Aus Addiction reptiles in US?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
retics, burms, african monitors, spiney tailed iggys , green iggys & bearded dragons (just to mention a few) have also been seen & captured in the everglades.

Last edited:
The problem is that exotics were freely available in just about any pet shop and when they became unmanageable they were released. I find it quite bizarre that people use this as an example of why they shouldn't be legalised here when it is the very fact that they are illegal and being bred completely unregulated that is causing any issues.

I was on an American forum earlier tonight and they said that the restrictions on importing from Aust were very slack in the 70's and a lot of reptiles, mainly spotted pythons and blue tongues, were exported illegally. Don't know how true it is but that's from a guy trying to explain to a keeper why they couldn't bring their spotted to Aust when they move here late this year. How's that for irony lol

i thought OPMV was brought in by australian reptile park back in the 90's. or am i lost?

Granted, they had an outbreak. But I don't think it could be stated that they brought it in. The outbreak was caused by the rapid influx of animals to restock after the fire that destryed their collection. I believe there were only animals coming in, not going out.

The problem is that exotics were freely available in just about any pet shop and when they became unmanageable they were released. I find it quite bizarre that people use this as an example of why they shouldn't be legalised here when it is the very fact that they are illegal and being bred completely unregulated that is causing any issues.

good point boa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back