Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bikiescum2003

Reaction score
went on a hunt for the cheapest way to set up hatchie boxes today.... (no reptile shops down here) was at my local hydroponic shop and picked up this Heat 'n' grow set up.. it has a probe thermostat and 3 lenghts of heat tape at 2 meters by 100mm cost me $50 so im pritty happy at the moment 8i have all the coastals in the boxes and have a lenght of heat tape left over...

Awesome, i don't even know where you could purchase a probe thermostat alone for $50. Well done!

that looks great man. i have actually picked up hatchies from people that have all of their offspring in the one enclosure with no records of what has eaten what has shed. cheap and effiecient. good work

that looks great, i hope we can find a bargin like that soon, lol,

cheers,
steve.......

thank you all...
all the pythons are starting to get a bit snappy so hopefully they will feed easy
R1MAN said:
that looks great man. i have actually picked up hatchies from people that have all of their offspring in the one enclosure with no records of what has eaten what has shed. cheap and effiecient. good work
that sounds a bit dodgy to me.. you could end up with a python that just wont feed and there goes your money

In light of that R1MAN, the breeder i got my first snake off would feed them individually but house them all together, and for the ones that had fed he would put a dot of liquid paper on their head. He would know which ones were feeding and the dot would come off at their next shed anyway.

160 watt !! That seems very powerful, doesn't it get very hot ? My hatchling boxes sit on 40 watt heat mats and they get pretty warm with the thermostat.

I use 25 watt cord on a rack system that holds about 50 tubs for stuff that will eat each other,( made by Dave of pilbarapythons, works well, hell hes got to be good for something ha ha), other clutches get housed together but as they feed they are put in to a different tank so you know what has feed and what hasnt. Too easy, beats the hell out of having 1-2 hunderd tuds every where and works fine.
Rob

it does not get that hot. there are 2 heat cords in each heat tape... over 2 meters per tape it works out around 52-54watts per lengh.
thinking about it now rock i might be doing it that way in the next few years.. sounds the easyest way to do it.. i would need another room on the house if i was to use seperate containers next year (if all goes to plan)

You're going to need to mate

lol, don't i know it, i might have to look into rocks idea, still not sure
i would like to do it that way, but i'm not sure i'll have room for 60
little cages either,
and afro i've put you down for the best looking male, lol,

cheers,
steve.....

The Rock said:
I use 25 watt cord on a rack system that holds about 50 tubs for stuff that will eat each other,( made by Dave of pilbarapythons, works well, hell hes got to be good for something ha ha), other clutches get housed together but as they feed they are put in to a different tank so you know what has feed and what hasnt. Too easy, beats the hell out of having 1-2 hunderd tuds every where and works fine.
Rob

just curious to what you classify as 'not eat each other species'?

I have used those exact same tubs and found the work ok. Being picky I don't think they are the best option because a) the bottoms are not flat b) they sit proud of the heated surface leaving a small air gap c) the lids to not detach and d) the clasp does not give a very positive click - escapee hatchlings are not what you want.

From a $2 shop I have bought some plastic click clack style ones which do not have any of the "defects" I was being picky about. For the ones I bought this year I did not try drilling a bunch of small holes but rather used a hole cutter to cut a hole 100mm in diameter and then melted fly screen over the hole and smeared silicone over the rough edges. I am hoping that this will work well and it certainly a lot easier to do and looks neater than spending hours at the drill press.

For Heat tape I put a thin strip down the middle of some 600mm wide chip board, controlled with a probe thermostat and then tiled over it. This works a treat! I have a second panel made up which can run off the same thermostat if required. I have some hatchlings due out the egg in about a week so when it is set up I will take some happy snaps and post them to this thread.

snakehunter said:
just curious to what you classify as 'not eat each other species'?

While some are more prone to canibalism than others - Black Headed's come to mind as being very canabalistic, I separate all python hatchlings soon after hatching. Most Australian species are likely to have a first meal of reptile in the wild, often skink or gecko. I would separate all species for which this is a possibility. It just is not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back