Barking Dogs - ???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wench

Reaction score
Morning all,

Our neighbours have a massive backyard with two little yappy dogs in it.
When they aren't home, and sometimes even when they are home (and they dont seem to care) the dog just bark and bark and bark and bark...

I know its in their nature to bark at everything coz they are lil foxie type things... but last night they barked alllllllllllllllllllllllllll night... woke me up every half hour or so all night.

Is there anything i can do?? i dont wanna go over there coz the neighbours seem kinda scary...

^_^

Thanks

You can try making friends with the dogs so that they stop barking when you ask them to. If neighbours are scary, this may be a problem. We had a similar problem, but neighbours were good. We made friends with the dog (only 1) took it on walks and got it to mind us. I was then able to tell it to be quiet and get results.

Try approaching neighbours nicely in person. Don't do this when you are angry! Express concern about dogs' welfare. If you get nowhere and neighbours are abusive, try the local council. If neighbours are out, make friends with the dogs. A bit of cold roast chicken goes a long way if you make very small pieces!:lol:

Either go over there and speak to them yourself as a neighbour but not a bitchy one and all should be fine or as you don't wont to see if anyone else in the neighbourhood is in the same boat as them and get them to go and see them.
The other option is to ring your council and complain to them about their dogs making too much noise at night.

I have 2 dogs myself and one can get a bit barky but if I am home I will tell him to shutup - normally it may be 2 or 3 barks then he is done.
I got him a bark collar but he was too smart and would only bark when he knew he wasn't wearing it, but his mate decided it would be better used as a chew toy

I wouldn't approach the neighbours if you're scared of them. Just ring your local council and report it and they will come out and speak to the neighbours.

I had to do that with my neighbour cause she used to let her dog bark all the time even when she was home. She originally had a foxie which would never shut up but now she has a sausage dog and it's not as bad and most times she will come out now and tell it to be quiet or she takes it inside.

How come barking dogs never seem to annoy their owners....??? I am talking about when the owners are home of course!

Nothing worse than a barking dog, dont be scared of your neigbours just go over and talk to them nicely just ask them if they could keep the dog inside at night, then they will tell it to SHUTUP if that dosnt work use earplugs at night and buy some thick cutains. I myself wouldnt ring the council as they will asume it could be you and then they could cause trouble for you.
cheers

Our dogs only bark when there is a problem. Good thing about Shar-pei's, not really a barking breed. But we have a little fuzz ball next door who likes to bark and stick his nose through a hole in the fence all the time. He used to be an indoor puppy but now that he's not cute and little anymore and they've dumped him outside with less attention. I also don't think he gets walked much.

Our dogs are very protective of their house and this is intruding to them and they go nuts. So usually there is a reason for barking, even the little yappy dogs. More than likely your neighbours dogs are bored. Small dogs like those need heaps of intellectual stimulation as well as physical excercise. It is obviously a problem your neighbour is not seeing, but I can't think of a nice way of telling your neighbour they are neglecting their dogs needs. Good luck.

i had the same problem, however here in SA the council told me to keep a diary of when they bark and for how long, otherwise they wont do anything.

maybe an anonnymous letter in the letter box might help? (if the neighbours appear unapproachable)

Ive been putting up with the same thing in the last two places ive lived at now ive had exactly the same problems except the neighbours. Dont worry me most people these days are all show no go.Try to confront them politly if that doesnt work find away to make their life uncomfortable for them until they act on your complaint that works.Unfortunatly these days not many people understand the meaning of common courtesy.

How come barking dogs never seem to annoy their owners....??? I am talking about when the owners are home of course!

i guess its like parents dont seem to realise how horrible their screaming kids sound,...must be love or something,... :)

thanks everyone for responses :) i didn't wanna call teh council coz they would know it was probably me and egg my car or something hahaha.
they get walked nearly every day (i hear them leaving) and when they bring the dogs outta the gate they bark at each other.. i think they just like barking coz they like the sounds of their own voices lol.

i might drag my b/f over with me :p hes big and scary and tattoo'd, he can be my body guard hahahah...

i only been in the house 2 months and dont know a lot about the neighbours.. just that there seems to be about 15 ppl living there? lol... there is a different person there every week or so... and kids that come and go.
kinda wierd (they are behind a tree/bush thing so i cant see much anyway)

ahhh well.... ill try going over there tonight if they still barking :D
thanks

THe problem with confronting them and asking them to sort out the barking - if nothing happens and you have to go to council then they will DEFINITELY know it is you! Are there any other neighbours nearby? If you just report them straight to council then you could probably hope that they won't know for sure it is you!

a lesson i learnt the HARD way as I've got two foxies, love thy neighbour!!!!!!!! I bit the bullet!!!! too long of a story and don't craete waves

a lesson i learnt the HARD way as I've got two foxies, love thy neighbour!!!!!!!! I bit the bullet!!!! too long of a story and don't craete waves

i dont get it??? did your dogs bark a lot?? what happened.
It doesn't bother me too much during the day coz a dog will bark - its just really annoying
but the barking all night stuff isn't cool, im a light sleeper as it is so :(

i wouldnt throw treats over the fence when theyre barking, that would only encourage it, maybe give them treats when theyre not barking? positive reinforcement works wonders, but yeh, if you get nowhere with the neighours then keep a diary of it and report it to the council

Nicely tell the neighbours that the dogs are barking at night and making it hard to sleep. Suggest that the dogs might sleep indoors. They are undoubtedly having a great time hunting rats, mice and possums in the yard, so their barking is reinforced by the excitement of the hunt. Barking solutions like collars and de-barking require a lot more commitment from your neighbours. See if they will just keep the dogs inside after dark.

You can actually ring the council and make a complaint and ask them to keep your details annonymus.

They will go over there, and (in my sisters case) sat outside her house at all hours to see if the dogs were barking.

They then inforced a dog training school which they had to take the dog too, i think it was Bark Busters, which cost my sister a packet.

But was inforced by the council and she ha to do it.

Or you could throw a bone over every night would shut them up for while ...

if i threw a bone the dogs would eat each other lol you hear them fighting alllllllll the time.
might just go over tonight, if they do nothing then.... ill deal with that when it happens haha

Definitely the best plan. Take the b/f for backup. If nothing has been done after a couple of days, you can tell the council this. (Start keeping that diary...)

PS - what sounds like fighting may be playing. One of our neighbours thinks the rottie and fluff dog fight when we are gone. They are actually playing with their rope, but when the rottie gets it she runs around and the fluff dog runs after her barking like a maniac. Then when they tug he growls, etc. It's very funny to watch, but sounds awful!

Dogs that bark constantly are not getting enough stimulation, they probably don't get walked often and get shut in the yard. It's very hard to do anything about this because unless the owners start walking their dogs and improves their quality of life it isn't going to stop easily, making friends with the dogs over the fence isn't a good idea, they may be aggressive or if you give them attention for barking they may bark at your side of the fence to bring you back outside, the best thing you can do is put in a complaint to the council, then you don't have to deal with them face to face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back