australian panther

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do u beleave theres a panther

• no your crazy

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • yes i do beleave

Votes: 36 31.9%
  • ive seen it

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • i beleave theres something

Votes: 36 31.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people seem to think that because they haven't seen a panther themselves, it simply doesn't exist, therefore the product of the vivid imaginations and crazy delusions of other people. This type of thinking is what I call 'boxed' logic. Regardless, data has been collected on these panthers, and is registered with the relevent authorities. These include: scats, paw prints, dismembered carcasses (consumed in a typical black leopard/ panther style), footage (one which was identified as a panther, by the authorities themselves, here
in Australia), and observations by members of the public. Interviews with some of these people are convincing evidence that what they have seen is indeed a panther, and as already said, these were close up observations of a predator, estimated as being in the weight range around 70 kgs. These are people that seemed to have better things to do than fantasise about imaginary big cats and were concerned for their kids safety and also for local bushwalkers. They had little interest in attempting to prove themselves, they believed the best course of action was alert the authorities as it was an animal control issue, as well as a risk to public safety. In one area alone several strangers reported seeing the same animal with the same description, which was chillingly accurate. Before I'd seen the interviews and data collected, I would have been a total sceptic.

Amazing no one has found a carcass or skull etc of one.

A work mate and his friends doing "tracking" all the time all over NSW and have never found a big cat track.

Last edited:
This is a cool (read bizarre) website:

Rex & Heather Gilroys Mysterious Australasia

EDIT: Dept. Primary Industries Report- Reports of large black cats in NSW | NSW Department of Primary Industries

Here is a photo of the "Illawarra Tiger" captured recently. It is very savage.

28-07-09_1856.jpg

Last edited:
In the 1890's in the South East of SA, a large predator was stalking and killing local livestock. There were sightings and rumours of a large dog like creature, but many doubted it was more than just dingos. Whatever it was got the nickname the 'Tantanoola Tiger'. There were landowners who were sceptical and those who had seen it, but real proof was short coming, and many just didn't believe the culprit was anything more than the dingos. Then in 1896 it was finally found and shot, and turned out to be an Assyrian Wolf, of whose origin no one knew. To this day it is stuffed and mounted at the Tantanoola Hotel. So with panthers, it is time that will tell if they are here or not.......

Comparing big cats in Australia to such things isn't even remotely a good comparison seen as big cats actually do exist, it's just that whether they are in Australia or not is debatable. For it to be comparable it would be like aliens, bigfoot, easter bunny and santa do exist but only in certain countries :p.

It could be a long shot but take into consideration Australia is a viable place for a lot of exotic species, you can't tell me it would be 100% impossible for a big cat to survive in Australia there is plenty of bushland out there and big cats are naturally good at virtually disappearing into cover, have you watched documentaries on them? (Besides lions)They don't stand out in the open plains screaming "HAY GAIZ LOOK AT ME OVER HERE I'M A BIG CAT LOL".Some are so elusive they are pretty much only filmed by setting up cameras that are left for periods of time. They are made to be stealthy.

I don't believe they are 100% out there, but i believe it can be a possibility.
'that is wat i think the leopard is 1 of the worlds stealthyest animals there the ninjas of the animal kindom.more poeple have seen them because there easyer to see and not many people carry a camera and have it turned on all day just to get the right shot and a beleaveable 1 but i do no that its hard to beleave that there hasnt been any kills but if u think about theres nothing really to kill it like theres no predators maybe snake bite or winded in a hunt but yer its all to hard to explain

In the 1890's in the South East of SA, a large predator was stalking and killing local livestock. There were sightings and rumours of a large dog like creature, but many doubted it was more than just dingos. Whatever it was got the nickname the 'Tantanoola Tiger'. There were landowners who were sceptical and those who had seen it, but real proof was short coming, and many just didn't believe the culprit was anything more than the dingos. Then in 1896 it was finally found and shot, and turned out to be an Assyrian Wolf, of whose origin no one knew. To this day it is stuffed and mounted at the Tantanoola Hotel. So with panthers, it is time that will tell if they are here or not.......

