Bearded dragons out-side?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptileCove

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

i am not aloud any bearded dragons for like 9 months until i move house but i was just wandering are you aloud to keep them out-side in a big out-side enclosure all year round? Will they be happy out-side as happy as they would be inside? also, would an adult bearded dragon that has been in-doors it's hole life be ok to be switched to out-side? last question, would hatchling bearded dragons be ok out-side in there own enclosure obiously? Obiously the enclosures would have mesh ontop and be fully secure. Once again, i don't have any bearded dragons yet, just planning ahead :lol:

Thanks, Harrison..

you live on the gold coast so you could do that with eastern bearded dragons because they occur naturaly in your area, however
youcouldn't do that with central beardies because the occur in a much hotter eviroment.

harrison,
in summer move your bearded dragon out days at first , weeks and so on get it used to the sun ligh and weather conditions find a place that is half shade half sun prefered under a tree so when very hot the tree provides shade for him to , but you could start now by slowly giving it more and more time outdoors then by the time you move its fully adapted for outside weather,

hope this helps

so would i put him out for a day and night, in for a day and night, and so on. wor would i just put him out in the day time?

And thanks to both of you : D

Hey Harrison. I keep all my centrals outside. The trick is to make sure not to put them out for good if it's still too cool of a nighttime, so you'd be looking at the end of October/November for where u are. They have then acclimatised for when winter sets in.
If they're put out too early, or you live in a very humid area, you have the risk of chest infections with them. As said Easterns will cope with the climate as native to the area.
An adult who's lived inside all it's life will cope fine once they realise they're safe from predators, but these are more prone to chest infections if put out too early.
Good drainage, insulated hides enclosed on the bottom to protect them against moisture during the winter months, a couple of native plants for shade & lots of sunny spots for basking & all's good, so observe where u live to make sure u pick the sunniest spot to build the enclosure, with sun all day to that area, & take into account the winter sun aspect.
They love it outside, are a lot more active but therefore eat more lol, & u can't beat the health benefits of natural uvb.

That's why the importance of drainage & hides - u just leave them out in it. Lot of the time u find them sitting out in the rain, soaking up the water & not bothered at all!
Only other thing I forgot to mention is I prefer not to leave them out over winter until their second yr, but only my preference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back