Bearded Dragon & Stumpy in same enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

parsons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can you put the above in the same enclosure together...do they need to be each a particular sex to live in harmony?

They do fine together if the enclosure is large enough and is suited to both of them, you should be careful when feeding, Shingles have to exert alot of effort to catch a cricket, and don't appreciate when it's stolen right in front of their noses, and some more greedy Shingles may decide to pop the beardies head like a grape ;),
I kept them together for years, but had one shingle I had to remove or watch closely when being fed, and never left insects free to roam the enclosure... problems only ever arose at feed time.

you can house them together aslong as there about the same size. i house my beardie with 2 blueys and a cunningham skink who sadly died this morning

LOL, yeah... I was wondering how you could manage to kill a cunningham as they are tough as....but that would do it...sorry for your loss.. Raptors come back to the same spot once they have learnt where to hunt so be wary about the rest of your herps

yeah i brang my little blueys inside now only the turtles are out there.the bloody things come and eat our babie chickens aswell

Hi guys

Further to this thread - I just tried introducing my male (11 month old) beardie into my Shingleback enclosure - the Shingles (1m, 1f, adults) seemed fine but my beardie reacted badly (beard out, open mouth, tried to jump out of the enclosure!). After about 10 minutes of him being agitated, I thought it better to move him back to his old enclosure. The enclosure is a decent size (120cmx60x60) so that wouldn't seem to be the problem.

Should I persist and leave him in longer, try again in a couple of days, or just forget about it? I would like to house them together due to space needs etc

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

They will usually settle down once use to them, keep introducing them for short periods. Often beardies, esp competitive males may learn some bad habbits off large skinks, mainly the taste for canned pet meat.... As for other skinks, some large male bluetongues won't tolerate Shingles with them ( like my old one) and will try to kill them on site, others will be fine with them...

My shingles are nasty once theyre used toa area. The somehow caught and ate all my finches when i had them together in a avairy. I dont think i would try to have a beardy co-exist with those pair.

I had a big shingle that would of eaten your finches... her favorite was rats and mice... but she was fine with the beardies though she was the one I had to be careful of at food time... even rancidly hungry shingles wouldn't look at an adult beardy as food.... but if that beardy steals their food they may take it upon themselves to stop the problem happening twice.

Well my pair chase the dog with mouths open when he walks past the avairy. I think i might have convinced them that theyre invincible

Hi

Thanks for that info, I will try the introductions again. Sounds like shingles have quite the personalities!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back