Baby Accies feeding on my secret lizard and turtle mix...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have some baby accies that are doing very well on my "lizard and turtle mix". I got the opportunity to take a video of them with my son's camera while he and his family have been visiting from Canada and thought I would share.

http://herpshop.com.au/ht/traderPics/100_500.wmv

I find that for the first few weeks I need to feed small live insects and the meat mix but once they are feeding on the thawed meat they thrive.

Actually the recipe for what I feed them is not that much of a secret and I am happy to share if anybody is interested.

I'd like to know what your recipe is. I'm always trying to find new food types for my ackies just to mix things up a bit (and for when I have someone babysit them who doesn't like to deal with woodies).

1kg Kangaroo mince (from safeway)
600g Turkey mince (safeway again)
1 teaspoon herp-t-vite
2 teaspoons Rep-Cal Calcium
3 eggs whole - shells and all
200g frozen peas or spinach (A bit of vegetable matter simulates the gut contents of "whole animals")
1 litre frozen roaches (I regularly have to cull my colony and this is where they end up ;-)

Basically I blend everything except the mince with a hand blender and then mix in the minced meat. with a decent spoon.

It all gets spread on a sheet of plastic in layers about 8mm thick with glad wrap in between up to 3 layers and tossed in the freezer. Once frozen (tomorrow nights job) I snap the sheets into slabs to fit a container that stays in the freezer.

When it comes to serving I use a sharp knife, take out a slab, let is soften just a tad and cut it into pieces of the appropriate size. Baby accies get basically shavings cut into small bits. Larger goannas get bigger bits.

I also supplement with life insects and thawed small rodents which are very popular.

---------- Post added 11-Jan-11 at 10:31 AM ----------

... and by the way these little guys are currently for sale: add 100-500 on the HerpTrader

---------- Post added 11-Jan-11 at 10:34 AM ----------

I have some Alice Springs red form but these originate from the border county between Queensland and NT.

Nice looking ackies. What locale are they?

Could try putting it in ice cube trays? Might be easier than having to slice.
Could do with extra supplementation when thawed, certain vitamins break down in the freezer.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I have tried ice cube trays but have not found them to work all that well. With the mix rolled flat and thin (about 10mm) it is pretty easy to cut after having been out of the freezer for about 1 minute or so. The other thing is that depending on the age and the species you are always cutting it into different size... from match head size to fairly large cubes.

I just role them up into balls, then freeze them on baking paper before putting them into zip lock bags. Each ball feeds one enclosure per feeding.

I have tried ice cube trays but have not found them to work all that well. With the mix rolled flat and thin (about 10mm) it is pretty easy to cut after having been out of the freezer for about 1 minute or so. The other thing is that depending on the age and the species you are always cutting it into different size... from match head size to fairly large cubes.
Are you refreezing it when you've cut some off?
I used to roll it into balls, wrap up tightly in cling film and then freeze. When it came to defrosting I could just take it out and open the parcel when it was ready.

Have you had a go at writing nutritional values for it?
Shouldn't be too hard, just Google the individual values of the ingredients and add them up depending on the quantity used.
Knowing the protein, fat and energy values would enable you to compare it to livefood alone and would let you explain why your mix is better or worse.

Cut frozen, allowed to thaw and then fed.

Nutritionally it is almost pure protein with very little fat.

I have added gelatine to the mix instead of egg to make "turtle cubes" which worked well but I have found that the turtles do pretty well on the semi thawed cubes which float when they are frozen.

I made up a mix earlier this evening and substituted zucchini for the spinach.

One thing I find I have to watch is that some of the turkey mince has stuff added to it which I would rather not have included in the mix but I have used it and nobody seems to care.... except me ;-)

Cut frozen, allowed to thaw and then fed.

Nutritionally it is almost pure protein with very little fat.

I have added gelatine to the mix instead of egg to make "turtle cubes" which worked well but I have found that the turtles do pretty well on the semi thawed cubes which float when they are frozen.

I made up a mix earlier this evening and substituted zucchini for the spinach.

One thing I find I have to watch is that some of the turkey mince has stuff added to it which I would rather not have included in the mix but I have used it and nobody seems to care.... except me ;-)
That's not true, all the protein sources you've put in will have some fat, even the peas.
On top of that you have various vitamins in the veg and a high level of iron due to the peas and kangaroo meat.
I'd love to know what nasty stuff is in the turkey, lots of salt, sugar and preservatives I imagine.

It is a while since I have used "flavoured" turkey mince but I do not recall any salt. The last lot I bought was the pure from Tasman meats... but they do not sell the roo.

He said "Nutritionally it is almost pure protein with very little fat". He never said it had no fat Mrhoyo...
Love it when noobs give advice to the likes of Brian Barnett. :) You must have been keeping herps for almost a year by now hey herptrader? Hehehehehehehe ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
He said "Nutritionally it is almost pure protein with very little fat". He never said it had no fat Mrhoyo...
Love it when noobs give advice to the likes of Brian Barnett. :) You must have been keeping herps for almost a year by now hey herptrader? Hehehehehehehe ;)
So he did. Still doesn't account for the vitamin degradation after freezing though.

Who is Brian Barnett?

Brian Barnett - Owner of the Herp Shop www.herpshop.com.au
Brian Barnett has been a keen player in the world of Reptiles for over 50 years and is one of the last true pioneers. Over the years he seems to have met and known many of the people who shaped the hobby, as we know it today. Earlier in his life he was one of the first presidents of the V.H.S. Brian and the club worked closely with the Department governing the new licence system, through their efforts we are able to enjoy the hobby of Reptile keeping. Brian now devotes himself to running The Herp Shop and has supplied Reptile keepers with the tools, and products required to maintain our collections. He has always been a wealth of knowledge and has assisted many people over the years. The V.A.A.H would like to acknowledge Brian's contribution to Herpetology, come to this meeting and become apart of 50 years of Reptile related experiences.
Calendar of Events

'Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons' is the first of Mike Swan's husbandry and breeding guides to Australian reptiles. Mike has gone to great lengths to secure some of Australian's most experienced python breeders to compile this essential guide to breeding some of the worlds most beautiful snakes. Authors include - Kieran Aland, Brian Barnett, Rob Browne-Cooper, Greg Fyfe, Glen Gaikhorst, Russel Grant, Chris Hay, Geoff Heard, Adrian Hemens, Peter Krauss, Dr. David Pearson, Dr. Franciscus Scheelings, Neil Sonnemann, Brad Walker and John Weigel.

http://www.coolcompanions.com.au/au...-snakes-australian-reptiles/coastal-taipan-2/

Victorian Herpetological Society � Blog Archive � Brian Barnett 2011 VHS President

http://www.smuggled.com/BriBar15.htm

The Eastern Children's or Spotted Python - <I>Antaresia maculosus</I> - in Captivity - Definitive Paper by Brian Barnett.

Captive breeding and a novel egg incubation technique of the Childrens Python Liasis childreni

The Amethystine Python Morelia amethistina � Captive Breeding, Reproduction and Growth

list goes on and on and on.. I don't know him personally... But anyone who has bothered to read and learn about keeping reptiles would recognise his name instantly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really, I can guarantee you that most people who keep reptiles won't have a clue who he is unless they're in Australia. I've even got that Mike Swan book and I had no idea Brian Barnett was a contributor.
Sounds like he knows his stuff though, I'm going to have a look at some of his articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back