Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its a 4x2x2, 120G 400 something L.

ah I did not chose any of these fish :( all came free. I guess its better to wait then rush it.

Yes it makes sense butters, there is the tickle system above and the wet/dry + skimmer system below that putting it at 10 turn overs per hour which I believe from my little reading is the recommended amount ?

Guess better to leave the lion out. I didnt think it would work to be honest. Whats wrong with the trigger? I have not got around to reading on him buts his my favorite at the moment, swims like a champ with those fins.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Yep larger volumes of water dilute waste products more so you can get away with a lot more in bigger tanks. Still limits though.
I used to design, build, setup and maintain marine aquariums on a commercial basis so have set up a fair few tanks. I have setup and stocked tanks in one day but the planning may have involved months to make sure it works.

I had clowns in with a lion fish once that was around the same body size and the lion fish ate them.

Butters you used to work at pet city didn't you.

Yeah triggers are cool but they are not really community fish. If they choose to use those teeth most other fish don't have a chance. Niger triggers are one of the more peaceful ones so you may be ok but forget putting any corals or others inverts in there as they will just end up being lunch.

Yes Jason I did.

Thats why I never got any there a nice fish but.

Butters I have been going there for years since they where around the corner where the plumbing shop is might have
already talked to you a number of times lol :D

Probably did! Left a couple of years ago and went where the money is. Still miss it though. Was like Christmas every week opening box after box of corals and fish.

They don't pay to well in that industry I went there for a job once but i found out how much they paid and changed
my mind.
Same as the nursery industry, I did that for five years but the pay wasn't good.

You shouln't work with your hobby it costs to much. :lol:

I actually got paid far more than most in the industry but compared to the mining game it was peanuts.

Squrtle heres a pic of the skimer I used for my reef setup.
DSCF1159.jpg

GEEEE jason that thing looks huge! 3ft high?

I believe those type of skimmers sit in side the sump if I am correct?

So this is not nearly as interesting as the rest of the thread but I have a large tank Im still trying to set up, all I need is the stand but I cant find one I would trust on my floor. My house has wooden floors under the carpet in all rooms and I cant seem to find a stand that would spread the wait over more than a couple of legs and maybe Im paranoid but i wouldnt trust that much weight on so few spots. Any ideas?

I like the new tank you have there btw :)

So this is not nearly as interesting as the rest of the thread but I have a large tank Im still trying to set up, all I need is the stand but I cant find one I would trust on my floor. My house has wooden floors under the carpet in all rooms and I cant seem to find a stand that would spread the wait over more than a couple of legs and maybe Im paranoid but i wouldnt trust that much weight on so few spots. Any ideas?

How big of a tank you talking mate? Do you mean you want to rip the carpet up or put it on carpet? I had to get a cabinet made up for my Barra tank that held 1200L, look up cabinet makers in your area and get a quote on a setup that would hold the desired weight that way you can get it made to what you want draws, storage spot and a spot for your sump or canister filters so it's all hidden away..

Like said depends on the size. your best bet is a flat base unit, or using blue tongue wood under the leg stand so it spreads more. wont look good but apparently it works. I have slab so never tested it.

If the tank is huge. you may want to go under the house and see where the house support beams are. your tank may sag the floor and slowly break it. If you dont have any near the house you will need to add some. This is only for big tanks but... I dont know big is different for everyone. My grandma thinks a 2ft is big I dont even consider 2fters fish tanks. xD

OK its not that big, 650Lt or there abouts, the tank is 15mm so pretty heavy by itself plus gravel etc as you would guess. Its not that im worried about the stand holding it but the floor. I cant get under the house so I cant tell where the supports are. Yeah I was thinking about a flat base sort of set up. As you can tell I have A LOT of trust in my floor lol. Cheers for answers, Im prob just paranoid as I said but wouldnt be fun if the floor or tank or both collapsed.

Just finished setting up my planted tank setup and is now cycling, so now it's time to start choosing plant species and finding where I can get them an start scaping.. Wondering if anyone can help me out with any other species of plants that are low,medium light rating and fairly easy to grow so far I have on the list..

Java moss
star moss
Anubias minima
Crypt wendtii
Asian Ambulia
water violet
compact corymbosa

well I couldn't hold back... I saw a long finned batface sw fish yesterday and got a sw tank today all setup with a few fish. my only issues is where to put it ikes....

IMG-20120608-00182.jpg

IMG-20120608-00174.jpg

IMG-20120608-00180.jpg

IMG-20120608-00181.jpg

Sorry for the phone images ! u cant really see well but its pretty amazing. Very different from F/W I even find these little fish are not scared of people like some F/W fish and are very playful + the colors are amazing! also got this one guy who lives under the sand :S

The filter is an all in one system, with skimmer and wet/dry in one + a HOB power head thing. over all loving it apart for the faulty power head that gave me electrical shocks 3 times in a row xD I was like WHATS THAT FEELING OWWWIEE haha lets try that again OWWWWIEEEEE ok no more OWWWWIEEE :D I am an idiot !
so cute ive got four normal clown fish and 2 black and whites ones and a gold striped black maroon yeap awesome pets they eat out of my hand and every thing one breeding pair

GEEEE jason that thing looks huge! 3ft high?

I believe those type of skimmers sit in side the sump if I am correct?
It's a little over a meter you can sit them beside the sump as long as the water level is right.

Get a thick peice of ply wood and stick it under the stand to spred the wait if you need to turn the stand upside down
and screw it to the legs, just make sure the ply goes over a couple of beams.

Last edited:
I was trying to avoid that but guess it will have to be done, might try and put it under the carpet. Cheers.

Hey guys bit off topic, but would anyone in melbourne be keen giving me a hand tomorrow ? :)

My massive tank is finished and need a few more people to help out move it. Its on a troll that jacks up to the height of the tank so its just a matter of lifting it from the troll onto the stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back