Australian Reptile Park

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberlyann

Reaction score
So i was once again at the reptile park today for the ten millionth time and have decided to volunteer :D i have every single finger and toe crossed that they accept me, i would pretty much cry if i got in! Wish me luck guys, also i was looking at the retic they have there and i can not believe people in america can just go out and buy one of them, i mean the thing would of eaten my 16month old and still been looking for more!

aww yeah 4000Km is a bit for for me to commute as well, but good luck

my girlfriend and i are from geelong and plan on a road trip there is it as fantastic as it looks and sounds?

Good luck, ill hope to get a job or volunteer there in the future.

Its a great day out, they have shows and such during the days, i guess you could ring up to find out what is on the day you go and what time, the reptile shows is by far the best in my eyes haha, take a picnic with you or a bbq as they have bbq's there, the food is way over priced lol, but yea i love it there :) i went out today and handed all my forms in so im hoping i get in :)

Is that the one on the pacific highway that burned down years back? There's like a big dinosaur there? I'd like to go there, driven past many times.

So i was once again at the reptile park today for the ten millionth time and have decided to volunteer :D i have every single finger and toe crossed that they accept me, i would pretty much cry if i got in! Wish me luck guys, also i was looking at the retic they have there and i can not believe people in america can just go out and buy one of them, i mean the thing would of eaten my 16month old and still been looking for more!

Awesome! Might see you there :D I've been volunteering/working there for over a year now and I love it. Did you happen to watch the afternoon reptile show yesterday (Tuesday)? 'Cause that was me doing it haha.

Out back is much different to up front. The park in my experience relies heavily on volunteers for day to day cleaning of enclosures (pythons and lizards, I wasn't allowed to remove the bluetonges a little too dangerous), the park (raking leaves etc), cleaning all the glass in the displays (Reptile-Spider and Frog hollow)and moping floors, these are all volunteer jobs. I understand the bottom rung of the ladder scenario but to rely solely on volunteers for these jobs to me seems a little arrogant.

I applied to work in the venom shed firstly and was led to believe this would be where I was going to spend a few days, on arriving 5hrs from home I was informed the venom shed was on skeleton watch as a few blokes were away fencing in the Barrington Tops for the Tassie Devil project.

Most of the employees I met were helpful, some volies needed to remember they were volies and not executive members of staff and some cool animals that are not displayed are out there too!

I think if the initial hiccup with the area I was to work in had not have happened my experience would have been more positive.

I did get a chuckle out of one executive volie who had become so confident in his husbandry he purchased a spotted python and suggested after time I may do the same. I tried to be professional about it but giggled a little!

Yeah, i'm doing my yr ten work experience there at the end of the year. cant wait! although for the week i'm there, i also have to deal with fluffy animals that aren't food :(

If I wasn't working full time, I'd definitely love to volunteer there.

Yeh There staff turnover is massive. Good luck. Vollies are used and abused there. Been in and been out, Good luck again:)

Awesome! Might see you there :D I've been volunteering/working there for over a year now and I love it. Did you happen to watch the afternoon reptile show yesterday (Tuesday)? 'Cause that was me doing it haha.

No i seen the morning one though :) i wish i stuck around longer i missed the end of the show caz little miss needed a bum change :\ lol

Out back is much different to up front. The park in my experience relies heavily on volunteers for day to day cleaning of enclosures (pythons and lizards, I wasn't allowed to remove the bluetonges a little too dangerous), the park (raking leaves etc), cleaning all the glass in the displays (Reptile-Spider and Frog hollow)and moping floors, these are all volunteer jobs. I understand the bottom rung of the ladder scenario but to rely solely on volunteers for these jobs to me seems a little arrogant.QUOTE]

I dont mind cleaning, im glad to help really :) i just want it so bad hahaa

I use to volunteer at our local wildlife park and lucky for me was able to opt for the Reptile Enclosures. I absolutely loved it. I wasn't abused. I spent probably two days learning what had to be done then I was on my own. I was thrilled that they trusted me enough to leave me to take care of their reptiles while they were kept busy doing shows all round the park. I cleaned the windows of the displays which was probably the most boring but it is always nice to see the windows crystal clear. Then I got to clean up all their snakes and lizards, and fed them all too. I wasn't allowed to touch their vens or ;arge monitors due to liability issues, but I did get to sneak a pat of their big perentie who was just one big pussy cat. He didn't seem to be bothered that I was in his territory cleaning the glass after he smeared spit all over it. Then in my breaks I sat outside feeding all the resident water dragons who were obviously use to the free handouts. You'll love it. The only reason I stopped going is because I was taking up a position they had to give to a Uni Student. I absolutely pestered them for work but it was never gonna happen :( But I loved the time there and would go back any day. They cured me of my fear of lizards. Once, I freaked at someone's boyds dragon jumping onto my shoulder at a herp meeting, now I am out chasing lacies away from dangeorus ppl.

Stu if you are reading this, I want to come back :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back