assist feeding help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Reaction score
I am thinking about assist feeding my BHP. She has not eaten a rat pup since I got her I have forced onr or two rat tails into her but am not too keen on a rat pup.

Help needed.

Cheers

Hi Frank,

Myself and at least one other member received a PM from you a few weeks ago regarding your BHP's but we could not reply as you seem to have your PM's turned off, you might want to check that out.

Assist feeding is the technique i used to get my female BHP feeding. Basically what i did was gently remove her from her cage, sat down and then put her on my lap and waited until she was calm and relaxed. I had 3 small mice (dead obviously) beside me ready to go. Once she was relaxed, which was pretty much straight away, i gently held her head with my fingers (as you would if you were about to milk a venomous snake). Then i grabbed one of the mice and held it (in my other hand) in a similar way. Using the snout of the mouse, i (gently) pried open the snake's mouth and then inserted the mouse's head into the snake's mouth. The whole time i tried my best not to hold the snake to firmly,which helped to reduce the amount of stress and resistance from the snake. This is important because if the snake stresses out too much, as soon as you let go of the snake it will spit the mouse straight out. So once you have the mouse in the snake's mouth (don't try and push it down its throat, just place it in as far as it will go without any pressure), very, very gently and slowly release your grip of the snake's head. Hopefully, having the mouse in her mouth will be enough of a stimulant for her to finish doing the rest herself. As i said though, the important thing is to monitor her stress levels, as she will not eat if she feels threatened. Do everything slowly and gently, and if you think she is stressing too much, put her back and the next day.

I would not recommend inserting the mouse down the throat at this stage, as this should be done by someone with more experience, or at least whilst someone with more experience is there to guide you through it. Hopefully the above method will be enough to get her going. After my girl ate her first mouse using the technique above, she immediately took another 2 mice from my fingers completely unassisted, so it can and did work for me, hopefully you will have the same luck.

Cheers and good luck.

Brendon

Sorry about the typos in my post - was in a rush and didn't double check it, the main error is at the end of the second paragraph, the last sentence of that paragraph should read - Do everything slowly and gently, and if you think she is stressing too much, put her back and try again the next day.

How many feeds did it have before you got it and what was it feeding on?

she had 3 rat tails and 3 day old rat pups.

I have tried to feed he live rat pups thawed but no luck. I have gently slid 3 rat tails down just to keep food in her guts but when I get a rat pup out and try I don't feel confident enough in feeding her. I think she being small and my hands being biggish I feel thai I might hurt or injur her.

cheers

Who did you buy your BHP from mate?

Mr B explained the task perfectly. The only thing i'd ad is to use something sterile to open the hatchlings mouth with. I'm assuming you don't have any probes handy, you could use the handle end of a spoon. Take care not to break any teeth though. When you've put the pinkie in the mouth of the snake, hold the jaws shut and pull back on the pinkie slightly, this will help to 'lock the food item in' and reduce the chance of the snake being able to 'spit' the mouse.

Den

feeding hatchie bhp's

l will put my two cents worth in, l start off with a rat tail pushed right to the back of the jaw line [to open the jaws l use a fresh round toothpick for each snake,these ones are sharpened both ends, cut one sharp end off clean with sharp scissors]my rat tails are always soaked in a bucket of warm water [to aid getting it down]once the jaws are opened insert your [wet] rat tail, then push it in with your finger and then with the blunt end of the tooth pick to the back of the jaw line after 3-4 feeds 5-6 days apart then insert it only half way down the jaw line then 3-4 feeds later to the front of the jaw line for 3-4 feeds when it accepts this readily at this point you will generally have a hatchie bhp ready to eat pinkie rats with minimal frustration to you and the hatchie.....this system takes a tad longer....this system has worked for me for a fair while now...........cheers solar 17 [baden]

have tried and tried but still no go, I have contacted the seller and he is going to take her back and get her going again for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back