Barking Dogs - ???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont get it??? did your dogs bark a lot?? what happened.
It doesn't bother me too much during the day coz a dog will bark - its just really annoying
but the barking all night stuff isn't cool, im a light sleeper as it is so :(

long story VVVEEERRRYYY short. my girlfirend (whom was living with me) complained (to the council) about the neighbours three dogs barking which turn started my two barking!!! and my two generally konw not to do it cause that's how they were trained. next doors dogs ar crazy...always barking 24/7!!! cause i'm a shift worker AND on-call worker, i need all the sleep i can get so you could imagine my frustration. girlfriend was the same. anyhow, the neighbour next door to me (on the other side), called up the council and complained. so the council got 2 reports about dogs barking in the area. then over the road complained about my two and next doors three dogs barking all the time so now there's 3 complaints. council came over and saw that it was all five dogs creating racket, i got a warning and a $150 fine. next door got the same. they told me if it happened on a frequent basis, all dogs would have to be put down.

so what did i have to do, i invested in dog obedience (again!!!), didn't work so i invested in two shock collars and a fence shocker dooby. you don't hear a whisper out of my two now no matter how much activity there is.

that's it in a nutshell!

-settle

Barking Dogs.

Dear Wench,
I like all the suggestions supplied. Here's one my mum used. Everytime the dog barked at night and woke her up. She would ring the owners and ask them to shut the dog up. Hennce, they were awake as much as mum. The problem stopped pretty quickly.
Cheers.

long story VVVEEERRRYYY short. my girlfirend (whom was living with me) complained (to the council) about the neighbours three dogs barking which turn started my two barking!!! and my two generally konw not to do it cause that's how they were trained. next doors dogs ar crazy...always barking 24/7!!! cause i'm a shift worker AND on-call worker, i need all the sleep i can get so you could imagine my frustration. girlfriend was the same. anyhow, the neighbour next door to me (on the other side), called up the council and complained. so the council got 2 reports about dogs barking in the area. then over the road complained about my two and next doors three dogs barking all the time so now there's 3 complaints. council came over and saw that it was all five dogs creating racket, i got a warning and a $150 fine. next door got the same. they told me if it happened on a frequent basis, all dogs would have to be put down.

so what did i have to do, i invested in dog obedience (again!!!), didn't work so i invested in two shock collars and a fence shocker dooby. you don't hear a whisper out of my two now no matter how much activity there is.

that's it in a nutshell!

-settle
arrrrrrr suburbia life dont ya love it ,,,,,,,,,,NOT ....feel sorry for you guys , like rats in a cage , out here my dogs bark at real things like foxes hares rabbits roos dingos and other wildlife not some spaced out junkie comming home from a fix and as my neighbours are like a few kms away they dont give a crap .......

Dear Wench,
I like all the suggestions supplied. Here's one my mum used. Everytime the dog barked at night and woke her up. She would ring the owners and ask them to shut the dog up. Hennce, they were awake as much as mum. The problem stopped pretty quickly.
Cheers.

Now there's an idea! Though you would need to know thier phone number,.... on the other hand your big scarry tatoo'd BF should be just as efective with a friendly knock on the door at midnight....;)

How come barking dogs never seem to annoy their owners....??? I am talking about when the owners are home of course!

My dogs annoy me when they bark, usually they will bark at cats, foxes and dodgy ppl the most, but also go off at male(?) brush tail possums which make that noise that is even more annoying. Being rotties they have a nice bark unlike scrubby/goanna food type dogs so it isnt anywhere near as bad. They also shut up when they are told to.

We had to get our first rottie de-barked. He outsmarted the barking collar by developing a high-pitched howl. It took 2 surgeries to get the vocal chords fully removed. Even after that he still managed a quiet (but adequately threatening) bark. Thus, I've been on the owner end of things and have sympathy both ways.

thats awful, unless u were gonna feed it to the owners.

its natural that dogs bark, its the owners who should be punished for not controlling it. :(

How come barking dogs never seem to annoy their owners....??? I am talking about when the owners are home of course!

OHH believe me, our two annoy the heck outta us - at night, they either go over to bark at the back fence where there is a new pup, or the corner where their blessed dog jumps up at the fence to annoy our dogs, or one of ours yaps at the other one to get it to go play with it!!! and what keeps US awake is each other, as one lifts a head off the pillow to shout at them through the open window, the other wakes up, who in turn, ten minutes later, repeats the action, waking the first one up!!!!! and vice versa, ad infinitum!!!!! GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, our bedroom is out the back of the house...

