My guy is a coastal Carpet he is 13 and a half months old, he currently has 1 weaner rat or very small adult rat every 7-10 days aprox I would just offer him an extra fuzzy and see if he wants the extra one :)

We have a Little Fella who is about 16 months old and he was underweight when he come to us. We had troubles getting him to feed on Pinkies, put him on fuzzies and he was okay...put him on Weaners and he is powering along!

The only python species found on moreton island is the coastal/eastern carpet python ( Morelia spilota Mcdowelli).. IMO going of the pictures you provided it is some sort of hybrid/intergrade, if you don't plan on using it for a breeding project which I'm guessing your not I wouldn't be worried on the specific species it is.
Going of the pictures you provided IMO fuzzies sounds a bit small, I have hatchie carpets around the 4months mark on fuzzies and my yearling carpets around that size taking adult mice and about to make the move to rats.. I'd be going with a weaned rat once a week.. If your keen on getting a specific food size weigh the snake just after it defecates and your aiming for around 10-15% of it's body weight.. the chart below will give you a rough idea on rodent sizes..

Attachments

• rodent chart.jpg
    rodent chart.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 57
Certainly a top looking snake regardless of hybrid or not.

beautiful snake looks like an intergrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back