The Tantanoola Tiger used to sit inside one of the caves I managed at Tantanoola. Thank goodness that manky thing got moved to the pub :lol:

Another shot of the Illawarra Tiger:
Photo0307.jpg

Yes that photo is the well documented and no doubt real Australian genus of the Panther species- scientific name Royceus Simmonsus. most often found in the Penrith Area and closely related to the Gregarious Alexanderus found in the Epping precinct..

The Tantanoola Tiger used to sit inside one of the caves I managed at Tantanoola. Thank goodness that manky thing got moved to the pub :lol:

Another shot of the Illawarra Tiger:
View attachment 106130

That Illawarra Tiger looks like something you'd see in town on a Saturday night lol
Who says dogs can't do drag ;)

'that is wat i think the leopard is 1 of the worlds stealthyest animals there the ninjas of the animal kindom.more poeple have seen them because there easyer to see and not many people carry a camera and have it turned on all day just to get the right shot and a beleaveable 1 but i do no that its hard to beleave that there hasnt been any kills but if u think about theres nothing really to kill it like theres no predators maybe snake bite or winded in a hunt but yer its all to hard to explain

If there is any proof, show it.
I work with a group of guys who go shooting in Gippsland, Vic, a minimum of 2 times a month. They use game cameras, etc, to plan areas to cover to get the game they are after.
They predominantly shoot for deer. Bucks with good racks. These are extremely difficult to shoot, even from close to a kilometer, camoflaged. Some people never get to shoot a big buck. There is a lot of footwork involved & they see a lot, that's why they are out there.
It works out good as that's where I get my herping tips from.
They have never recorded, seen or shot any form of exotic big cat.
If they did, it would be mounted on their wall, believe me.
They also shoot for foxes, to eradicate or at least control the numbers.
These are another animal that's extremely stealthy.
The main guy has parents down there who own a farm, which backs onto Wilsons Promotory. That's where they base themselves out of.
He has been doing this for 25 years or so & still no sighting.

I know there were presumed sightings, even recently, of big cats in Gippsland, but no proof.

They also shoot for foxes, to eradicate or at least control the numbers.
These are another animal that's extremely stealthy.

Yeah so stealthy I have had one walk right past me and didn't take any notice of me,
My partner has also fed one

That's pretty stealthy:rolleyes:

Well I think trying to feed a dead fox would be less than productive,
I just don't really understand your post

???
See if you can find another fox or feed another fox after you have just shot a fox

Either way, obviously it isnt doing much damage to the ecosystem for us to be in doubt of its existance. If they do exist (which i think the one in the footage is the real deal) it wont last long once its proven.

Well wouldn't most animals scatter after a shot?
I just don't think its an attribute only foxes possess

ok i beleave u fully to and yer its hard wat to beleave, but ive been watching the youtube thingos there just copies of today tonight and the killings r the same as wat happen to owe alpacas, i cant show u the pics im not allowed and they r very graphic they had no face left u could see every little bone in its head. There has been the rear acasion(spelling sorry)where owe horses has had massive scratches but we didnt no about the panther when it happen and if u take the time just 10min should do, just go google and search australian panther it shows all the sightings some hair samples droppings foot prints alot of stuff

It seems that these pics are also legit then.
I took them on a recent holiday to Bali

Attachments

• Rodeo.jpg
    Rodeo.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Catch a ride.jpg
    Catch a ride.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Bunjee Jumping.jpg
    Bunjee Jumping.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 72
  • SharkAttack.jpg
    SharkAttack.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 78
panther? don't be silly, its clearly a chupacrobras! or possibly a kraken!

i do believe there is something out there, unfortunately the true story behind it may have been lost some wheres along the lines, so atm it fits the bill of as criptoid . its out it just dosent want us to know where

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back