My dog comes inside at night. The only thing he ever barks and/or growls at is if something moves on the pebbles outside my window. Since he knows what a cane toad sounds like when it jumps, he doesn't bark all that often :)

arrrrrrr suburbia life dont ya love it ,,,,,,,,,,NOT ....feel sorry for you guys , like rats in a cage , out here my dogs bark at real things like foxes hares rabbits roos dingos and other wildlife not some spaced out junkie comming home from a fix and as my neighbours are like a few kms away they dont give a crap .......

Ditto rbb, my dog could bark from sunup to sundown & nobody would hear him:lol:

Had this problem a few months ago with a big stupid rottie next door. It barked all day, howled all night. Most nights it was left there alone to make as much noise as it wanted.
Solution was to put a valium in a sausage. Within half an hour the noise stopped, one pill would get us about 36 hours of peace and quiet, until the meds wore off and we were back at square one.

Well dont tell the council because often they then request that the owners have the dog 'de-barked'...in other words, have their voice box surgically removed. This isnt very pleasant for the dog and as much as you hate the stupid yappy little things...it isnt very humane.
Maybe stick couple of citronella collars in the letter box with an anonymous note??..lol
Or just go to the owners and ask them REALLY nicely (if your scared of them..lol) to do something about it.

ps.I fully expect to be flamed for giving the dog a chill pill - but when the owners are only home maybe one day a week (we think they rented the place for something dodgy)
and you hear barking constantly, so loud it sounds like the dog is in yr house, it leaves you angry and tired all the time.
I have health and pain issues, and its hard enough to get to sleep anyway, let alone trying to sleep when it sounds like you have a rottie going off tap in yr bedroom.

You can go through the months of crap it takes to get any sort of action from the council, but what do you do in the meantime, rapidly go insane?

Luckily they got rid of it after a cpl months. It was obviously one of those dogs that get shipped around every few mnths as no one can tolerate it.

Well dont tell the council because often they then request that the owners have the dog 'de-barked'...in other words, have their voice box surgically removed. This isnt very pleasant for the dog and as much as you hate the stupid yappy little things...it isnt very humane.

De-barking is only an option after other measures (like collars) have failed. It is a surgery and may not be pleasant, but is more humane than having an angry neighbour poison a dog. We had our dog de-barked after a collar failed and someone anonymously threatened to put snail bait in our yard. We didn't think the dog would eat it, but were very afraid our toddler would. If this person had just told us the collar had failed, we would have done the same thing without panicing about the safety of our children.

Sarah24 said:
Well dont tell the council because often they then request that the owners have the dog 'de-barked'...in other words, have their voice box surgically removed.

How could something like that be legal?

ps.I fully expect to be flamed for giving the dog a chill pill - but when the owners are only home maybe one day a week (we think they rented the place for something dodgy)
and you hear barking constantly, so loud it sounds like the dog is in yr house, it leaves you angry and tired all the time.
I have health and pain issues, and its hard enough to get to sleep anyway, let alone trying to sleep when it sounds like you have a rottie going off tap in yr bedroom.

You can go through the months of crap it takes to get any sort of action from the council, but what do you do in the meantime, rapidly go insane?

Luckily they got rid of it after a cpl months. It was obviously one of those dogs that get shipped around every few mnths as no one can tolerate it.

I certainly wouldn't criticise you for doing that. I don't believe anyone has a right to affect someone's life that badly and when landlords or the local council will do nothing, then I would take matters into my own hands as well. I've had some really bad neighbours in the unit beside me and I'm fed up to the back teeth of being disturbed by these 'idiots'. IF the dog next door to me was to become a problem I would not hesitate to Nurofen the little dear. A couple of pills in a meatball, and peace for a few hours.

How could something like that be legal?
The 'voice box' (larynx) is not removed, the vocal chords (muscles within the larynx) are cut. It is only legal when other options to stop barking have been tried and failed. It does not make the dog totally silent, but it cuts down on the noise a lot.

that's it in a nutshell!

-settle

I did exactly the same, i got my Bluey (R.I.P) a shock collar because she was a constant barker, it was the best thing i ever got. She was quite almost straight away. Theyre great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back