Arhh So Frustrating !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exotic-Doc - you made me laugh with your original post, so fresh, and honest.
Thereafter I read on with interest at the replies you received - you are completely brave opening up this topic.
And as I bet myself a dollar, because someone had to!! - 1stprincess complained about the price of consult fees and wished to no avail about medicare. So. Dollar paid to myself LOLOL...
In future, sometime down the road, after you righteously do India, and Africa, you will come back to these shores and randomly find yourself doing a health check and vaccination on a ten week old pup.
You will note the obvious on the file, and try to do the right thing by the owner.
Part of that also includes INSURANCE for the animal.
People such as 1stprincess can insure their animal for $8-$12 a week and be covered up to $2500++ for accidents, emergency care, cystotomies, major dentals, etc etc etc....they only have to stop dreaming about medicare and actually make a weekly/fortnightly payment that is a third of the cost of a packet of ciggies or a couple of capuccinos. SIGH.

Cement - you are right - some practices are just not into wildlife, and as you found, the younger vets will at least try to get an outcome and ask questions. Part of a new graduates' set-up in the workplace is that they must be given support by the principles of the practice and or senior nurse on call.
It can be a very big world for some of the brightest and best graduates, but in the early years, they need support, as above, and should not be put-down (not saying you do - but just getting it out there) because they are honest and say they need to refer something or look something up. Sometimes.....a snake may actually look gravid to that particular vet - and while she/he may not be that experienced with herps, they are probably absolute whizzes at US, and therefore the process is to rule out slugs - and you can't be that sure she wasn't looking for fluid sitting there festering too. Everything has a "process" - and every vet is different in their journey to an outcome.

PhilK - ha haaaaa....fancy asking people to pay for wildlife !! I love it. :) I reckon I've seen it maybe 6 times the last ten years.
Some random - just coming in and dropping off and thrusting a $20 note at the receptionist.....and others just bringing it up in a consult with the vet, and wanting to donate on the way out. RARE AS HENS TEETH.

Native Wildlife is technically the property of the Crown. This is simple statement - yet covers so many nuances.
The finer points of which are not up for debate to the general public - as they are lay-people.
For a bird (EG) to be seen and treated it must firstly have a good body condition score.
The animal needs to withstand a surgery, and recover well to a state that it can be released and survive in the wild.
This aftercare is usually taken up by invaluable carers who spend the time getting weight on and not humanising the animal as much as possible.
If the wing is broken - the wing should be assessed as a viable option to be fixed - so a completely smashed joint anywhere on the body or leg is not going to be assessed as anything other than a PTS. Many birds come in with broken body parts, however this can be is a symtom of underlying Beak-and Feather Disease, the body condition is crapola, the crop is empty, and the bird has stumpy ill-formed feathers on its chest and back that speak volumes to those who know what they are looking at.
So !! Again - lovely topic - I'm enjoying myself LOL....at the end of the day, vets are people too - they have families, mortgages, a quirky nature, and are only too aware of the trials and tribulations of the job. The fact that they are paid 15k less than a first year grad of education is not what they are about. IMO people who whinge about vets are too stupid to insure their pets and project their lack of fiscal ambivalence onto people who don't deserve it. Harsh, but true. :) :)

Loving this thread.. so glad i started it, and triple thumbs up for pet insurance. My dog has it, most people at work have it. And it can save you big dramas in the future. Instead of medicare, this is the best option...Thanks for you kind words ToadCountry appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back