Baby Burtons Just Hatched!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salebrosus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Nearly three months ago i pulled an injured Burtons off the road. She had been run over and i thought for certain she would die. As fate would have it, she dropped her tail and where the injuries were located on the dropped tail, another 6mm would have killed her for sure. At the time i was sure she was gravid and after i consulted other reptile carers and people on this site it was decided to hold onto her for a week make sure she was ok and then release her. That week however i was holidaying in Vanuatu and flew back three days earlier. My partner, looked after my animals for me.

I walked into my herp room at 1am the day i got back from my holiday, to find one collapsed egg and one healthy looking egg, the poor Burtons was gravid. I offered the adult an Asian House Gecko which was quickly eaten and she was released 3 days later. The eggs were placed in vermiculite, the healthy egg just resting on top of the vermiculite, the collapsed egg was placed in an imprint of my forefinger in the vermiculite so that the vermiculite went up the sides of the egg.

Yesterday was 65 days since being laid (counted from the day i arrived home as my partner had checked on the animals the morning i flew back and there were no eggs). I woke up at 6am to find what looked like a water bead on the egg. I wasn't sure if the egg was sweating or if their was too much mositure in the tub. Soe i lightly wiped the egg with the corner of a tissue and wiped down the lid. At 8.30 am their were beads all over the egg so i knew for sure it was sweating. At 3.30pm yesterday afternoon i found the most gorgeous baby Burtons sitting there, tongue flicking away sitting next to the other egg.

This little Burtons is about to be released, deep into the bush not far from where its mother was hit. Hopefully the once collapsed but now apparently healthy egg hatches soon.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• P1010794.jpg
    P1010794.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 116
  • P1010795.JPG
    P1010795.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 79
  • P1010796.jpg
    P1010796.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 172
  • P1010797.jpg
    P1010797.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 119
  • P1010798.JPG
    P1010798.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 170
I love these guy's, a mate has them all over his property. Once walked into his parents with one latched onto my hand and told them it was a brown lol. Should have seen the look on there faces when we told them the truth. I would love to get some one day but preferably feeding on pinky's. They need u.v to dont they? I've only ever found them in the daytime so im guessing yeah.

Very cool, must be quite rewarding for you to know you saved not only the mother but the eggs too so they could all return where they belong.

LOL, all the Burtons i have seen have been on the road at night. They are a great little creatures, the adult that was hit squealed the whole time i picked her off the road and right up until she dropper her tail. Poor little thing.

I released 22 baby beardies a couple of months ago. The adult was hit by a car and i realised she was gravid. The result was a partially blind in one eye but very healthy mother who dropped 22 eggs on October 7. 2 months later, 22 baby beardies are running around looking for their baby woodies to eat. Fantastic feeling seeing them run off into the bush, but i still howl like a big girl.

that's awesome, i like burtons too, but i cant covince my girlfriend on them, oh well. salebrosus, i remeber when you posted about that i think, i did want to find out how that incubation went. its a choice story anyway.

thats the first time I've ever heard of them and see a pic. what are they? snakes or legless lizards?

nice one simone,you big girl you,lol

Yeah, i know i am a big girl. I guess aby reptiles is the only thing i am clucky with ;)

Well, last night i couldn't help but keep checking the egg. At 6pm i noticed a small bead of fluid and as i watched, i saw a second bead appear. At 8.30pm, the egg and a huge drop of fluid on it. At 10pm that drop of fluid had rolled off the egg but there was no split in the egg or anything else. When i woke up at 5.50am, i checked on the egg to see this little image. This one is in no hurry to leave his nice warm egg. They are just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute. I can't wait to release them.

Attachments

• P1010799.jpg
    P1010799.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 76
Oh I love burtons! That baby one is sooo cute!!

When I went to Gundabooka with some of the AHS, I found a few :)

These little lizards are the most widespread reptile in Australia. Its a shame that they are lizard eaters themselves, otherwise i am sure there would be many more people keeping them as pets.

Will post photos when i release them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back