Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I saw that episode and all three hits connected and it was over in a matter of seconds. That is humane in my book.

u call bashing a snake on the head 3 times over coz the first two hits didn't connect properly humane??

the vidieo og him crossing that lava bridge was just and example of how to cross it. it would be quite unlikely to get evrything that he comes across in a 100 km stretch so they do move around a little bit. and as some1 else said i would like to see you all do half the things he dose. there is an episode that he is in that he crosses a rope but in the background there is a bridge...he is showing you how to cross the rope not cross the bridge. his advice has come in handy for me. i needed to find some water while on a hike because my hike buddy and i were out and we found some in a dried up river bed. its like the cops shooting a "crim" with a taser. the person stands still and it is cut off very quickly wearas in the real world the crim would be running and moving.

Using the tools that he does i think he does a pretty dam good job of killing the animals he eats humanely. He kills nearly all vertabrates by either decapitation or crushing their skulls. Which is pretty good imo.

I agree, I'm also a hunter but... eugh. They way this guy does anything for 'shock value' in order to get ratings, and, in the end, money in his pocket revolts me.

I had never heard of him until I started reading all the threads on here so whenever I saw it on TV I made sure I avoided it, I deplore killing animals for entertainment. The below was taken from a Bat Conservation website and I'd like to hear him explain how you can justify what he did?

From Bat Conservation International:

A recent episode of Discovery Channel's Man vs. Wild featured Bear Grylls
gleefully killing bats with a homemade club. The clip, which shows Grylls
throwing a flame in a cave to "smoke out" the bats, swatting them to the
ground and then stomping on them, has aired internationally and [video=youtube;guSY9bTdwI4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guSY9bTdwI4[/video], allowing for continued access.

(Update: Since this article was published, the video has been removed from YouTube).

Intentionally or not, this clip perpetuates negative attitudes toward bats and could generate senseless copycat activity and/or the type of vandalism that is driving many bat species to the brink of extinction. Only four months ago, a Kentucky man was sentenced to eight months in jail after pleading guilty to beating to death 105 endangered Indiana bats.

It is high time these "nature education" shows demonstrated environmental responsibility instead of sensationalism posing as education.

no it wouldnt its just a show ? your making it a big deal, well at least now we know how to kill bats if we ever get hungry.

Now i know how to catch a bat if i am stuck in the wilderness and find a cave.

Just what he was looking at doing...... educating on survival!

Your response is pretty ignorant. You need to see these actions yourself to make an on balance judgment. From what i have seen of this show all the killing is done for food, not fun.

I had never heard of him until I started reading all the threads on here so whenever I saw it on TV I made sure I avoided it, I deplore killing animals for entertainment. The below was taken from a Bat Conservation website and I'd like to hear him explain how you can justify what he did?

From Bat Conservation International:

A recent episode of Discovery Channel's Man vs. Wild featured Bear Grylls
gleefully killing bats with a homemade club. The clip, which shows Grylls
throwing a flame in a cave to "smoke out" the bats, swatting them to the
ground and then stomping on them, has aired internationally and been posted on YouTube, allowing for continued access.

(Update: Since this article was published, the video has been removed from YouTube).

Intentionally or not, this clip perpetuates negative attitudes toward bats and could generate senseless copycat activity and/or the type of vandalism that is driving many bat species to the brink of extinction. Only four months ago, a Kentucky man was sentenced to eight months in jail after pleading guilty to beating to death 105 endangered Indiana bats.

It is high time these "nature education" shows demonstrated environmental responsibility instead of sensationalism posing as education.

its good to hear someone with obvious hunting and fishing experience whose done some time in the bush not to winge and bicker about this mans tv programme, of course its not real no tv programm ever is can anyone name one?. His show is about promoting survival instincts in people if they ever find themselves lost in our ever decreasing wilderness nothing more.
When has he ever killed an endangered species? All of his shows i have seen he differentiates between the protected and unprotected animals which can be eaten and he always advocates instant humane killing of animals. Beleive me bashing on the head, while not pretty, is very humane. Just think about how you kill all your rats and mice.

Using the tools that he does i think he does a pretty dam good job of killing the animals he eats humanely. He kills nearly all vertabrates by either decapitation or crushing their skulls. Which is pretty good imo.

fair enough.

are you a 100 percent vegetarian if not your response is not valid. Everyday chickens, pigs, cows, lamb, fish just to name a few are killed in order to feed humans why not whinge at them and call them cruel i guess not watching an animal get killed for food makes it ok to eat then yeh.
It's just a bat... it's just cruelty... it's just the a few lives. ;)

Whilst we are arguing whether he is genuine or a phony, he is laughing all the way to the bank. At least he is not stupid, we know that. But even smart people can turn themselves into a laughing stock.
I used to laugh and then I stopped watching it. I have no problem with him now.
By the way, what's his real name? The phony one sounds really stupid.

His real name is Edward Michael Grylls....Looks like you have something in common ;)

are you a 100 percent vegetarian if not your response is not valid. Everyday chickens, pigs, cows, lamb, fish just to name a few are killed in order to feed humans why not whinge at them and call them cruel i guess not watching an animal get killed for food makes it ok to eat then yeh.

Nope, due to health reasons, although I avoid meat and animal by-products wherever I can. I just don't think killing of wildlife is justifiable by television ratings. ;)

mayb instead of killing and eating a few animals he should rip out the can of baked beans and the bag of flour and have a good old cookup just like malcolm douglas does

I find it amazing that some people think his survival hints are useful! Just on the extremely off chance that anyone is actually in a survival situation and considers using his advice - DON'T! What he recommends is more often than not going to decrease your chances of survival. He puts on a show which appeals to people who don't know anything about survival, if you do, you'll not only laugh at how ridiculously fake his setups are, but also how bad his advice is. Genuine survival tactics aren't going to make an exciting show.

If you do want to watch a half decent survival show, Survivorman (Les somethingorother) is a good watch, although he doesn't put the false stunts and stuff in, so if you like shallow, false, empty showmanship, you won't like it and should stick to "Bear".

Wow another Bear thread...whats this number 100 for the year? :) I depised the man and the show but since the last 99 threads I have started watching it regularly and even though it is staged, over-dramatised and for entertainment purposes it does just that....entertain me! I enjoy the show, it gives me a good laugh and I get to see a lot of cool countryside. I don't care anymore that he kills things, its not like he is the only person out there that kills animals for no reason...killing one snake, bat, crab, fish, whale here and there isn't going to make a difference. At least he doesn't let them go to waste.

A change of tune aye? :p

I think someone has a little crush

I don't think anyone denies that of course he will have some other food source while filming, and I don't think anyone denies he has stayed in hotels either (I highly doubt they would go to the trouble of flying back EVERY night though.)

Filming an episode would take more than a week. You might be different but I certainly don't except him or his crew to stay out EVERY single night putting them at more of a risk than need be, just to please myself?! I would rather them alive and well, to construct the final episode for us to watch, enjoy and maybe learn something!

The point of the show is to inform the viewer with hints and tips on how to survive, I don't see how him staying at his camp every night helps this goal at all.. the camera is off for majority of the night anyway so it's really not teaching the viewer anything.. watching him sleep and maybe scratch his *** isn't teaching us all too much. ;)

I stand by what I said though, I would like to see most of you do what he does, even with a hotel some of the time!

no mate it didn't mean that at all i know he does what you said but he's not gonna say o this is how you do such and such ,but im not gonna eat it cause im flying back to the hotel for steak and gravy ;)

I like his shows and watch them when I can. I don't over analyse them. He got his nickname when he was a child apparently. Some of his expeditions are used to raise funds for Childrens Hospitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back