Are SLR cameras worth the money??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont forget to put UV filters on your lenses, they are cheap to replace compared to a scratched lense.

Yes it's much cheaper to replace the uv filter then couple grand lens depending on size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've recently gone from a Miro Four Thirds to a full DSLR. I love my Nikon D7000, great camera and I learn something new on it everyday.

A mate of mine picked up the Nikon D3100 Twin Lens kit and loves that. I had a play with it shortly after he bought it and thought it was a really good entry level DSLR that takes great shots.

awesome, its good to get some real feed back

I think you can get an adapter thing if you wear glasses, I just got diagnosed as needing glasses so I'll be looking into that as well.

I think its called a lense diopter, and aDSLR should have focus adjustments on the viewfinder.

definately worth it. Those twin lens kits are good to hone your skills and take gorgeous shots. If you want to upgrade to a better lens later (as the twin lens kits usually have base model lenses) then your picture quality will improve even more. I would say go for any canon or nikon twin lens kit practise and have fun. Then later on get yourself a bit better lens for say 500 bucks.

the photos i took of the flowers with step dads camera turned out fantastic. it wasnt that hard to shoot them. is it really all that easy oro does it take time to set up the camera??

the photos i took of the flowers with step dads camera turned out fantastic. it wasnt that hard to shoot them. is it really all that easy oro does it take time to set up the camera??

It will only take short time to figure outthe basic controls, I just use apature priority usually. You will find your favourite settings and it will become second nature to you.

Why would you use the LCD to shoot, I'm confused

It's useful for shots from difficult angles. It's quite useful for macro shots as well since you are often forced to shoot in awkward positions, the other benefit is you can bring up a crop of the image to finely manually focus.

It's useful for shots from difficult angles. It's quite useful for macro shots as well since you are often forced to shoot in awkward positions, the other benefit is you can bring up a crop of the image to finely manually focus.
Ok, that all sounds fair. I used film for so long I guess I only thought of the LCD as a viewing device post shot.

definately worth it. Those twin lens kits are good to hone your skills and take gorgeous shots. If you want to upgrade to a better lens later (as the twin lens kits usually have base model lenses) then your picture quality will improve even more. I would say go for any canon or nikon twin lens kit practise and have fun. Then later on get yourself a bit better lens for say 500 bucks.
Depends if you have much use for a telephoto lens, a lot of people never seem to use them much.

There's much more interesting lenses you can get for a similar price eg:
Canon + 18-55 + 50mm f1.8
Nikon 18-55 + 35mm f1.8
Sony 18-55 + 30mm f2.8 macro or 50mm f1.8

Depends if you have much use for a telephoto lens, a lot of people never seem to use them much.

There's much more interesting lenses you can get for a similar price eg:
Canon + 18-55 + 50mm f1.8
Nikon 18-55 + 35mm f1.8
Sony 18-55 + 30mm f2.8 macro or 50mm f1.8

good call but i still think its best for a beginner to have a broad range of focal length to play with.

welll you giys have pretty much sold me!!!

looks like a new camera is on the list!!

welll you giys have pretty much sold me!!!

looks like a new camera is on the list!!

cameras are awesome but im a camera nerd so i would say that lol. A decent camera is always a good investment. Snap away and capture amazing images and memories in beautiful quality. Sounds good to me.

to be honest i would recommend the nikon d90 with twin lens kit. great camera that will last you. make sure the twins lens kit is with nikon lenses and don't let someone talk you into getting it with a standard sigma lens (although if the sigma lens is f2.8 go for it!) eventually you will probably like to get a 60mm f2.8 macro lens. which is a pretty handy lens at a good price! with uv filters, make sure you get a top of the range one as the glass used in the filter can make a good lens useless. if you want to use ebay, look at digital-rev, they have awesome prices and are trust worthy!

I just bought the D3100 (body only) with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens and it's awesome. It's fast and you get better depth of field with it. A good lens to start off and stick with for a long time. I don't regret it at all. I also just boght a SB-700 flash as the built-in flash is not so good and it's so worth it =).

I just bought the D3100 (body only) with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens and it's awesome. It's fast and you get better depth of field with it. A good lens to start off and stick with for a long time. I don't regret it at all. I also just boght a SB-700 flash as the built-in flash is not so good and it's so worth it =).

ballinggg :)

that tamron lens is quite good considering the cost. i still use that lens when i shoot weddings!
with the flash have fun experimenting with it, bouncing the light from walls or ceilings as you shoot!

to be honest i would recommend the nikon d90 with twin lens kit. great camera that will last you. make sure the twins lens kit is with nikon lenses and don't let someone talk you into getting it with a standard sigma lens (although if the sigma lens is f2.8 go for it!) eventually you will probably like to get a 60mm f2.8 macro lens. which is a pretty handy lens at a good price! with uv filters, make sure you get a top of the range one as the glass used in the filter can make a good lens useless. if you want to use ebay, look at digital-rev, they have awesome prices and are trust worthy!
The good thing about D90 is you can use the older Japanese made AF lens and you can get them at very good prices, I picked up some absolute bargains from the US ebay site.

also for those that have a dslr and are not quite sure how to use it to the best capabilities, try a digital photography for beginners course at tafe. well worth it in my opinion.

another lens that might be a good one to look into if you want a decent lens but don't want to spend a few thousand, the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens is a nice lens that won't break the bank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back