Australia / QLD laws on jags

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably right notech but that is still a technical loop hole. A normal Jag is a regular Coastal mutation. No crossbreeding so no "illegal" activity

No loophole - the legislation also prohibits the breeding of mutations, if you'd bothered to read it. The simple fact is that everybody turns a blind eye because they dont believe the government cares and carries on doing whatever they want too.

All the morelia sp. carpets have been genetically compared and even the carpet pythons from New Guinea were genetically almost identical to the ones from northern australia. So detecting even a new guinea hybrid will likely be impossible using DNA. Bredli, south west and possible inland carpets (4.9% sequence divergent) are the only hybird carpets that can be detected and possibly destroyed.....

I think it is a bit of a grey area in Qld.

The term hybrid or mutation, i think, is a very loose term. It is up to you on how you interpret their legislation if you want to argue it with them. "Mutation" could be classed as a "hybrid", not a genetic trait. It would be interesting to know what exactly DERM class as a hybrid.

I think if questioned you could argue most the jag crossings as not being hybrid depending on how you understand taxonomy, with bredli/chondro's and rsp crosses being a bit more difficult. I did ask them the question on albinos years ago, and they were not concerned as long as it was a pure darwin, not a cross with anything else (not that they would be able to tell, or have the ability/funds to start dna testing).

What are people putting on their qld MA's? just morelia spilota? or do you go as far as m.s.mcdowelli, cheynei etc?
I don't think it makes much difference how you or me or anybody else in the hobby interprets the legislation if push came to shove it is how the DERM interprets the legislation that matters. I think the Queensland legislation allows for accidental cross breeds but I am not sure how that is determined and more than once may not be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back