baking a log for enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pat_adel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey i have a log which i found out bush and i want to put it in my enclosure what do i need to do someone told me to bake it can anyone provide me with some info

I just give mine a hose and scrub with Avi safe (Disinfectant), to get all dirt and loose bark etc off.

Just chuck it in.

If you're super paranoid you can put in in a black bin bag, then all that inside another black bin bag. Put that in the sun for 5-6 hours or so.

Yup, a good wash and dry out and it should be fine. I always do this with branches, esp for the bigger pythons, I meanhow the hell'd ya fit a 4ft long branch in an oven is beyond me :lol: Smaller logs fair enough, though it's unnecessary.

Soak in a bleech water mix and then wash it with boiling water, dry and if you want boiling water again

wash it carefully with 10% bleach solution (water with 10% bleach added to it) then give it a good rinse, then dry it thoroughly in the sun or if small enough, bake in the oven. Best dry it out over a few days, as some woods will grow mould if still damp in a cage.

Big logs i just soak in pool or bath etc for a day as i find logs in the bush even though look fine can be filled with little ants etc.
Never found the need to bake as soaking seems to drown anything in the log if you leave it long enough.

how will you know when its cooked. And bleach ERK!

Bleach destroys the DNA of micro-organisms, so nothing will survive. Hence it must be properly rinsed off. Serious keepers use it to sterilise cage furnishings.

i find that several jugs of boiling hot water works well- and will kill most things, gets into the cracks and holes quite nicely but there are obviously more than one way to do this

I'm getting so sick of the advice given in threads like this.I'm going to get in touch with the relevant authorities and report all those who recommend the senseless torture of innocent logs and branches.The level of persecution aimed at these objects is nothing short of disgraceful.

I'm getting so sick of the advice given in threads like this.I'm going to get in touch with the relevant authorities and report all those who recommend the senseless torture of innocent logs and branches.The level of persecution aimed at these objects is nothing short of disgraceful.

That is a silly post - NO log is innocent and how could torture of a lump of dead wood be considered senseless :lol:

Bleach destroys the DNA of micro-organisms, so nothing will survive. Hence it must be properly rinsed off. Serious keepers use it to sterilise cage furnishings.

Seriouse keepers? As apposed to us humorous ones. Seems everything on this site is toxic except bleach.

I often find logs that have been covered in dirt etc. this is the only time I worry about cleaning them and that is with a high pressure cleaner, blows the dirt right off and brings them up a treat!

Seriouse keepers? As apposed to us humorous ones. Seems everything on this site is toxic except bleach.

Serious keepers are those I refer to that own reptile research and breeding facilities (toxicological companies, zoo facilities, big time breeders) and cannot afford a single infective endo or ecoparasite entering their collection. Therefore all natural materials are sterilised with F10, methylated spirits, TOD, bleach solution, etc. 10% Bleach solution is popular as said it destroys DNA, so for example most viruses will be stripped from logs, rocks, etc, if they are transferred onto them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back